Casual-Skillfulsword
sheridandebate

should gaming be a sport?

Started: 6/23/2015 Category: Games

Casual-Skillfulsword

Pro

Alright, so the definition of a sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment," as said by Google of course. However there's still the argument about how chess, and poker are sports, but not gaming. Racing as well doesn't require much "Physical Exertion" to be good at it. Although its not a matter of if your good at it, but in those who disagree to this find the excuse to say games should not be a sport because of no "Physical Exertion".

Now I find that sort of offensive considering I'm a gamer, on a gaming team for Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, etc. Sure it doesn't have much "Physical Exertion", but it requires a lot of focus, and strategy as well. Look back at Basketball, Football, even Hockey. There are plays they plan, there are strategies they come up with on how their gonna make that shot, how their gonna get past the defensive line, how can I distract the Goalie so my team can score. Without strategy or tactics, "Physical Exertion" would almost mean nothing in sports. Who would watch a game of The Raptors VS The Bulls if not a single one made a shot, if the game was a total stalemate, how exciting would the sport be then? Look in this case sport's support beam is strategy, focus, tactics, and skills. I can make a shot from half-court and still not "Physically Exert" myself. That maybe off topic but it still proves my point.

In conclusion, (If your still reading this) granted I may be a gamer, and this conversation may sound a tad bias to some who disagree with the topic, but I also know a thing or two about sports, and that's why my argument in this situation is a valid one. Though you just can't change some people's opinions, so obviously its your own choice, but take this argument and give it some thought, and you may have a different view on "Should Gaming Be A Sport" anyways, have a nice day. :D
sheridandebate

Con

Dictionary.com defines a sport as an athletic activity involving skill or physical prowess. Therefore, gaming should not be a sport because it does not require physical activity.
Casual-Skillfulsword

Pro

If that is true then explain Chess and Poker. The only thing physical they may do are victory dance after they win. Basically as physical as gaming is, very little.
sheridandebate

Con

sheridandebate forfeited this round.
Casual-Skillfulsword

Pro

Casual-Skillfulsword forfeited this round.
sheridandebate

Con

sheridandebate forfeited this round.