thedebatingdragon
independentthought

should black history month exist ?

thedebatingdragon

Con

Many argue that black history month is the month to commemorate the brilliant actions and achievments of black members of society throughout history, however the fault in this ideology is that these commoemorations all have a link and strongly revolve around the black societies darkest moment in time, the slave trade. I strongly agree that black history was excluded throughout the slave trade, the generations lost and mutilated throughout this period bought forward an abruct end to all hopes and possible great minds who could have defined the future. In my opinion the essence of black history has the soul objective of trying to "repay" the black society for the wrong doings of the white community and their mistakes. The question is, after centuries of discrimination and segregation aswell as torture mutilation and the exile of plenty of generations, is one month all they owe?
independentthought

Pro

I do not believe that there is a need for black history month, or any other minority month for that matter. As the instructor stated, we cannot simply quantify all black americans accomplishments in one month. As well, creating a black history month helps create a more polarized society rather than a united one. Why should black history be any different than american history; you see we have it all wrong in my opinion. It all goes back to the civil rights movement of the 1960's when Black Americans were finally getting the rights they deserved.
thedebatingdragon

Con

thedebatingdragon forfeited this round.
independentthought

Pro

independentthought forfeited this round.
thedebatingdragon

Con

thedebatingdragon forfeited this round.
independentthought

Pro

Posted by kkkkatie126 1 year ago
kkkkatie126
Of course black history month should exist. It helps educate us all,especially white people,about the rich history and culture of African Americans. I'm so glad my school takes time during February to educate us all about the great achievements of black people. I'm also so thankful to black people for inventing many great inventions. I love black people.
Posted by jennabarzak 3 years ago
jennabarzak
I don't really think that black history month is even remotely correlated to white society trying to "repay" blacks for the evils of slavery. I think it's more so just to celebrate minorities in a white-dominated country, as there are heritage months for other ethnicities (Latin/Hispanic - September, Native American - November, etc). This seems like it would be an interesting debate though. Good luck!
Vote Placed by ej3467273 3 years ago
ej3467273
thedebatingdragonindependentthoughtTied
Reasons for voting decision: All forfeited. Pity, really could have been a good debate.