clairebearl2002
Mathgeekjoe

should kids be vaccinated

Mathgeekjoe

clairebearl2002

Pro

should kids at school have to be vaccinated. Yes! if the kids are not safe it could cause them to no be going to school because they are sick. do you want your child to have a good education. vaccination should be mandatory
Mathgeekjoe

Con

I believe vaccines are a useful tool at preventing illness and saving lives. The smallpox vaccine was able to eradicate smallpox from the earth, which has saved countless lives. The rabies vaccine is the only way you can survive rabies, otherwise it would be 100% lethal. And there is work on an ebola vaccine which would stop ebola outbreaks in the future. Yet despite my support of vaccines, I do not think they should be mandatory.

Making vaccines mandatory is a bad idea for two reasons. Reason one, some people have dangerous or even fatal reactions to vaccines. Reason two, the government should not force substances into people's bodies. I will expand on these point in the next round.
clairebearl2002

Pro

clairebearl2002 forfeited this round.
Mathgeekjoe

Con

Well it is time for me to expand on my previous two points.

My first point is that people do have dangerous reactions to vaccines. The probability of these dangerous reactions are different depending on the vaccine. Each vaccine has a different probability of a bad reactions and different types of bad reactions (1). By forcing everyone to take a vaccine forces some to take something harmful, and in rare situations even lethal.

Currently working at a bio-lab with a safety level of 3 requires mandatory vaccines, but its reasons for being mandatory are far more justifiable since it deals with working with harmful pathogens as part of the job. But the requirement points out crucial effects of making vaccines mandatory, it prevents people with harmful reactions to vaccines from being able to be in the job. For example, Nancy Jaax couldn't get vaccinated without negative reactions so she had no chance of working in biosafety level 3. Instead she had to try to get into biosafety level 4 since the diseases there had no vaccines or cures.
If vaccines were to be mandatory, it would force people with bad reactions to either do something that makes them sick or even worse kill them, or be force to go through any punishments for not following the mandate.

My second point is that the government should not be able to force people to have a substance injected into their body. There are certain things that should not be in the governments power do to the possibility of abuse. While it may currently seem that the government cannot do anything wrong, that doesn't mean that it can't go down hill in the future. The last thing you need in the future is a corrupt government that can inject the citizens with what it deems fit. In addition mandating vaccines encroaches on our rights. People should have a right to decide what doesn't go into our body.

Sources 1 http://www.cdc.gov...
clairebearl2002

Pro

clairebearl2002 forfeited this round.
Mathgeekjoe

Con

My opponent hasn't been online for a week. I think they might forfeit round 4 too. My apologize to voters for the debate being stagnant. Since there is nothing for me to rebuttal or defend, I lack anything to further argue.
clairebearl2002

Pro

clairebearl2002 forfeited this round.
Mathgeekjoe

Con

Vote con.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 2 years ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Sorry, corrected that.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
@Diqiucun_Cunmin, you voted for pro yet the description for you vote was for con.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
@myleemckinney. If you look at what pro said round one, you would notice it is more than should kids be vaccinated, it is about whether they should be mandatory. I personally think vaccines do a lot of good, but I don't think people should be force to take them or the government should be able to force you to have a substance injected into your body.
Posted by myleemckinney 2 years ago
myleemckinney
Kids should absolutely be vaccinated! I can't believe this is even a debate! Vaccines save lives. It's proof by statistics. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimated that 732,000 American children were saved from death and 322 million cases of childhood illnesses were prevented between 1994 and 2014 due to vaccination. The measles vaccine has decreased childhood deaths from measles by 74%. I know that some quacks argue that vaccines aren"t safe, but the major medical organizations say that they are. The organizations that approve of vaccines are the CDC, FDA, Institute of Medicine, American Medical Association, and US Department of Health and Human Sciences, just to name a few. I know that those against vaccination will argue that the pharmaceutical companies have those organizations in their pockets, but I just can"t believe that is true given the statistics showing that vaccines prevent illness. Lots of parents argue that vaccines cause adverse reactions, but these occasions are extremely rare. CNN reported last year that a person is 100 times more likely to be hit by lightening than to have an adverse reaction to a vaccine.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
I wasn't talking about immunosuppressed people. There are other types of people who have bad reactions to vaccines. An example of one such person Nancy Jaax, worked at a Biosafety Lab. To work in a biosafety level three you needed to be vaccinated for everything in the lab. Nancy Jaax couldn't get vaccinated without negative reactions so she had no chance of working in biosafety level 3. Instead she had to try to get into bio safety level 4 since the diseases there had no vaccines or cures.
Posted by Fuzzed 2 years ago
Fuzzed
Question for next round of the Con.

I dont think immunosupressed are asked or even allowed to get vaccinations.

Two, vaccinations of the populace isnt about the individual but herd immunity. It in facts protects those that cant get vaccines that you recently spoke of.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
clairebearl2002MathgeekjoeTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
clairebearl2002MathgeekjoeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Diqiucun_Cunmin 2 years ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
clairebearl2002MathgeekjoeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for Pro's FF. S&G to Con - Pro used nearly no capitalisation. Arguments to Con - Pro provided very little reasoning while Con successfully refuted Pro and provided new arguments that went unadressed.