should kids be paid to go to school
Debate Rounds (3)
Against: Kids should be paid to go to school.
You didn't include who's going to pay them whether the government or the school, but here are my arguments.
1. Kids shouldn't be paid to go to school, the better solution would be making education on all levels free. Primary education in most countries is already free, there are also some countries where college education is already free.
2. If you're referring to preschoolers, elementary students, and high school students when you say "kids". And they should be paid so that they can buy school supplies. That is the parents' responsibilities.
3. You're saying that kids should be paid, so that they can buy things that they want. There is a huge difference in "want" and "need". The "needs" should be provided by the parents, and the "wants" is something they should work for. If you want something; don't beg for it, earn it.
4. If kids get paid to go to school, they will have a source of money. Money is a powerful thing, and giving kids money would most likely lead to terrible things. Illegal drugs, and alcohol would be easily obtained (it is already easy) by teenagers if they have enough money to pay someone to buy it for them.
5. If kids get paid to go to school, some terrible parents would abuse their kids to extort money from them. This would result to more child violence. It would be like their parents live off of their kids' money. They will have them go to school so that they can bring in money.
6. If kids get paid to go to school, they will stop wanting to work. It is quite ironic. We study to get degrees, and apply them into the real world (to work). But if we're getting paid to go to school, we wouldn't want to work anymore.
7. People go to school because they want to learn or to get a better job. If kids get paid to go to school, some kids(especially teenagers) will just do it for the money, not for the sake of learning.
8. For the kids that doesn't have parents or have parents with low income, there are a lot of organizations(Bill Gates foundation for example) that's already helping them get to school and to provide their needs. So not paying kids to go to school shouldn't be a problem.
9. Paying kids to go to school would nullify scholarships. The kids on scholarship study hard to maintain their grades so that their scholarship won't get revoked. Most kids these days doesn't even have the thirst for knowledge already, and paying them would just make it worse.
I believe I've already stated adequate reasons to why kids shouldn't be paid to go to school.
Your turn PRO.
YOUR TURN CON
PRO stated about the loss of trees to make money. And this is against PRO's case.
PRO stated that if kids get paid to go to school so that they buy school supplies for themselves would make them grow up to be more mature and responsible. I disagree with this one. They'd be spending money they didn't earn, might as well call it "easy money". This won't make them more mature and responsible, it's just spoiling them. If they're not paid to go to school, they'd work to buy what they "want" if they're parents doesn't want to spoil them much. And that would be making them more mature and responsible. If they worked to buy what they "want" instead of asking their parents for everything.
PRO stated that if kids could provide for themselves, they would stop nagging at their parents for stuff(Candy, soda, clothes, books, treats). Again, this would be spoiling them. Kids should learn to be satisfied with what they have, and stop begging for their parents to buy them stuffs they "want". Parents should be able to provide their kids clothes. Candy, treats, and soda are basically something that the kid "wants", they're not a necessity. Books? As long as they're educational books, I don't see any reason for the parents to not buy them. And if the parents are not able to buy the certain book the kid wants, I say it again, kids should learn to appreciate what they have. There are a lot of public libraries everywhere where you can find good books, and read them for free.
PRO hasn't refuted any of my arguments, and I've countered all of PRO's arguments.
Your turn PRO.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate