hannah1101
BuleFirePhonix

should cigarretes be legally banned?

BuleFirePhonix

hannah1101

Con

I believe that there shouldn't be a law legally banning smoking and buying cigarettes. This is because although there are many health risks to smoking, you should be able to choose what you put in your own body. Also cigarretes are highly taxed by the government making it essential to our growing economy in the U.S.
BuleFirePhonix

Pro

We have all been also trying to keep marijuana banned but marijuana has not killed as many people as Tobacco. From The American Lung Association, They have specifically said: "Three decades ago, public outrage killed an automobile model (Ford's Pinto) whose design defects allegedly caused 59 deaths. Yet every year tobacco kills more Americans than did World War II " more than AIDS, cocaine, heroin, alcohol, vehicular accidents, homicide and suicide combined." http://www.lung.org... I wouldn't careless about tobacco being legal or not but seeing what it does to people, it is horrifying. People should be allowed to smoke these cigarettes, but they are also giving up their lives to pursuit this addiction Whether or not they do make it illegal, just depends on how much control they want on their own people.
hannah1101

Con

I understand where your coming from, but choosing what you do to own body is no one elses business. Its none of mine or the governments concern. Although the tobacco. In cigarretes can be very harmful, the person smoking deserves to have their own choice in what they are putting in their bodies. But I highly doubt the government will ever ban cigarretes. Because of how much money they make on them. If they were to ban them taxes on everything else would go up. If they were to actually ban them people would be furious riots and protests would start, and I assure there would be illegal smuggling going on because cigarretes are so addicting and so many people use them. Banning them would be a huge risk for.Americas economy. Would you.really take that risk just to ensure everyone makes a healthier choice. I mean it should be a choice and just that.
BuleFirePhonix

Pro

Yep I understand that part. But also at the same time the funding from the government selling the cigarettes isn't really going anywhere other than into debt, and I know debt isn't exactly a big problem but at the same time. We owe quite a bit and I think if the government had their hands on any more money, they would just use it completely wrong. And if we can insure the healthier choice for banning cigarettes, there are so many other things we can base our economy on.
Posted by SkepticalDefender 1 year ago
SkepticalDefender
It does involve risks to your own health, if you're that stupid then fine, the problem, it hurts others around you, you can hurt yourself I won't care but when you start hurting others that's when i act. Second hand smoke is a huge issue, that's why I hate people who smoke cigarettes
Posted by BuleFirePhonix 2 years ago
BuleFirePhonix
Again it all depends on what people think. I do not mind the fact that they are legal but they should be banned just for certain reasons.
Posted by Our_Future_Freedom 2 years ago
Our_Future_Freedom
It is a choice, when you light the cigarette, that you are willing to make. Nobody forced you into smoking, so why should they be banned?
Vote Placed by MrJosh 1 year ago
MrJosh
hannah1101BuleFirePhonixTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was actually a pretty tough debate to vote, because I don't feel either side really made a compelling case. CON argued for the status quo, and PRO pointed out that people are killing themselves, which CON correctly pointed out is their right. I think PRO missed a big opportunity about how cigarettes kill people who themselves are not smoking. As it is, I award sources to PRO because he is the only one to have provided sources at all.
Vote Placed by TheAdamb99 1 year ago
TheAdamb99
hannah1101BuleFirePhonixTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided a more sustained argument with reliable sources.