serenityfitzgibbon
lefillegal1

should gay marriage be legal

serenityfitzgibbon

Pro

i'm Christian but I support gay marriage all the way. although many people believe gay marriage is a sin, judging them for it is just as much as a sin. everyone deserves to be happy whether you're gay lesbian bi or straight. if you're in love with them then fantastic, it's not my life nor yours so we have no right to judge.
lefillegal1

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. Please understand even though I am against "same sex" marriage, I am not judging their lifestyle. I only serve to illustrate why same sex marriages shouldnt be allowed
serenityfitzgibbon

Pro

you can claim that you do not judge them for their lifestyles, but if a man is in a relationship, engaged, and eventually married to another man and they're living together it becomes their lifestyle. America is a free country, and just because one religion doesn't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean it shouldn't be legalized. there are plenary of non-religious people who believe and don't believe in it, as well as religion. just because someone doesn't support it doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights as straight people. one of the country's beliefs is equality and if they choose that lifestyle then by all means they should be allowed to be married
lefillegal1

Con

First and foremost, being against something IS differenrent from not allowing something. God is against divorce but he allows it. In essence he is stating why it shouldnt be allowed, but allowing it to be so. This is what Christians are called to do. Im not here to argue lifestyle. While their(gay) sin is obvious, most people's are not. I wont single them out because of it. I am aware that we all sin and fall short. I will not judge them knowing that I myself have my own sins to be concerned with. Their "sin" is not in question here, its what they purpose to do with that "sin", thats in question. You claim to be Christian, yet the Christian thing to do would be to spread the truth! Not conform it to fit the lifestyles of men. So lets begin with some truth.

"America is a free country, and just because one religion doesn't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean it shouldn't be legalized."

As a Christian you should know who started the institution of marriage, what does America have to do with anything? Was America there when God first instituted marriage? Did America have any say in defining marriage when God made it? Does the bible say "let no man seperate what America has brought together? So why then do You, claiming Christian, act as if America can define marriage? Does America's voice outrank God's? NO Christian would dare think it!

"there are plenary of non-religious people who believe and don't believe in it,"

Now youre touching on the reasons why "marriages" fail. Not just same sex ones but all types of "marriages". If we agree that God established/establisheses marriage, then how can anyone who doesnt believe in God marry? Its obvious they could go get " married" but is that marriage established by God? Why would they even want to get married if "marriage" is something that the God they dont believe in has established? If I dont like the army, why would I join the army? Why partake in something I dont like? How can you look to God to establish something if you dont believe he exists? When is the last time you sought to sue the tooth fairy for non payment on your tooth? People who dont beleive in God yet want to use his institutes(marriage) should also sue the tooth fairy. So what about those who do believe, even their "marriages" fail sometimes? Very true but again, the question arises, "WHO" established their "marriage". Was it "their" marriage or God's? Jesus states God doesnt believe in divorce, so it can be said those marriages which fail were not of God but of men God doesnt fail. The point im making is this ANY MARRIAGE without God isnt a "marriage" at all. Its just a "union" which puts on the facade of marriage. Marriage is a institution of God. It is not just a "union of two people" as most would like to believe. Should the "facade" of marriage be allowed? One could argue, yes the " facade" should be allowed, so ill use the next round to show why it shouldnt and to rebutt any objections you may have.
serenityfitzgibbon

Pro

serenityfitzgibbon forfeited this round.
lefillegal1

Con

Should the "facade" of marriage be allowed?

I pointed out it could be argued yes it should be allowed now lets examine why I feel they shouldnt.

This is purely MY Christian view, from what ive learned, as always I am welcome to instruction if I am in fact wrong.

