smallstar1200
LotusNG

should evolution be taught in school's

LotusNG

smallstar1200

Con

i believe religion is as valid of an scientific guess as evolution therefore if evolution is taught in school so should religion.
LotusNG

Pro

I'm going to assume the first round is acceptance and wish you luck.

I'm also going to thank you for making a topic I'd actually enjoy debating.
smallstar1200

Con

thank you, and your welcome. I believe all religions like creationism give as much of an explanation as evolution therefore should be taught as well
LotusNG

Pro

I'm going to ask you to provide evidence as to why creationism should be taught in public schools during your next round.

Creationism should not be taught in public schools, first because of the separation of church and state brought up in the first amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." (http://www.ratical.org...)

For this reason, public, government funded schools should not teach creationism in schools.
smallstar1200

Con

if they should not teach creationism why teach evolution like i've said it explains as much as evolution therefore should be taught as well if evolution is being teached
LotusNG

Pro

(I'm sorry, but until tomorrow at least, I'll be extremely busy and unable to post a long response, so here's all I can today)

Despite evidence that dinosaurs did not live alongside humankind, creationist beliefs attempt to teach this(http://www.creationism.org...). Is this what American schools need? Does this really teach any more or even as much as evolution?

Also, you have yet to tell me why public schools should disobey the first amendment.

smallstar1200

Con

smallstar1200 forfeited this round.
LotusNG

Pro

Out of fairness I will not continue arguing until he responds.
smallstar1200

Con

smallstar1200 forfeited this round.
LotusNG

Pro

Thank you for your time.
Posted by nerdygirl188 4 years ago
nerdygirl188
Yes, it should. Because think about it.
Schools are created to inform kids, to put knowledge into their hands. The goal is to prepare them for the real world and expose them to different cultures and beliefs. If a child is religious and believes in creationism, they will most likely be attending religious services or religion class and be learning about those theories of how the world started. But because evolution is not associated with any one religion, it's not being taught anywhere. It is widely believed in and quite popular. So schools might be the only place kids could hear about this. Sure, they can look it up at home, but who's going to peak their intrest? As long as it's being taught as informative, meaning not trying to sway the beliefs of students, just giving them information, it seems petty that we let our own beliefs get in the way of teaching our kids about all different beliefs and cultures.
Posted by LotusNG 4 years ago
LotusNG
Honestly Jboughey I don't support either being taught in schools as "the one belief," but this topic was interesting, so I joined it.
Posted by Jboughey 4 years ago
Jboughey
Absolutely not. Why teach something that is merely a theory? It's not really possible because every person that backs up evolution runs into one problem: "Of course evolution is real and did happen." "Ok, than why haven't we evolved again into something else, and there's nobody from the evolutionary time period to say that this really happened." So no, it shouldn't.
Vote Placed by GeekiTheGreat 4 years ago
GeekiTheGreat
smallstar1200LotusNGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Too bad you couldn't have a more interesting debate.