imagainstalot
cakerman

should children be allowed to sleep in school

cakerman

imagainstalot

Pro

children should be allowed to get sleep in school because most don't get enough sleep at home we don't know what their life is like.

Thank you for accepting this debate
cakerman

Con

I accept the debate. I am assuming you will give your opening thesis in round 2
imagainstalot

Pro

For this first bit I should like to say this: Regardless of if it is OK or not sleep is important. Most teachers will tell you to sleep at home though some students cannot. I instead believe that if a student sleeps in class they should be left alone to be stupid forever. Teachers should only teach those willing to stay awake in school and let those who do just be left behind to ask questions. If they actually cared students would make the effort to stay awake. in fact why don't more teachers just not wake students at all. let them sleep through the whole day. Make them realize that sleep is for at home because they are failing. Let those without effort fail.
cakerman

Con

Hello imagainstalot! Thank you for posting your opening thesis, and I'm gonna hop right into the thick of it.

Most teachers will tell you to sleep at home though some students cannot

This is an important point to make in this debate, but this does not necessarily mean that we should let our children sleep in their classes voluntarily. This issue lies mainly within most of America's public education system itself. The average school starting time (At least in the state and local school district I am part of) is usually around 8 to 8:30 A.M which is a fair number to attribute to most American schools. This is naturally a problem with the studies that have been performed showing how this is a negative impact on our children, primarily High Schoolers.

https://www.nbcnews.com...

https://www.scientificamerican.com...

With all of this in mind I still don't believe that children should be allowed to sleep in schools, and this is for 1 primary reason and a couple secondary reasons.

Teachers should only teach those willing to stay awake in school and let those who do just be left behind to ask questions

This would be a very valid point, but this plays perfectly into my own primary thesis. Most schools are funded primarily based on attendance, and thus the more students your school has attending regularly the more income your school receives for funding. When you openly allow children to sleep in the classroom you are practically cheating that system, but counting a non-participant as an attending student. An approval of sleeping in schools would naturally branch into some sort of federal law that would guarantee that a sleeping student would no longer qualify as a "participant" and thus school funding would drop in some schools significantly.

If they actually cared students would make the effort to stay awake.

This, again plays into the hands of the issues that the school districts push upon themselves, by starting schools too early when adolescents are commonly known to

A: have a tendency to stay up late or have inabilties to sleep compared to other groups

https://www.nap.edu...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

And B: Tend to try to hide feelings of grief, depression, and stress due to schooling

let them sleep through the whole day. Make them realize that sleep is for at home because they are failing. Let those without effort fail.

This is again not the fault of the student, but rather the schooling system. The requirements for being at school in the morning intermingled with massive amounts of stress due to piling on work and the general exhaustion of modern schooling is a recipe for sleeping students. These problems need to be sorted out not with an acceptance of sleeping in class but rather a revision of schooling requirements.

Homeschooling does not work as a replacement. There is another debate on this website in which a user who claims to have been home schooled claims to possess

A: Masterful artistic skills

B: Masterful social skills

C: The ability to display traits resembling Eidetic Memory, claiming to be able to draw the entire earth from memory alone.

And yet this human being that claims home schooling to be a sucess story for them exhibits a massive grandiose sense of self, and obviously shows the common attributes of someone considereed to be "anti-social".

In conclusion, I do not believe that sleeping in schools is acceptable and also believe that the problem lies internally, within the school system rather than the student.

imagainstalot

Pro

Thank you Cakerman. You bring up some very valid points.

This being said I don't necessarily think that we should just let any student fall asleep. Though I am saying that if a student is exhausted that maybe allowing them to sleep isn't that bad. Though I am contradicting myself here I believe that there are two kinds of students that sleep 1: the lazy ones 2: the tired ones
I can understand wanting students to learn and the fact of our school systems starting too early.

I suggest that we instead start our school day later by and hour or so to allow our students more resting time.

Though since I doubt that the school systems would allow it. Because of this students will continue to fall asleep. I also think that the school system should take into consideration sleeping disorders that prevent students from sleeping. Either way in the end students should be allowed to sleep and if not be sent home to sleep or start getting punished but considering the crap system of education we already have i doubt it.

Ending statement just let them sleep so only the present AND awake will succeed
cakerman

Con

A big issue you didn't address in your argument is the obvious problem of taxpayer dollars being funneled into school systems that count children as being present when them being asleep is as good as being absent. This being said that doesn't necessarily make or break the argument for sleeping in class.

