Debater_Girl
XimenBao

should beyonce have dropped out of high school to join destinys child

XimenBao

Debater_Girl

Con

I think that she shouldn't have. Especially because she has a baby to attend to she really shouldn't be trying to go back now. Nothing is worth your education.
XimenBao

Pro

A high school education increases an average lifetime earning potential approximately $400,000 beyond the lifetime earnings of someone with no high school[1].

Beyonce made $87,000,000 in from 2009-2010 alone [2].

This Beyonce's choice was clearly worth more than a typical education.

Bonus fact, she's getting her GED [3] so its also a case of both rising to stardom and getting her education.

[1]http://www.tracer2.com...
[2]http://www.billboard.com...
[3]http://www.usatoday.com...
Debater_Girl

Con

While that is true, she can't just find a nanny to take care of her child. Then, Ivy will form a special connection with the nanny and not Beyonce. Jay-Z goes on tour almost every three months and a child needs their parents. With around the
Beyonce wants nothing but the best for her little girl — including a total of six nannies! The 30-year-old has two nannies on call at all times to assure Blue Ivy Carter "has the best of care," a friend of the singer told In Touch. "Her diaper is changed almost every hour."That's not the only lavish treatment Blue Ivy is receiving. Proud papa Jay-Z "bought her diamond earrings and a platinum bracelet," reveals the friend. Blue's parents even bought her a $600 thousand gold rocking horse! You now that if you have to buy your daughter those material things and hire nannies to do your dirty work because you didn't get your education. You know that you are failing as a parent.
XimenBao

Pro

Con is off topic. The debate is about whether Beyonce should have dropped out of high school to join Destiny's Child. Con's R2 was entirely about whether Beyonce is a good parent or not, an issue which arose more than a decade after the point in question. If Con wants Beyonce's parenting skills considered as evidence in the debate, she needs to tie it to not finishing high school.

As it is, Con simply asserts that Beyonce is buying her child expensive toys and extensive child care because she didn't get her education. There's no reason to think that extensive child care and expensive toys are caused by a lack of education, nor is there a clear harm involved in it anyway.

To make progress in this line of argument, Con would have to:

1. Show that Beyonce is spending an unusual amount of time away from her child.
2. Show that this is happening solely or primarily because of a lack of education.
3. Show that this is detrimental in some way.

I suspect that Con will fail at point 2, because Beyonce's career as a singer/celebrity is likely much more of an issue than any GED courses she's taking.

Now, that might raise the second half of the resolution and the question about whether Beyonce should have become a musician, but as I showed in R1, that was a sucessful decision for her. The relevant question about parenting quality would be, "should a successful celebrity have children?" After all, the decision to focus on music rather than high school was made in the late 1990's, so that's the context we should examine it in - the context where she was already signed with Columbia Records in 1996[1]. The decision of whether to become a parent is a seperate discussion, as she'd already become a successful celebrity by that point.

http://www.xtimeline.com...
Debater_Girl

Con

You know I cant even lie I was off topic. And since you have proven yourself a stronger debater i hereby forfeit. Congratulations. I may seem like a loser or a punk but I'm not. I just know how to accept when I'm losing and give in.
XimenBao

Pro

While I personally subscribe to the "If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t" principle, Con's concession is arguably the more classy approach.
Posted by XimenBao 1 year ago
XimenBao
Oh my, I think I may lose S&G on this one.
Vote Placed by JacobHession 1 year ago
JacobHession
Debater_GirlXimenBaoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear Con victory.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 1 year ago
Maikuru
Debater_GirlXimenBaoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded, though Pro earned the victory regardless.