5soshorselover
lolpas

should kids pick there own extracaricular activities ?

5soshorselover

Pro

I think kids should be able to focuse on what interests the student I am in 5th grade and i would like to be able to pick which activities i do i could use my one our of music to add on to my 1 hour of physical education . then if i want i have practice to be a olympion athlete. it depends on what you want to do in life.
lolpas

Con

I understand where you are coming from. I remember when I was in elementary school, I thought the exact same thing. It gets especially worse in grades 7/8, as you feel as though because you're so high up the school ladder, you deserve the right.

But let me just say this, more likely than not, you have no idea what you actually want to be when you grow up. I mean, if you want to be an olympic athlete, that's awesome man. You've got more heart than I ever did. But that means you need to train, a lot. And not just at school during physical education, because they're not doing an olympic training camp. You should get your parents to sign you up for training camps and competitions in whatever sport/event you choose.

I used to want to be Prime Minister of Canada. For a while I thought about being a police officer, and then spent a lot of time seriously considering joining the army. But none of those are what I chose in the end. Right now, I'm studying really high-level maths in preparation for a super hard math job where I calculate what might happen to who, and all the details with it.

Notice how my dream job now is completely unrelated to everything I wanted to do before. This happens, it's a natural part of growing up. As you learn more things, you fall in love with some stuff, and out of love with others. But if there's one thing I know for sure, is that maybe only half the people in my grade (grade 11) already know for sure what they want to do, and I can only imagine how small that number really is in grade 9.

So what I'm trying to get at is, is that elementary school helps you see a little bit of everything. It gives you the basics in each subject so that no matter what you choose in the future (and you might change your mind a lot), you don't start from nothing. Choosing your own classes is a bad thing for kids because they might make a mistake when they're young, but when you get older, it might be really hard to fix that mistake. Plus, trust me, almost everything you'll learn in elementary will be useful one day later in your life. Appreciate what you have, because it's a pretty sweet deal.
5soshorselover

Pro

some kids don't like the extracurricular activities I mean not everybody is an m.v.p. athlete . some people aren't artist like Picasso or calho . or a music master like Mozart . I think kids should pick there activities so they can excel in what interests them . not what the school board can afford .I love horse riding I'm athletic so I would maybe pick p.e and music because those are the things that interests me I don't know about you ,but I only get 1 hour of each activities I have music pe and art I'm not usually fancy I'm usually might sound corny but me and my friends are "cool and swaggy" we aren't 5 star but we like to learn more of what we like . plus we don't have to get a bad grade on what were not good at.
lolpas

Con

You should probably be looking to focus a bit more on learning instead of grades right now. High school doesn't reject people for anything, so you don't have to worry about that. Instead, focus more on having fun in class and doing what you love. Like you said, if you love P.E, make yourself the best at it. If you love music, become really good at it. The first ~8 grades of school are there for you to actually learn. And even if you don't like a subject, like I said, almost everything you learn in those classes you'll need to know later. For example, I had a project recently in science, and I needed to know an art technique involving lots of dots. The other day I had a programming project which needed a lot of math.

So essentially what I'm trying to say is we've all been where you are now. It's perfectly natural. You want freedom, but you're not getting it. But trust me, this is the better way because when you get older, you'll look back and realize how good it is that you weren't allowed to make these mistakes.
5soshorselover

Pro

5soshorselover forfeited this round.
lolpas

Con

lolpas forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
My 16 year old grandson asked me one day. " How long do I have to l;isten to my mother". I said. " Ypu don't have to listen now. Just get a job, get your own place and pay your own bills." He did not like that but today at 18 he is on his own and found out how smart his mother is.

When you are mature enough to stand on your own feet, then you are ready to make life choices without your parents direction.Remember, thyey have already been where you are. And are willing to see to it that you do not make the mistakes they made.Because ALL choices have consequences. Some good, and some bad.