should middle school students have uniforms

Started: 10/23/2013 Category: Fashion

I think that school uniforms should NOT be allowed in schools. For one, this is a violation to privacy. Also, though people think that requiring school uniforms will stop bullying, people should consider that bullies have other things to pick on students. Finally, as far as wealth goes, there are many other ways to express wealth, such as shoes and backpacks, so that wont help at all. I am only 12 and this is my first debate so can you guys go easy on me! Thanks!

Hello, I see where you are coming from, however, school uniforms have other purposes besides hiding wealth and to stop bullying. It can also be a way to show students discipline and a way to teach them to follow rules. Also, when students all where the same uniform, it can form a type of feeling that expresses the feeling of unity and that all of you students are in this school together, studying the same thing, and wearing the same clothes. One resource I have is a saying from President Clinton in the 1996 State of Union speech in which he says, "If it means teenagers will stop killing each other over designer jackets, then our public schools should be able to require their students to wear school uniforms."

But nowadays the schools that have uniforms are usually Private, Catholic, other religious schools, and very few public schools.

Also, this can be a benefit for you students, too (including me). School uniforms can save you from the hassle of finding clothes to wear every morning. Although I love fashion, school is a place for learning, and there are many other places you can express yourself with what you wear.

Another reason schools enforce uniforms is to help them identify intruders. When they see or notice a person who is out of place, they can confront them and solve the problem.

I hope I wasn't harsh and I hope you have a better understanding on it. :)

I definitely see your point and I admire your perspective on the matter, however, maybe students DON'T want that feeling of everybody being in this together, because, in reality, we are actually not. There is tutoring and gifted programs for example. And each person's school experience is quite different. I completely agree with the quote you used, but notice my debate title says Should MIDDLE SCHOOL Students Have Uniforms. Are middle school students really at the age where they have a strong enough sense of fashion to fight violently over jackets?

rahafalhabashi forfeited this round.

wihoover forfeited this round.

rahafalhabashi forfeited this round.
Posted by kortneeblairsit 2 years ago
no because some people cant afford it
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins.