carson23
Anon1984

should crossbows only be for the disabled?

carson23 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 12/12/2016 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

carson23

Pro

yes, crossbows can be pulled up to 290 pounds! with a scope and a trypod this is not bowhunting this is gun hunting but the people that can't pull back a compound bow should have the right to use a gun or in this case a crossbow for bow hunting.
Anon1984

Con

Crossbows should not be limited to only use by disabled individuals.

Hunting is a fundamental natural right of every human being. People have hunted for thousands of years to provide a substantial source of protein for themselves and their families. This right should not be infringed upon in any way. Including restricting the method in which one can kill their prey. Other rules like being able to hunt from a vehicle etc for disabled people make some sense. Although I would argue that right should extend to everyone, but that's a different topic. Some of these rules may make sense for those who hunt for trophies in the form of antlers or the ego boost they get from showing off their killing prowess. But for those of us that are in it strictly for the meat and to feed our families, any regulations that impede our success are seen as a very negative thing. Although any true hunter ought to care about conservation, if the animal is hunted to extinction you have lost your potential to harvest a food source. I do not deny that disabled people should have the right to use this weapon if they so choose, but I disagree that the freedom to do so should be denied to other individuals. If the wildlife management agencies deem its use to be sufficient to kill an animal for one demographic, it makes no sense to deny it to another demographic.

As a commenter so aptly pointed out, pulling a crossbow back requires a lot of strength rendering it nonsensical to encourage its use amongst disabled individuals. A compound bow usually has a draw weight that is about half that of a crossbow. The average poundage of force required to draw a compound bow is 70 pounds, for a crossbow it is closer to 150 pounds. Although hand cranks can be used to assist the drawing of a crossbow, it's an added expense for the hunter, is cumbersome to bring along, and can reduce the efficiency in which one is able to obtain their prey, rendering them less than ideal for a successful hunt.

Crossbows are significantly heavier than compound bows, not to mention much more cumbersome to carry especially in typical hunting environments like forests. Again making them less ideal for people with various disabilities. This weight is usually shifted towards the front of the bow making someone with back, shoulders, or arm weaknesses less able to wield it efficiently. Which can result in a less accurate shot and more suffering for the animal.

A compound bow, depending on the length of the arms of the shooter, can result in different velocities at which the arrow is sent down range. Resulting in more or less efficient killing power. In the interest of making sure one gets a quick clean kill and the animal suffers minimally, a crossbow should be allowed for anyone since it eliminates this variation and results in a more predictable arrow speed.

With the exception of highly skilled archers, the average or low level skilled shooter can shoot a crossbow more accurately than its vertical counterpart the compound bow. This could have something to do with the fact that a crossbow can have an actual gun type scope mounted on it, usually which can be magnified making for easier target identification in thicker vegetation areas where line of sight can be obscured. Also it can also be attributed to the fact that a crossbow can be pulled back more consistently even than a compound. Not to mention the use and of a shooting stick or monopod can be used with a crossbow to further enhance the accuracy. Again resulting in a less chance of an animal suffering due to a bad shot.

In summation, I argue that crossbows should be allowed for anyone to use. Separating archery from gun season seems at least semi reasonable to me when viewed from a conservation standpoint. However within archery season both weapons should be allowed to anyone, disabled or not. Not only is it unfair to allow one demographic their use while deny it to another, the crossbow carries advantages over compound bows that can result in more efficient kill shot and less animal suffering. As a hunter of 15 years, there is little that breaks my heart as much as watching an animal suffer in its final minutes. That is why I myself hunt with a rifle and have become proficient enough to virtually drop an animal on the spot and reduce their suffering. So really I have no dog in the compound vs crossbow fight, but thought it would be fun to weigh in on it nonetheless. I await your response to my arguments.

http://www.drawloc.com...
http://www.fieldandstream.com...
Posted by Anon1984 1 year ago
Anon1984
Carson obviously can't handle a little opposition either. This failure to respond is starting to become a thing in the debates I engage in.....frustrating!
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Carson has obviously never used a crossbow, the strength required to pull (ready) a crossbow far exceeds the strength to pull a traditional bow.