grayger
sewook123

should kids be allowed to use there cellphones in school.

sewook123

grayger

Pro

I thank anybody who accepts this debate. Rules are:
1: no personal insults
2:first round is for acceptance
3: when using sources, please only use reliable ones
4: Please try to use correct grammar and spelling
I look forward to a good debate.
sewook123

Con

But voting period of 6 MONTHS? That's a long time...
grayger

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I believe that kids should be able to use there cellphones is school for many reasons. First off, I went to a school that let you use cellphones and it helped greatly. I could use it as a calculator, do research on the internet with it, and do my homework on it. It was very, very helpful for educational reasons. Just because kids are allowed to use your cellphone does not mean the school would fall into an anarchy of texting and game playing. There would still be teachers to monitor usage and administer punishment when due. Imagine sitting in a classroom where there are no computers and just being able to whip out your phone and do research on it without having to ask permission to go to somewhere with a computer. It would be very beneficial. I await your response.
sewook123

Con

I thank the Pro for his arguments.

Before I begin, I would first like to establish the fact that this debate is not about whether cell phones are helpful or not. It is about whether they should be allowed in schools for students to use.

Now I would first like to rebut some of the points brought up by Pro.

1. "I could use it as a calculator, do research on the Internet with it, and do my homework on it"
First of all, not all cell phones include these functions. Secondly, these functions are not exclusive to cell phones. There are better, more specialized apparatus. There are calculators that can calculate and even graph some complex mathematical equations. There are computers, which contain numerous options and are more comfortable to utilize, to research. Third, there are no reasons for students to complete their homework on their cell phones as very few of the assignments require students to use cell phones.

2. "It was very, very helpful for educational reasons"
Again, this function can be performed better with computers, books and even teachers. I ask the Pro to expound more on there educational reasons.

3. "Just because kids are allowed to use your cell phone does not mean the school would fall into an anarchy of texting and game playing"
No, allowing cell phones does not necessarily mean that the educational system will fall apart. It simply means that the educational system will lose its efficiency and its purpose as I will mention later in my arguments.

4. "There would still be teachers to monitor usage and administer punishment when due"
This is a very ineffective and wasteful solution. The fact that teachers, who we entrust our future generation to educate our children, have to act as CIA or FBI that monitors every activities that students perform is degrading. School should be a place of learning and of social interactions among peers, not a prison. Also, there are no ways of determining the "right" punishment that is effective. Children generally tend to rebel and loath the restrictions placed upon them, deeming this proposed solution highly ineffective. In addition, there's no way for teachers to monitor the usage of cell phones. Most of the times, students tend to hide and keep their usage furtive.

5. " Imagine sitting in a classroom where there are no computers"
Most classrooms do have at least one computer. If the school has wi-fi to enable students to use their cell phones to do research, it is extremely likely that is has a library, a computer lab, and numerous other facilities that eliminates the use of cell phones.

6. " Just being able to whip out your phone and do research on it without having to ask permission to go to somewhere with a computer [is very beneficial]"
I wouldn't call this beneficial. Convenient, yes, but beneficial, not really. If the teacher assigned a research project, he or she would have signed his class up for a library or a computer lab block, or assigned enough time for students to complete the project at home. Again, there's no need for cell phones.

Now for my arguments...

1. Risk (Monetary)
Numerous cell phones worth hundreds of dollars. Allowing students to carry these valuables to school is like turning schools into hunting grounds for thieves. As most students have physical education class or gym class in school, there are times when students leave their valuables unattended. The thieves strike and the students will have to experience the dread of explaining to their parents and possibility that they may not be able to obtain another cell phone.

2. Risk (Personal Information)
Cell phones contain miraculous amount of personal information. They contain the contact numbers of one's friends and families. They can be traced by malevolent people to determine one's location and one's various information presented when one purchased the phone and signed the contract.

In conclusion, the ultimate point I am making is that there is no need for cell phones. If there is minimal benefits but countless harmful effects from cell phones, it is logical and sensible to prohibit the use of cell phones in school.

I will provide more arguments in the future rounds and I await Pro's response.
grayger

Pro

I thank con for his arguments. Cons main argument was that it's an unnecessary risk to have cellphones in school. I don't think it's a risk to have your cellphone in school because there are many ways to keep your cellphone safe. You could put in your locker, your backpack, or other private places. You could also put a password on your phone. I am one of the few people i know that knows how to break a password on a cellphone, and it's rather hard to do. Having your cellphone makes school more efficient and convenient. Teachers are often busy, books are not convenient, and computers are often being used. You say that there a other things that can do certain functions better than cellphones, and that's true, but those things cost money, while most everybody has a cellphone at this point that will need it. the con says that the school would become less efficient. I think the effect would be the opposite. I ask the con to expand on his reasoning for this argument. Also, I am not saying the teachers would have to be constantly monitoring every single kid. You could have certain times where cellphones are aloud, such as free research time, and time that you can't, like silent reading. Just take away there phone if they are misusing it. They can't rebel and use there phones if they don't have it. If a classroom only has one computer there is probably going to be a lot of demand for it. I await your arguments.
sewook123

Con

Thank you Pro.

