maseerah
Themoderate

should cell phones be banned at school

Themoderate

maseerah

Pro

A school is a place where students go to learn and study and on the other hand a cell phone is something which is kind of a luxury for students. At school level a cell phone is just a want and not a need for the students. So it is absolutely required to ban cell phones in schools as this may even involve many unnecessary troubles for students.
Themoderate

Con

Hello, I am new here and wish to join your debate. In reply to you I would respectfully disagree. School yes, is a place where you go to learn your general education and complete a step into adulthood. A cell phone ban I don't find necessary at all. A couple reasons I can give are: 1. Not all students misuse their cell phones in class. Some students actually enjoy the topic, class, discussion, and agenda that they don't even think of playing with their cell phones. 2. We have rule abiding students that don't take out their cell phone during class time or at all for the fear of it being confiscated and having to deal with the consequence the school provides. I don't think it would be generally fair to those students to have a ban of cell phones. Why should the rule abiding students be forced to not carry something that at that time, their only form of communication? Also, what would a parent do to communicate with their child at school if something were to happen at that school, or a emergency? Parents should not have send their kids to school worrying. With all the violence that is going on today a a student can call, or text the parents or guardian in case of emergency or in a situation. Teachers like cell phones too. I am a recent grad and I see teachers pulling out phones in class just as much as some students in classes. If a ban were to happen for students, then have it be on all people in the building. Teachers go to work to teach, students go to school to learn. BUT like I said, why should we take it away from the people who obey the rules in the school building? I can see your point when you it causes problems. Yes, in some cases it does. But other things cause bigger problems in this world than cell phones in school. What if a student is walking home from school and he/she is in danger of something threatening that needs public safety, or injures themselves? A cell phone would come in great. Also, some teachers advocate using cell phones as calculators. Like I said, I see your point when school is a place to learn but a ban of cell phones is not the necessary procedure. Not having a cell phone can cause a lot of problems. Like I said, what if something were to happen at the school, on the way, or from school that the student would need a cell phone? In class yes, it should be kept away. Much of the public debate is against it, there are pros associated with allowing cell phones in school. These advantages should not be ignored since cell phones in schools can actually add value to the educational experience, rather than simply be a detriment to it. Again, more pros are: Learning Aid which is pretty cool because Students who have a smartphone can use various applications that are designed to assist in learning and designed just for students. Many of these smartphones have programs that are similar to what is found in a laptop or desktop computer. Being able to quickly look up facts on the Internet is possible on many phones. If a student needs assistance with class work and does not have access to a computer, a smartphone can be used in a snap. Voice notes that you can record on your phone. Recording features of cell phones can be beneficial to students who would like a quick way to keep track of what they need to do. After all, students may not always have immediate access to a notepad, so using a cell phone to "jot down" important information can be helpful. Some cons are cheating by using text message from friends or peers on a test. Distraction, and theft. The pro list I would say in my opinion outdoes the con list.
maseerah

Pro

maseerah forfeited this round.
Themoderate

Con

Are you going to debate?
maseerah

Pro

maseerah forfeited this round.
Themoderate

Con

Seeing as my opponent has not replied, I withdraw my debate statement from continuing.
Posted by Themoderate 4 years ago
Themoderate
Voting time!!!
Posted by love1626 4 years ago
love1626
Cellphones are really essential in ones life. Banning it from school is just like depriving the students of freedom of communication.
Posted by magi800 4 years ago
magi800
Cell phones are nothing but a problem in schools, good call pro!
Posted by sweetbreeze 4 years ago
sweetbreeze
No, cell phones can come in handy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not debating.
Vote Placed by Piccini 4 years ago
Piccini
maseerahThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited...
Vote Placed by sweetbreeze 4 years ago
sweetbreeze
maseerahThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Con due to Pro's forfeit, arguments, or let's say an argument to Con, spelling and grammar to Con, and sources to nobody.