debaterman123
Student4Life1975

should coding be a basic thing taught in schools

debaterman123

Pro

coding is a thing that i think everybody should know in my opinion coding is fun and should be a basic skill
Student4Life1975

Con

I'm working on an assumption that by "coding" you are referring to computer programming, creating applications etc. I believe this rough interpretation on my part should give us both enough to talk about going forward even if I have misunderstood your intention somewhat. That being said, in the following paragraphs I will slowly make the progression from coding (computer programming) to hacking and its possible implications to both society and the international community going forward. This is a scenario that seems unlikely to play out at first, but its only going to increase in probability (or liklihood of occuring) if there are more and more people versed in this field. But that being said, even if there is only a remote chance of it occuring, it's consequences are too great to ignore, and must be rejected for that very reason.

Firstly, with all technology comes a double edged sword, that depending on the individual using it there can be great results that benefit many people, and unfortunately catastrophic outcomes that harm and even kill many people. The Physicists that worked on the Atomic Bomb must have been thinking of the implications of their work, and on August 6th and 9th in 1945, those worst fears came to fruition when two atomic bombs were dropped on the Cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan. However this same technology has resulted in Nuclear Power and many other fascinating and beneficial technologies. It all comes down to how it's used in the end. This is an important point to remember.'

Second, students in school, or anyone before the age of roughly 24 years old have not yet fully developed their pre-frontal cortex in their brain, which is the region that controls judgement and impulsive behavior. These two traits are very important in the daily behavior of people, and a lack of judgement alone can be attributed to many of the crimes we all watch on the nightly news. Impulsive behavior needs no explanation itself, and you can see where this is going.

Third, the way in which the world is going forward in terms of the Internet, data sharing and networking everything together we now find ourselves in a position to "do harm at a distance" like never before. And I'm not talking about Militarily, but instead as normal tax paying Citizens. Computer hacking is becoming more common, and in this age of Terrorism and global conflict (War) occurring everywhere, the computer hacker (programmer) can do a serious amount of damage to corporations overseas and govt institutions all from the comfort of his or her parents basement.

There is a severe lack of accountability and personable interaction when you can cause damage from a distance. This is why Drones are such a hot topic and hacking is no exception in this regard.

To bring these three points together, first consider the potential damage that can be done by computer programming. Corporations, Govt and Military Institutions, Banks, and many other Establishments can all lose countless man hours and cost them millions of dollars as a result. This I don't really care about as much as the next point. Imagine if a teenager in the USA just decided to hack into some Nuclear Power Plant or Military Installation in the Middle East, and word got out on International News..this could result in War and retaliation attacks for years to come.

Then add the young age group that makes up a large part of hacking, and also the lack of understanding the consequences of their actions. Top it all off with the lack of personal accountability and face to face interaction with their victims a hacker can hide behind, and you have a potential disaster waiting to happen.

This may seem like a stretch but in reality it is nothing more than identifying individual factors and explaining that when combined, they can result in very bad things. My point is, the consequences of hacking are unforeseeable to the hacker in both the short and long term implications and in my opinion its just too risky.

In summary, although I support Education and teaching our young students valuable skills that contribute to their short and long term success, in this case the potential implications of having Computer Programming taught in school coupled with the young minds learning it and their inability to understand the power they posses not to mention the global implications, I cannot support it. We are now in a time of Cyber Warfare where future Wars can be not only started but carried out online, and putting that power in the hands of anyone but the Military is too scary to ignore.
debaterman123

Pro

debaterman123 forfeited this round.
Student4Life1975

Con

By forfeiting the previous round and I to assume you will not be participating in the very Debate you initiated?
debaterman123

Pro

i define coding as learning a language of code so you are able to make basic videogames
Student4Life1975

Con

Well, if a person learns coding that will allow him or her to create video games, there is nothing wrong with that in theory. In practice however, those same skill sets can then be used for negative purposes many of which I mentioned in my opening statement. Not alot of people would take those dark paths but the chance is still there.

Coding in terms of video games is fun i'm sure and I have nothing against that in general, as it stimulates the imagination and gives the programmer direction and goals to achieve. Problem is not too many people are interested in it, so would you say it should be a mandatory course in school, or an optional one?
debaterman123

Pro

debaterman123 forfeited this round.
Student4Life1975

Con

Student4Life1975 forfeited this round.
debaterman123

Pro

debaterman123 forfeited this round.
Student4Life1975

Con

Student4Life1975 forfeited this round.
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
Define "coding"