coltondstewart
TD_Cole

should cannabis be made legal

coltondstewart

coltondstewart

Pro

I personally think cannabis aka weed should be made legal. Personally I don't smoke it or use it in any way possible but it does have many health benefits such as pain killer, muscle relaxant, stress reliever and the list goes on and on. But personally why should tobacco be legal and not weed, weed has more health benefits but yet its illegal. End the war on drugs its just wasting tax payers money.
TD_Cole

Con

A. It's war on one drug your talking, just weed. War on drugs implies other drugs.
- War on drugs: Coke, heroine, crack, PCP, etc.

B. Weed is not in the constitution illegal anywhere specifically. Thus being said every state has the right to legalize this themselves through a vote. There are a few states that have already done this via voting. Some have for medial only, and others have fully.

http://www.rollingstone.com...
Look at the United States on this, it shows it.

http://www.ehow.com...

C. Read every answer why Marijuana is illegal.
http://civilliberty.about.com...

Here's a quote from http://www.cnbc.com... why we shouldn't.

"Alcohol-related costs total over $185 billion while federal and states collected an estimated $14.5 billion in tax revenue; similarly, tobacco use costs over $200 billion but only $25 billion is collected in taxes. These figures show that the costs of legal alcohol are more than 12 times the total tax revenue collected, and that the costs of legal tobacco are about 8 times the tax revenue collected. This is an economically disastrous tradeoff.

The costs of legalizing marijuana would not only be financial. New marijuana users would not be limited to adults if marijuana were legalized, just as regulations on alcohol and tobacco do not prevent use by youth. Rapidly accumulating new research shows that marijuana use is associated with increases in a range of serious mental and physical problems. Lack of public understanding on this relationship is undermining prevention efforts and adversely affecting the nation"s youth and their families."

That's just two paragraphs on why we shouldn't legalize marijuana. Read the full story I dare you. Also it makes complete sense.
coltondstewart

Pro

Yes some states may have already legalized it but if the united states of America legalized it that may solve this economical crisis that we are going through. Because millions of Americans use weed, and really what's the difference between weed and tobacco. Because really tobacco causes people to pay millions of dollars every year in health care expenses and weed does help with medical conditions like glaucoma for example. And I'm not saying that weed wouldn't but it could also might lower the suicide rate in America because instead of people going through drastic measures because of bullying to the extent of taking their own life, the could use weed as a stress reliever.
TD_Cole

Con

Ever hear the saying, "Two wrongs don't make it right."
Implying both cigarettes and alcohol both being factors that are wrong. Which just because they are wrong for being illegal, doesn't make weed right to be legal.

Also, I bet you didn't read that story. There are plenty of reasons why weed isn't legalized across the United States. Not only on a financial view but also on weed impairs vision to people and haves some of the same temporary side effects, another being it slows down reaction time although weed appears to make people more aware. Imagine all the idiot drivers that drink and drive. Then all the idiot drivers that text and drive. Both illegal, but both are the leading causes of car crashes and deaths via car accidents. Now imagine a whole new set of people that will be prone to this, it's in the millions. Also if it is fully legal across the United States this is set to cause millions of more people driving impaired on the road. Don't we have enough of idiots driving impaired on the roads as it is? It might even cost more tax payers money because not only do they crackle down on drunk driving at it is, now they might even need to give police budget a way more then necessary budget based on this fact alone. Millions of more people with this to add on to the drunk drivers. Might be called in for more officers and road checks. Things like that. But that's just a theory.

Other's think great it'll bring money and lower the cost. Correct it will bring money but not as much as you think. Taxes are so high right? But cigarettes and alcohol alone bank in billions of dollars in taxes. There are way more users of that just with one but both combined then weed. On the other hand it'd imply the cost of weed to go down. This is incorrect, not only would it be taxed and go up, but the fact is the weed isn't costly on the legal status, more on the lines of how much quality and quantity there are.

Thus being said, there are many key factors that are more than just biased same old opinions of advocates of weed would say.

Another brought up the question if it is legal, then it would lower crime rates and gangs. How does one draw to a conclusion like that is completely hearsay.

A. Crime rates don't lower just because something illegal becomes legal, yes for having intent to sell weed (by possessing weed plants, or a lot of weed) but if you have only enough to just say you was going to smoke it. More than likely they will confiscate it and give you a court date to pay a fine for having it.

B. Gangs wouldn't automatically stop if it did. It might even make them act out more. Even steal from stores to get weed.

