catlady123
aburk903

should kids be home schooled?

aburk903

catlady123

Con

Kids these days are not getting to proper education. They are being home schooled leaving them the opportunity to maybe learn quicker or more. Going to either private or public school teaches them how to interact with people to teach them people skills. I believe that kids should not be home school unless certain circumstances.
aburk903

Pro

I will treat this first round as a round of acceptance, but with a bit of clarification. In the following round, I ask my opponent to clarify her intent in regards to a few key terms from her first round. When my opponent asserts that "Kids...are not getting [the] proper education" I ask for clarification as to what extent she means and what causal factors in this can be directly attributed to homeschooling. Next, I ask that my opponent expound on her choice of social interaction as a value over what she acknowledges to be a chance to learn more and at a more rapid rate. Finally, I ask for clarification as to what circumstances make homeschooling acceptable in her opinion. I look forward to an interesting debate, Con!
catlady123

Con

catlady123 forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

I extend all arguments from round one. I also would like to point out that my opponent's account shows that she was online one day ago. I hope all is well.
catlady123

Con

Well, excuse me if I have a life that doesn't revolve around a debate site! I mean seriously I have to worry about school and my 4 children that go to school, plus the 2 kids that don't go to school. The circumstances that I'm talking about is that maybe your child has a mental/learning disability and you feel that school is not going to suit your child, but even then they can go to special schools or programs. Kids don't need to be isolated by their parents because they feel as though the world is 'too bad' for their liking. How are children can't learn people skills if they only work with their family. Every single job in the world needs you to be able to relate, talk, and interact with others. If you keep them from the world how are they supposed to live in it when they are on their own. Teachers go to school for at least 4 years. How is a computer supposed to be able to have the same connection with the student. When the child becomes friends with the teacher they listen more and understand more about the subject. The child on the computer can guess and cheat by using the computers calculators. If one of the parents are teaching the student, and they don't have a degree in teaching, can make the student lack in knowledge.
aburk903

Pro

I'm sure that very few active members of DDO's lives revolve around the site, but it is still expected that when one commits to a debate (especially given a timeline that they have proposed) it is understood that there is a degree of assumed commitment.

I. I would propose that my opponent's exception to the ideal of non-home-schooling in the case of children with mental disabilities is actually an example of a time that a formal school is almost a necessity. If a child has a unique learning disability then a specialized teacher trained to assist them will be much more necessary than a typical teacher to the typical student. I would suggest the opposite case is when home schooling becomes an ideal choice. When a student has above average learning capabilities it is often damaging to confine them to the traditional classroom during their most formative years.

II. Home schooling is not directly linked to parents who believe the world is too bad. For the religiously conservative there are private religious schools and for the more strict disciplinarians there are military boarding schools. Home schooling often is not a means of isolation, but rather a means of personalized learning adapted specifically to the student's needs and abilities.

III. Online high school is not traditional homeschooling. Programs like K-12 are relatively new and even with more online oriented home schooling there is still a level of parent-child accountability. To suggest that the student simply sits in front of a screen for four years is simply inaccurate.

IV. My opponent mentions student-teacher connection as a benefit of traditional schooling. If this is the case, then what better connection is there than that of a parent to a child? Not only is it fairly unusual for the average student to form a real connection with their teachers in high school, but it is also something that changes every year. A parent who also serves as an instructor has a greater probability of understanding their child's learning needs and will therefore create the best learning environment.

All this to say, home schooling is not always the best option and should not be universally implemented. However, to say that home schooling can not be beneficial or that home schooling is only desirable in the case of those with disabilities is simply incorrect.
catlady123

Con

catlady123 forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

All arguments extended from Round 3.
catlady123

Con

catlady123 forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

Vote Pro, ladies and gentlemen.
Posted by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
Believe me, I'm not a big proponent of home schooling, but I just don't believe it's as black and white as proposed in this case. It's a legitimate option for a certain demographic, but this topic was more absolute.
Posted by Racism-is-right 3 years ago
Racism-is-right
I believe your children to be at school for the safe side, from how the world is now, your really don't know whats going to happen in your and their future of over coming death or injury, goes for being at school like bullying or and school break in. thats my opinion
Posted by LogicalLunatic 3 years ago
LogicalLunatic
"Proper education". In other words, an education that teaches you premarital sex is good, being gay is good, the Founding Fathers were Anti-Theistic atheists, the world will be too hot for life to survive in 10 years, a boy who feels like a girl is a girl, and the earth is several billion years old.
Am I correct?
Vote Placed by Alduin 3 years ago
Alduin
catlady123aburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Private beats public
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
catlady123aburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.