Tristanbug
dyptiques

should girls wear short outfits?

dyptiques
Started: 11/22/2013 Category: Fashion

Tristanbug

Con

girls should not wear short outfits i think its trashy and would rather see more girls in jeans
dyptiques

Pro

I don't think outfits define a person's attitude, such as the one you have mentioned - "trashy". So the logic you have imposed is that "shorts make a person look trashy". If a person were "trashy" (although I don't quite like name calling, we'll just go with it so that I can illustrate what I mean) and that person wore jeans, it would not make you any less "trashy". To begin with, your behavior and attitude is a reflection of who you are, not the length of your apparel. So it really doesn't make sense why you should judge a person as "trashy" based on what they wear. I would really like for you to further reiterate where this view of "trash" is derived from based on the person's attire because I really do not understand how anyone could easily be labelled as "trashy" based on what they choose to wear on that particular day. Does wearing a suit make me a man? Is that how it works? Please, do clarify with me. I would truly like to know.
Tristanbug

Con

it one thing when you are out having fun but if you are walking around at school I want to See your *sis hanging out of your clothes. I'm all for shorts but not these booty shorts you see girls walking around in looking like they don't even have clothes on. I don't want to be out having a good time going out with friends and be eating dinner and see someone with there vagina and everything they have hanging out I think women need to respect themselves more by not wearing outfits that look like they just got acted and got there clothes ripped off I'm a sexual assault victim and you see these women who wear stuff like that and go out partying and drinking and end up getting raped and I'm not saying its because of the way they dressed but maybe if they had more respect for themselves they wouldn't even be in that situation I know I'm a redneck and people expect us to be walking around like that but we have more respect for our selves and the way we raise our kids we don't let our kids or little ones walk out the house looking like a prostitute and I believe all women shouldn't look like they are getting ready to go sell there body on a street. I'm not saying you shouldn't wear shorts or a dress or skirt but when you do it should be tastefully done.
dyptiques

Pro

Your argument raises a few questions.

Before I continue, I am very sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope the authorities were kind to you.

Now to clarify some areas of your argument. You claim that if they had more respect for themselves, they wouldn't be in that situation - a situation of sexual assault such as rape, am I right? I am just picking word for word out of your argument. Well, you were a sexual assault victim, as you have claimed, so does that mean that you did not have self-respect when it happened to you? I believe that being in a situation where your safety is compromised does not depend on self-respect. A woman could have the highest of respect for herself and still be a victim of sexual assault. I'm afraid the only way such act could be prevented is through education.

Secondly, if you've got a problem with seeing another woman's vagina, then I think you should refain from looking at it. I don't think the appearance of another woman's genitalia is harmful to you or anyone else in anyway. In my honest opinion, reproductive parts should be kept covered as it is the social norm to keep clothed to protect yourself. However, some people do not see the practicality of keeping covered nor do they practice such humility which is deemed socially right. Just because something does not appear socially right does not make it wrong. Nudists exist but are they "trashy"? No. Are they harmful to the public? No. They just have different set of beliefs and it doesn't make them any less respectful of themselves.

Also, you are insinuating that it is because of the way they are dressed that they get sexually assaulted. You mentioned "we don't let our kids or little ones walk out the house looking like a prostitute and I believe all women shouldn't look like they are getting ready to go sell there body on a street". What if these people who look like they're getting ready to sell their body on the street have self-respect? Your option for streetwear does not measure your self-respect either. A woman who wears formally does not have more or less self-respect than a woman who works her way up from the bottom without easy routes while donning only the most basic attire or even the shortest of shorts. A person should not be stereotyped based on appearance.

People with the most tasteful attires can still have no self-respect whatsoever with themselves. People with the shortest of daisy dukes can have the most affirming self-respect for themselves. Self-respect is not bought in Abercrombie and Fitch. It is cultivated from experience and how you learn from it.

Finally, with the last sentence in your argument, you have contradicted yourself. However your opinion may be flawed due to a lack of information on your end.
Tristanbug

Con

what self loving women shows off everything she has by wearing clothes like that no female should and she will get no guy worth much because they dont want to be seen with girls like that most guys that are with girls like that is because they look like they would put out thats all most teenage guys care about thats why you get so many pregnant teens
dyptiques

Pro

I would like to point out that you have yet to answer my questions in my previous argument. I hope you are not lost for words.

Any self-loving woman is a woman who loves who she is and accepts who she is. She is unfazed by what society tells her that has any concern with her appearance because she loves herself too much to let those things get to her. These woman usually exude confidence and have no qualms about their weights. That is the woman that a lot of people try to achieve to be.

If a self-loving woman should want to wear bikinis despite her weight, then she shall tailor it to whatever best suits her, as long as she will love looking at herself in it.

Also, a self-loving woman is not worried about getting a guy at all because her personality can get a guy that's best suited to her and if she does not find it, then she may easily reject it without any issues. After all she has herself to respect and love so she should not settle for less. And if she is wearing short pants while courting, then she will choose to be with a man who loves her for her personality and reject a man who she finds unsuitable.

A self-loving woman may also be a nudist who is courting a man or a woman, whatever her sexuality may be.

I don't quite know how you choose your partners but partners are usually chosen based on personality, not attire. At least that is optimum if you want to have a lasting relationship, as long as it is equipped with trust and understanding.

You get so many pregnant teens because of lack of education. Sex is not wrong but teenagers should refrain from having babies at a young age as they may not be capable of raising a child. It is not easy. And to prevent pregnancies, parents or institutions should educate teenagers to use contraceptives.
Tristanbug

Con

im not saying that they dont love and respect themselves but they should look like they do you wouldnt go to a Holiday dinner at your grandmothers looking like a stripper why would you go to school or to dinner looking that way
dyptiques

Pro

If you look like a man, does that make you a man? If you look like a teacher, does that make you a teacher? If you dressed like your grandmother, saying that you look like your grandmother in that sense, does that make you your grandmother?

So why is that if you look like a stripper, it makes you a stripper?

I don't go to school dressed like one because it is school regulations. Quite frankly I don't quite understand why being dressed in shorts is regarded as disrespectful in school grounds but if it is the law then I suppose I will have to abide to it to experience minimal suffering in school. As for family gatherings, really, is my family going to judge me based on what I wear? If my grandmother feels discomfort from looking at my cleavage then I will comply to her but that is only out of respect to her. However, it doesn't increase nor decrease my self-respect.
Vote Placed by shyguitarist 3 years ago
shyguitarist
TristanbugdyptiquesTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with pro on this argument. Pro's arguments were more convincing, conduct was better because she didn't ignore questions that were raised, used better grammar and doesn't sound like a conservative, narrow-minded person.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
TristanbugdyptiquesTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don?t really have an opinion whether girls should be able to wear short outfits and agree with Pro on this that it is not our choice. I think that Pro rebutted all Cons arguments in this debate,however Con made no attempts to answer the questions Pro raised. As such the points go to Pro for convincing arguments and grammar. Additionally,I have awarded the conduct point towards Pro as she answered the questions raised by Con,while Con did not respond to any questions. No of the debaters used resources and as such I call this a tie.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
TristanbugdyptiquesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side used sources. Con's arguments were incoherent and emotion based, rather than logical. Pro approached the debate with logic, and therefore made the more convincing argument.
Vote Placed by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
TristanbugdyptiquesTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate definitely goes to Pro, for her brilliant arguments, (which were well formatted and easy to read, thank you fro that) and her refreshingly open-minded view on women's attire. Con had atrocious grammar. (I would really try torking on that Tristanbug, good grammar makes the entire argument flow better and look more intelligent)