Now as A Christian, Christ commands me to love others as I love myself. If at all possible, would I not try to stop the sins I myself am commiting? So then that also calls for me, if possible at all, to stop the sins of others. If I dont condone the sins I commit, how can I condone the sins of others and truly say I love them as myself? The same way I want to impede myself from sin, I should want to impede them from sin. Would not any loving parent do the same for their child? If I KNOW this will cost you your soul, its my duty to try and stop you. What I do to stop you is the problem. I wont beat it into you. I wont curse and yell at you. BUT I will stand in your way as peacefully as possible. I cant just stand by and do nothing. So if by voting against civil unions I may somehow help in preventing the loss of your soul ill always vote against it. God wills that all men be saved, and im not helping if im not spreading his message. His message is not, pretending we have no sin to be saved from, but a message that we will be saved from all sin. It is not passing judgement if I am passing information. The Judge himself has declared it. Im just announcing his decision to the court. I will declare the "judgment" for that sin but I will not declare the "judgement" for that person.
serenityfitzgibbon

Pro

lefillegal1

Con

lefillegal1 forfeited this round.
serenityfitzgibbon

Pro

lefillegal1

Con

lefillegal1 forfeited this round.
Posted by lefillegal1 2 years ago
lefillegal1
@missmedic did you even bother to read the verses YOU pointed out? Matt.5:17 " fulfill" means complete or finish. John 14:23 whose words do we keep? As a result of keeping Jesus word, "his" father will love us. John 15:10 If we love Jesus whose commandments do we keep? It clearly says keep "his"(jesus) commandments the same way in which he kept his fathers commandments. Now as I pointed out Jesus said let those without sin cast the first stone. (John 8:7) Christians dont cherry pick the bible Athiest do! Even athiest can read the whole bible, but few can read the whole bible with correct understanding. I refuse to believe that anyone, who does not believe on God (athiest) will ever read the bible with correct understanding. How could they if they believe God doesnt exist? Now for those who want to gain a better understanding of my point back to the debate. Missmedic we can debate religion elsewhere. This debate is about " gay marriage" or "civil union", not about the validity of Christianity. If you would like to get crushed in that debate then by all means challenge me.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Gays don't want to marry in your church they want a civil union. Christian are taught to fear, fear god, and fear hell. Jesus did not put end to the laws of his father; Matthew 5:17, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father"s commandments, and abide in his love. Christian don't read the bible, they cherry pick what they want. So when you read the bible read it all that's what I do, it's why I am an atheist. You Christians seam so misinformed, you need to read more then one book.
Posted by lefillegal1 2 years ago
lefillegal1
@missmedic Christians are not taught to stone they are taught to love. Jesus put an end to that law in Leviticus or do you not remember him stating let those without sin cast the first stone? No one has the right to stone anyone anymore. As I pointed out its not their "sin" thats the problem, the problem is "where" that sin is commited. Last time I checked Gods house was a house of prayer. Did jesus allow the disrespect in his fathers house? No he did not, yet at the same time its very clear that he tolerated sin. Everyone deserves a chance to repent.
Posted by DragonMan 2 years ago
DragonMan
@missmedic,
Those are fair comments and to be honest I know a few people that would agree with you also concerning the following of the bible however if you think that the church should stay out of people's pants then gays should stay out of Christians back yard as marriage is a religious event (vows to god, a priest to reside over the ceremony, etc)
I do not approve of homosexuality as it is certainly isn't natural however I have accepted people do it but when that homosexuality starts spreading its boundaries of influence then people have a right to say how they feel.
Also you mention that humanity is the only species that hates homosexuality. That maybe the case but I don't see any other species taking gayness to such a long term level. Mostly it is to relieve themselves never to have a mate of the same sex and when I say mate I mean long term.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Christian use the bible to justify there hate for homosexuality, because god said so. But they don't follow through with the stoning. Leviticus,20:13 ""If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." If we are going to take the god of the bible seriously, we should admit that he never gives us the freedom to follow the commandments we like and neglect the rest. Nor does he tell us that we can relax the penalties he has imposed for breaking them. So you either believe the bible is the word of god or you don't. Unless you think god is wrong. What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality. The church should just stay out of people's pants.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Shorten this to 3 rounds and I'll take this