bilc
Jackleopapa

should atheism be deemed a religion or a philosophy? yes for religion, no for philosophy.

Jackleopapa has forfeited round #1.

bilc

Con

I personally believe that atheism is a philosophy. Calling it a religion implies that atheists believe in some kind of supernatural deity. The only supernatural deity I can think of made by atheists is the Flying Spaghetti Monster( FSM for short). In case you don't know who the FSM is, read the Loose Canon( the Pastafarian special book). Back to the point, the whole intention of atheism is not believing in any magic force. Every real religion believes in one; even Buddhists believe in reincarnation and karma. However, philosophy is the study of the universe and the hows and whys of life( and everything else). For example, the meaning of life the universe and everything: 42... according to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. For these reasons, I believe that atheism is a philosophy and not a religion. What do you think though. I'd like to know.
Posted by KostasT.1526 2 months ago
KostasT.1526
It all depends on how you define "religion". Provide a definition, and then you may have a debate. Furthermore, all religions are philosophies too, so the win is already yours if you argue properly.