swagpig64
Dantheman828

should kids play video games

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 5 months ago Status: Voting Period

swagpig64

Pro

video games improve a lot of skills like hand eye coordination social skills and improve imagination.
Dantheman828

Con

The Affirmative has shown little argument; one sentence was scripted to their constructive. We're gonna talk about that for a little while.

1. The affirmative has listed three reasons that video games are somehow good for kids. But how do they know? The sources in their argument are nowhere to be found in the argument and the reasons are poorly constructed.
2. Hand Eye Coordination? What Hand eye coordination? More like Thumb Eye coordination. Granted, video games may improve reaction time for a Soccer Goalkeeper, but how well would a soccer goalie reach for an incoming ball if he was solely trained on pressing buttons on a console controller for his entire career. Xbox Kinect is a different story, because A) I doubt that anybody uses it today, B) the Affirmative has made no attempt to confirm the type of console the gamers would be using.
3. Social Skills. The possible social skills that could be developed by this are either playing online or in the same room, or playing with random strangers online. You can't develop social skills with close friends because those relationships have already been developed. Close friends become closer mostly through hardships and difficult periods in life. If you lose a kill streak on Call of Duty, I would have difficulty placing that in the category I described- I would identify that as something to laugh about later in life. As for connecting with random strangers, that is a dangerous game you are playing with your personal safety. Who knows how easily a predator can hide online and give/get personal info? It could be a sexual predator or a drug dealer, and this is most definitely not an ideal environment for young children and adolescents to be surrounding themselves with.

4. Improvement of Imagination? do you mean "Improvement" as in to stop homicidal/genocidal thoughts? I'm afraid that a first-person shooter will not improve that sort of imagination, rather than to fuel the thoughts and strengthen the killing mindset. If it means just to "Expand" one's imagination, that would be probably more true, because the thought of playing in a completely made-up world is quite expansive...but then again, what imagination do you use if the world is already made up for you by a corporation?

Here are some stock issues

Harm:
As stated above, the arguments the affirmative have stated have all been proven wrong. All four points are now being provided as harms to the resolution.

Inherency:
There is a noticeable trend between childhood obesity and new introductions of consoles and videogames. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) research center in Atlanta, GA, has concluded statistics within this trend.
""Approximately 17% (or 12.7 million) of children and adolescents aged 2"19 years are obese
"The prevalence of obesity among children aged 2 to 5 years decreased significantly from 13.9% in 2003-2004 to 8.4% in 2011-2012.

In 2011-2012, 8.4% of 2- to 5-year-olds had obesity compared with 17.7% of 6- to 11-year-olds and 20.5% of 12- to 19-year-olds.Childhood obesity is also more common among certain racial and ethnic groups.
"In 2011-2012, the prevalence among children and adolescents was higher among Hispanics (22.4%) and non-Hispanic blacks (20.2%) than among non-Hispanic whites (14.1%).
"The prevalence of obesity was lower in non-Hispanic Asian youth (8.6%) than in youth who were non-Hispanic white, non-Hispanic black or Hispanic.

Note: In children and adolescents age 2 to 19 years, obesity was defined as a body mass index (BMI) at or above the 95th percentile of the sex-specific CDC BMI-for-age growth charts."
Source: http://www.cdc.gov...

The trend between the two issues continues to grow at an alarming rate. Above, I have attacked the affirmative for a poor argument and turned the tables to them.

And to the affirmative- If you used a poorly structured argument to expose my views to use for a school paper you have not finished, I have two things to say.
1) Credit me when your classmates see you get rest
2) Shame on you. Plagiarism is not cool.
swagpig64

Pro

swagpig64 forfeited this round.
Dantheman828

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I see no need to argue other than to assert to my original arguments. They are not strengthening their thesis, only weakening it. I will return next round for rebuttal.
swagpig64

Pro

swagpig64 forfeited this round.
Dantheman828

Con

He forfeited. again. I win.
Vote Placed by FurryDragon 1 month ago
FurryDragon
swagpig64Dantheman828Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeits two rounds, letting con win those two rounds.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 months ago
dsjpk5
swagpig64Dantheman828Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. I failed to show examples of the forfeits, however, so hopefully someone reports this vote so this travesty can be reversed, and my victim made whole.
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 4 months ago
lord_megatron
swagpig64Dantheman828Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro forfeited 2/3 rounds