Nevertheless. Plenty of examples why weed being legal is not better than illegal.
coltondstewart

Pro

If the USA goverment were to leagalize cannabis it would save unknown amounts of taxpayers money because not only jail cost for the people who are put in jail because they are caught with it. The goverment would also save on tracking and busting dealers who may just be trying to support his or her family. I'm not saying that people should be allowed to carry quarter of a million dollars worth of grow that much but put a reasonable allowance on it. Like for example your allowed to carry 8oz of it and you have to have a license to sell or grow it. America is broke, we need a way to get taxes the was a financial statement that by 2020 America will have owed China enough money that they will have owned America. We need money and one in three Americans smoke weed so if we can tax it we will approximately get 39.7 billion dollars in taxes if weed is taxed and the government has been missing all of this since at least the year 2000. So if taxes for weed were at 10% the government would have been making this since like I said the year 2000.
TD_Cole

Con

A. If we legalise rape, murder, stealing, coke, PCP, etc. Less people would be going to jail too. I see no justification there.

B. You only get arrested for weed for the intent to sell it. Same law goes for legal drugs. If your not permitted to sell it to the public, and there's intent to sell, you goto jail. What's your point?

C. So there's justification to sell narcotics no matter what it may be if it's to support one's family? They'd still be selling it illegally.

My opponent hasn't realized is the United States has laws and stipulations that comes with selling legal drugs. You would have to be permitted to sell marijuana. These people that sell it to "support their families" would lose twice as much. Not only would it be sold in stores but it would take away the power of that drug dealer. Everything sold legally in this field has to be passed through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). This being said, those people would still go to jail if caught because what they sell still isn't legal. They'd probably get in even more trouble via tax invasion and getting audited.

Plenty more but I rest my case.
Posted by jeunine 3 years ago
jeunine
Umm alcoholics...td cole...the one drug you can die from withdrawl.
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
The vote: How was I illogical? Not only pro saying nothing but hearsay sanarios, but I actually proved his points to still be wrong. (Not looking to change your mind or influence others, I'm looking for insight.)
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
His theories of people going to jail for selling it is still wrong. I proved it upon point. But I agree it could have went farther but there was no need for me to put up more of a fight then necessary.

Also if you want to get technical.

LONG TERM EFFECTS
http://www.drugabuse.gov...
"However it is ingested, THC acts upon specific molecular targets on brain cells, called cannabinoid receptors. These receptors are ordinarily activated by chemicals similar to THC called endocannabinoids, such as anandamide. These are naturally occurring in the body and are part of a neural communication network (the endocannabinoid system) that plays an important role in normal brain development and function.

The highest density of cannabinoid receptors is found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement. Marijuana overactivates the endocannabinoid system, causing the high and other effects that users experience. These include distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory."

Yeah, still is pretty bad once you think about it right. Like I said I could have went a lot farther than this. I merely rendered it unimportant.
Posted by drhead 3 years ago
drhead
Still, a lot of your arguments and arguments provided in your sources are based on the current state of affairs. This debate would relate more to the effects of legalizing weed, and it is a topic that should have been discussed further. For example, people who already smoke weed obviously don't care about it being illegal, therefore it is more likely that they will drive while under the influence. In addition, it should have been asked what would be the effects of refocusing the resources used on busting cannabis dealers to instead focus on hard drugs like heroin, which is much more addictive and damaging than cannabis by a long shot. I'd also question if the only reason cannabis is a 'gateway drug' is because it is illegal and would make people more open to the idea of using illegal drugs. This isn't my debate, but I do think these would be some effective rebuttals and arguments that could have been used by pro.
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
@drhead - But I came to disprove his theories why it should be legal. His reasoning is not justified. I agree I could have put a lot more into it. I just rendered it unnecessarily.
Posted by drhead 3 years ago
drhead
Pro could have gone more in depth on his arguments, however, Con is using several irrelevant comparisons that could easily be dismissed. I don't think either is on the winning side on this debate...
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
Yeah, exactly. lazy pot heads ha-hah-ha. 20 hours left hasn't been on this for two days. Probably forgot he was in one.
Posted by Jerlenbu 3 years ago
Jerlenbu
That sucks, he hasn't put up much of an argument... Maybe he's busy getting high; lol.
Posted by TD_Cole 3 years ago
TD_Cole
Thanks, doesn't look like the opponent is going to show up for the last round -_-
Posted by Jerlenbu 3 years ago
Jerlenbu
I wasn't debating, only commenting on the debate;) Sorry for criticizing your arguments; good luck!
Vote Placed by TheSupremeDebater 3 years ago
TheSupremeDebater
coltondstewartTD_ColeTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with most of Pro's points even though con had more information. But most of it was just irrational so obviously I pick Pro.
Vote Placed by induced 3 years ago
induced
coltondstewartTD_ColeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had some good points. most of Cons arguments were completely off track or illogical. the few arguments of Cons that potentially seemed reasonable, would never hold up to scrutiny.