aov2000
Zmax15

should homework be banned or optional

aov2000

Pro

For years the students of the world have been forced to do homework but now we must debate for or against homework being banned and/or optional.
a student gets 3-4 hours of homework daily, if a student gets home at 3 PM that means they finish at 7 PM add dinner 8 PM add extracurricular activities and projects and sleep and chores that leaves no free time
Zmax15

Con

Before the debate is to begin, I will define important terms in the argument.
a) Homework is any form of schoolwork done outside of school, typically performed at home.
b) Banned is the past tense of ban, meaning to make it to some extent illegal, in this case especially for a government-funded public school to use as a part of their curriculum.
c) Optional is to mean, in this context, for students to be given the option of doing or not doing homework entirely.
d) Free-time is a period of time not devoted to some mandated task, rather spent doing some free or recreational activity.

With that out of the way, I will take on the proponent's arguments, then move into my own.

First, my the pro's entire argument hinges around the supposed "free time" which students are not given, do to the great amount of homework which they are dealt. To reply, I say that, in fact, students do have free time, and that the stated "3-4 hours" per-night which students receive, are as a statistic deduced on error. What I mean by this, is that students are not given 3-4 hours worth of homework per-night, and that, rather, they are more likely to receive anywhere between 1-4 hours, depending on the curriculum, time-of-year, and grade of the student.

In their analysis of what free time students would have, my opponent used only the high-end of their possible hours, adding one hour for dinner, and coming to the fact that students would be done with their homework at 8 o' clock, PM. Even if we were to assume that this is correct, that does in fact still leave free time. Were a student to, every night, do four hours of homework, then eat one hour of dinner, they would still have time between when they finish their homework, and when they go to sleep for the night. Many research studies show that people within the range of high school-age or younger tend to stay up, more often than not, to outrageous times. Midnight, 2 AM, 4 AM, even up to only an hour before they are meant to wake up. This time late into the night is nothing but free time, and even if they were to go to sleep at ten PM and wake up at seven AM, getting close to the entire amount of sleep people that age need, they would still have two hours of free-time every night.

This is, of course, excluding weekends, entire days comprised of nothing but free time. All of these ultimately add up to over thirty-four hours of free time, every week, at the very least.
aov2000

Pro

aov2000 forfeited this round.
Zmax15

Con

Zmax15 forfeited this round.
aov2000

Pro

aov2000 forfeited this round.
Zmax15

Con

Zmax15 forfeited this round.
aov2000

Pro

aov2000 forfeited this round.
Zmax15

Con

Zmax15 forfeited this round.
aov2000

Pro

aov2000 forfeited this round.
Zmax15

Con

Zmax15 forfeited this round.
Posted by naziswastika 2 years ago
naziswastika
If I had the option to do homework, I'd take the option to play games all day.