Though I am contradicting myself here I believe that there are two kinds of students that sleep 1: the lazy ones 2: the tired ones

This is't necessarily a contradiction in my eyes, but I'm fairly certain a system of splitting sleeping students into 2 groups, either lazy or legitimately tired isn't going to work.

1: What creates the distinction between a "lazy" and a "tired" student?

2: What prevents students from lying about their sleep habits, or how tired they really are?

3: What prevents the teachers of the school from unfairly categorizing or showing bias towards students they don't like by labeling them as a "lazy" student? [1]

I think this is a fair solution, but the issue sits rooted deeper than that. I can vouch from personal experiences of both myself and those close to me that the amount of work public schools, primarily High Schools force upon their students is enough to literally drive them mad. I have seen too many times someone close to me being forced to pull all-nighters, not even being ALLOWED to sleep because of the extreme amount of work that the schools assign in the name of "learning". I think common core being widely adopted contributes to this difficulty but that's an entirely seperate issue on it's own. The issue of sleep isn't going to be anywhere near solved until the teachers, and the administrators of the schools themselves realize that they are forcing burdens on their students that absolutely wreck mental health.

a study found that 49 percent of students reported feeling “a great deal of stress” on a daily basis. Half reported doing three or more hours of homework per night, and 26 percent noted that they had been diagnosed with depression—over four times the national average of 6 percent.

https://www.theatlantic.com...

On top of this ever present issue in the public schooling system the schools themselves do nothing to help counsel or relieve these levels of stress and mental exhaustion. I think that instead of study hall periods being for mandatory work periods they should offer an option for students to catch up on sleep during them, rather than be punished.

This being said, I do NOT believe that stuents should be able to sleep whenever and wherever they wish in school, there just needs to be either a designated time or a period of time in which that is a viable option for the students. Telling students to go to bed earlier does not work, just due to the psychology of the teenage brain and the fact that homework can pile so high that your high school takes away your liberty to sleep at night. When this cycle happens, the more work you give the student and the less rest time they get the worse the issue is going grow, and it is growing exponentially.

Posted by cakerman 10 months ago
cakerman
I actually mention how the schooling system forces the issue of sleepy kids upon itself, take a read at my round 2 argument
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 10 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
What of those who accidentally fall asleep? I know many very hard workers that are of my friend group that has accidentally fallen asleep due to staying up all night doing homework, essays and an excessive amount of class work.
I don't believe neither Pro nor Con takes in that a lot of these kids can't help but be tired BECAUSE of school. So many accidentally fall asleep.
Not waking the child up is just cruel. They are trying to get an education and, because they are tired, they should be punished? That's ludicrous.
I understand the argument for those who purposefully fall asleep, however many do not do it because they think the class "too boring". The amount of stress put on kids by schools is unbelievable, we barely give them enough time for themselves!
It's a different argument for those who purposefully skip out on class or fall asleep just because they don't find it entertaining.
Posted by Masterful 10 months ago
Masterful
How do we accommodate this need to sleep in school, will the children sleep at their desk? or will schools be required to construct sleeping quarters like Hogwarts?

I think a better solution would be to start school an hour later on Wednesday, which allows children to sleep in for an hour.
Ultimately, I'd suggest encouraging children to go to bed at night.
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 10 months ago
TheUnexaminedLife
no... because teachers should not be paid for minding a camp of sleeping children
Posted by ShyreWolf 10 months ago
ShyreWolf
Sleeping in school well cause you to miss out on "precious" education time. NoGood
Posted by NDECD1441 10 months ago
NDECD1441
This debate, from past experience, will be forfeited in the second round by pro. If not, well done and continue.
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
imagainstalotcakermanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con by default!
Vote Placed by QueenDaisy 10 months ago
QueenDaisy
imagainstalotcakermanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, your grammar was pretty dodgy, and while it wasn't enough to cost you points this time, it was borderline, so be careful. Con's point that taxpayer money is going into the school system and that money should be used to actually educate the students was the only point that seemed relevant and convincing. Con suggested that those who sleep should just be left to fall behind, but that seems unfair. Both debaters got very sidetracked and by the end it was hard to even tell who was on which side. Con did throw in a bunch of links, but they didn't really use them as sources- they just kind of threw them in, so no points, there. Neither side had conduct issues.