I will first defend my arguments.

1. "You could put in your locker, your backpack, or other private places"
Through personal experience and observation, it is a blatant fact that those places Pro mentioned are NOT safe. Time and time again, students come back from classes to see busted lockers and find their valuables gone. There are no private places in schools. Lockers are very easy to get into and one's backpack is not exactly the definition of impeccable. The safest place to put one's cell phone IS the private place that Pro mentioned: one's home. Also, children are prone to cell phone theft. According to the Office of National Statistics, mobile phone theft victims were most likely to be children aged 14 to 17 or young adults aged 18 to 24 years with the victimisation rate of these groups being twice as high as the average (at around 4%). [1]

2. "You could also put a password on your phone"
First of all, having a password on a cell phone do not defer the thieves. They have no way of knowing whether cell phones are locked and will gladly steal them anyway since, as Pro explicitly stated, they have ways to unlock the password. And because of this insecurity and unreliability, password does not keep one's personal information safe from malicious individuals.

Now I would like to rebut to Pro's arguments.

1. "Having your cell phone makes school more efficient and convenient"
Cell phones do not make schools more efficient and convenient. First of all, school can not be made more convenient. Secondly, Pro has not provided solid reasoning and arguments that substantiates this point.

2."Teachers are often busy, books are not convenient, and computers are often being used"
The sole purpose of teachers in schools are to educate the children. I do not understand what they would be busy with since answering questions from knowledge-stricken children is part of their jobs. Books are convenient. Many are portable, information, accurate, and can be used in any locations. On the other hand, cell phones need Internet connection for students to perform many of their functions. Having 3G or 4G cost money.

3. "But those things cost money"
Cell phones cost money. Books and access to teachers trained to help you cost significantly less. In addition, books and computers can be accessed free of charge in schools themselves and in public libraries.

4. "Most everybody has a cell phone at this point that will need it"
Most people do have cell phones. However, that fact has nothing to do with whether cell phones should be allowed in schools. Even if many people possess some kind of cellular device, people do not have to need cell phones to operate. Need is defined as " a situation in which someone or something must do or have something" [2] Cell phones do not fit the definition of need. People do not NEED cell phones, they WANT them.

5. " I think the effect would be the opposite."
I ask Pro to explain how and in what ways.

6. "You could have certain times where cell phones are aloud, such as free research time, and time that you can't, like silent reading"
If classes are given a free research time, chances are, the teacher will be sensible enough to book a session in a computer lab or in a library. There's no guarantee that students will use their cell phones appropriately. Like Pro said, there are times when silent reading when cell phones should not be allowed. And yet, students continue to use cell phones during this time. The best way to prevent students from abusing their cell phones are to prohibit them.

7. "Just take away there phone if they are misusing it"
This creates problems. First of all, teachers are reluctant to confiscate cell phones because they cost hundreds of dollars. Teachers do not want the responsibilities that come with the power to take away valuables and to force the rules upon them is unfair. Secondly, students know that they are misusing cell phones. So, they tend to hide their usages as I mentioned. Teachers, having to education approximately 30 other students, are prone to miss inappropriate uses of cell phones.

8. "They can't rebel and use there phones if they don't have it"
What do you mean by this? Rebelling further destroys the efficiency and purpose of school systems.

9. "If a classroom only has one computer there is probably going to be a lot of demand for it"
Same arguments as above. There are other places to go to, other resources to use, and teachers are generally smart enough to recognize the need for resources when they assign research projects.

Con asked me to expand on his reasoning for my arguments and I will gladly do so.

1. Defeated Purpose
Schools are there to educate children. Cell phones have no place in schools. Children text, play games, and surf the web rather than to learn and interact with their peers when asked. Two main purposes of school are education and social interaction. Cell phones hinder education by distracting the students and impede social interaction by allowing students to text their usual friends.

2. Inefficiency.
Cell phones are stupendous sources of distractions. As a result, they make school systems highly inefficient. Teachers have to spend class time on rules regarding the appropriate usage of cell phones and enforce those rules. Having to waste limited and valuable class time in such trivial issue as distraction by cell phone greatly decreases the quality and quantity of education received by students.

That is all for now.

I am looking forward to Pro's arguments.

[1] http://www.ons.gov.uk...
[2] www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/need
grayger

Pro

I can not disprove the con's arguments and therefore forfeit This debate. I thank the con for engaging me in this challenge, and concede that he had very well written arguments. thank you for your time
sewook123

Con

Thank you Pro for this interesting debate and for his compliments.

I thank Pro for his prompt response stating his arguments.

Best of wishes in your future debates.
Posted by Toxicgengar 3 years ago
Toxicgengar
this will be da bestest debate in dah whol world!!
Posted by angeliese8676wisdom 3 years ago
angeliese8676wisdom
This debate should be interesting. I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Posted by IAlwaysWinDebates 3 years ago
IAlwaysWinDebates
I was just about to accept haha. Than it told me I couldnt D:
Vote Placed by Matt_L 3 years ago
Matt_L
graygersewook123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by Pro.
Vote Placed by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
graygersewook123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
graygersewook123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession