tori_danielson25
MFischer

should high school relationships be taken seriously?

tori_danielson25

Pro

they should be because if theyre taken seriously in the future why not now?
MFischer

Con

Let's be serious here. Do we really think that some person you date in high school will be the person you spend your life with? I'm sure many people are biased, but I think that times have changed. Sure, people in the distant past married at a very young age, but they weren't in today's world. High school is the time to experiment with relationships. It's a time to work hard on your classes and manage your life outside of school. This isn't the time to find the person that you'll spend the rest of your life with. I don't think that relationships in high school should be taken as seriously as relationships when you're 30.
tori_danielson25

Pro

tori_danielson25 forfeited this round.
MFischer

Con

MFischer forfeited this round.
tori_danielson25

Pro

tori_danielson25 forfeited this round.
MFischer

Con

MFischer forfeited this round.
Posted by Shrek_sDrecKid 2 years ago
Shrek_sDrecKid
Hey @MFischer, contact Blade-of-Truth if you want your debates to be voted...
Posted by Gi 2 years ago
Gi
It depends on age of puberty. I read a long time ago that the brain develops the capacity for romantic love 2 years after puberty hits. I'm 28 now. I was age 10 at my first period. I was age 12 when I had my first love. This was not the same as the feeling of a crush that I had experienced beforehand. No adult took me seriously but those feelings were real and I knew it. I was glad to see this validated years later when I read about when the brain develops the capacity for romantic love, as it matched up perfectly for what I experienced. The validation was nice because it was so hurtful to me back then that adults, namely my parents, didn't take me seriously. Because of that, I will take my future children seriously when they fall in love a couple years after puberty.

Also have to add... A teen may not know what it's like to be in an adult long-term relationship, but it doesnt mean that theyre not experiencing romantic love. When the couple is living together and having sex, it's a huge impact on the relationship and the emotions involved. There's also a level of maturity necessary to develop tolerance for your lovers flaws, selflessness, communication skills, the brain capacity to comprehend consequences to your actions (comes at age 24), etc. But those feelings of being in love for the first time are very real, very powerful, very passionate, and usually never felt so strongly ever again. The adults could learn a thing or two about love from a teen here!
Posted by MFischer 2 years ago
MFischer
@missmedic I'm not really saying that you should not take high school relationships seriously, it's just that there is more to learn than to love.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
a young person's emotions are as real as everyones
Posted by Jellyfysh624 2 years ago
Jellyfysh624
I started dating my girlfriend at the very begining of my freshman year in high school. We met at out freshman orientation dance 4 day before the first day of school. We are about to get an apartment together after this semester is over. we are both in our sophmore year at the same college. We were told many time that "highschool relationships never last," but we are clearly a counter example to that claim.