nooryas
Whataburger

should in state tuition be free

nooryas

Con

the goverment should no have to pay our tuition for a higher educational school because we are so far in debt that we have no room for more money to be lost. yes education is very important but its a resposibelty that helps the teens become adults. iof he goverment pays then they dont learn the real worlds skills that the goverment can not pay for you most of your lives they have gave you a free education for 12 years and if you have used there money worth than you should be able to earn a scolarship by having good grades.
Whataburger

Pro

I really don't understand where Con is coming from in their advocacy. So far as I can tell their basic argument is 'If the government pays tuition for higher education, people won't bother trying.' And I don't ever read a warrant for why that's true. High Education is key to a competitive future, but secondary education is a completely optional endeavor. I won't argue that there's no societal pressure to pursue further education, but in the end it's really up to the individual whether or not she pursues it.

I think that free higher education would be a good thing. I'll make a few surface-level argument right now, but since Con has the burden of proof as the framer of the debate, I'm not going to do more work than I need to.

1. College is a lot different than High School-
If you go to any random community college you're going to see a lot of students who really have no business being there. The same is true for a lot of Universities as well, but the deal with community colleges is that a lot kids go there because they've been told all their life they have to go to college. Most of those kids don't get the picture that they can't just go to class and expect to pass, and they rarely last more than a year or two. In college you get kicked out or flunk out if you fail to do your work. There are going to be kids who go to college straight out of high school and refuse to work, but they won't last long. And while you may think those kinds of people are a drain on tax-payer dollars I would argue that keeping kids debt free is a benefit in the long run. We can stop the cycle of putting kids with no real-world experience in massive amounts of debt because they feel 'they have to go to college' and give young adults a better opportunity to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

2. We need Skilled Tradespeople-
Not everyone goes to college to get their double-major in philosophy and English. A lot of people just to a trade school to learn how to cut pipes or work on cars. Giving people who aren't academic the ability to gain these skills will boost the economy, and help solidify the U.S. in ingenuity. While we definitely want people going for Grad-Degrees in STEM fields, one and two-year trade schools are great start there. Technology is advancing faster than ever, and there are fewer and fewer entry level jobs one could support themselves on with just a high-school diploma.

3. Tax dollars are the People's money, not the the Government's money-
Any social contract author will tell you that people come together and form societies to protect themselves. In a democratic republic like the United States the role of the government should be to serve the people. Education is a crucial right that needs to be protected, and as expensive as a college degree is to pursue in the status quo, it's not a right everyone can exercise. Funding colleges and universities is a way the government can protect that right. Anytime you hear an argument that frames free higher education as a handout is a point where that is undermined as a luxury.

There are a lot of other reasons you need to vote against the Con, but I'll leave it at that for now.
nooryas

Con

nooryas forfeited this round.
Whataburger

Pro

Eat some ketchup.
nooryas

Con

nooryas forfeited this round.
Whataburger

Pro

Whataburger forfeited this round.
nooryas

Con

nooryas forfeited this round.
Whataburger

Pro

Whataburger forfeited this round.