maggymeow
Georgia_Peach

should minecraft be allowed in schools

Georgia_Peach
Started: 4/21/2015 Category: Games

maggymeow

Con

I think that we shouldn't allow minecraft in schools because it is disruprtive and has no scholarly use
Georgia_Peach

Pro

Yes! It's very educational from math to geology. It also teaches kids valuable lessons such as if a kid's "sword" gets stolen, it teaches them that they need to lock their chests and not bring valuable things with them. It can also teach them architectural skills such as, if they want to make a 50 floor building, how many blocks high will I need to build? Not only is that architectural but it's math@
maggymeow

Con

Having something get stolen is common knowledge. This is a game where you can steal and kill others. Does that sound school appropriate? As for architecture. in this game blocks can float, that would show false information for architecture. In math there is much you can other than addition subtraction and multiplication of which should be known and memorised
Georgia_Peach

Pro

I agree that the blocks do just float and that's not what I am talking about. It teaches kids how to make things cool,creative, and "their own".
Diamond_sparklez, you are correct, you can not lock chests in single player mostly because it's unecessary because their is nobody else on your world. But, when you are on multiplayer, lots of people can freely steal from your chests, but on some servers you can lock chests and doors.
maggymeow

Con

Though creativity could be good, sometimes just having it be a game can distract people, perhaps they will choose to other stuff than just building and math. Minecraft can be too open world, if kids behave badly normally, imagine what would happen in a world without limits.
Georgia_Peach

Pro

How can creative distract people?
Posted by BarbieSoFetch 1 year ago
BarbieSoFetch
Pro; It allows a person of any age to go out of their comfort zone and express creativity. If it were allowed in school it should be perceived as an award. And it will make a student actually motivated to work. Plus, there will always be distractions in school. Whether caused by other students, or games, Minecraft has some educational aspects to the game. Example: Minecraft teaches about different biomes, there can be the winter one, jungle one, desert one, regular one. These are examples of the tundra, grasslands, etc. Plus, there are obstacles in this game. The first time you play this you will be completely lost and it is your obligation to survive. I feel like this could be perceived as obstacles in life. Life lessons! Like not everything could be handed to you, or you have to work for what you want, etc. Plus there are ways of breeding dogs, cows, pigs, sheep, etc. Also, the blocks represent different things, like some could be coal, stone, sand, soil, etc. Not to mention, you can plant which did help me on a test once. In Minecraft, in order to correctly manage your crops you had to make sure the water got on all sides of the crops, which is also known as Chinampas. It did help me remember what it was on a history test, xD. And when you get iron, or gold, you have to smelt it. For the architectural reason, I believe in some ways it does make sense. It offers people to design something they want, using creativity. There are so many things/materials to work with. Such as; different types of wood, metal, stones, plants, etc. In many ways this game could help inspire a child's/person's future. It just depends on how they perceive this game.

I will post stuff on Con's behalf to. And points they never mentioned later.
Posted by Tekjebe 1 year ago
Tekjebe
One note I would like to make in favor of Minecraft is the use of redstone. Redstone as you probably know is the minecraft form of electrical wiring. This can be used in machines and "devices" that are very close to their real life counterpart. Calculators and calculating machines are just some of the machines people have made. Think about it, redstone comparators are crude logic gates in and of themselves. Real-life electrical techniques can be taught using redstone. Also Minecraft can be used to develop spatial awareness.
Posted by maggymeow 1 year ago
maggymeow
@Diamond_sparklez I agree my arguments are half baked I am young and still find it hard to go against something I believe in. I know that later in life I will have to do so but for now I am helping a friend build up her arguement
Posted by Diamond_sparklez 1 year ago
Diamond_sparklez
maggymeow, your round 2 post, in my opinion, is not completely valid. First off, there are many groups of people who make software for Minecraft that takes out violence or they offer programs that help students learn. MinecraftEDU and YouthDigital to name two. I agree with you that the architecture part of your argument is correct, where most blocks just float in the air when the block is broken under neither. But there are modifications that add proper gravity to the game. Also, MinecraftEDU is supported my Mojang themselves. As I talked about YouthDigital, you are able to code you own mod for Minecraft, while in the progress of learning the coding language of Java. That skill we be useful in the modern world. But Georgia_Peach, unless you have some more experience in Minecraft than me, then I don't know how, but you cant lock chests in minecraft. The only way would be to place a block on top of the chest, which would be easily breakable. Anyway, Minecraft has many educational uses, all you have to do is look up on Google "Uses for Minecraft educationally" and tons of results pop up, some from VERY reliable sources, like PBS and Scholastic (not just that they sell there books, they actually have pages for using Minecraft as a learning tool.)
Vote Placed by Cinnamon 1 year ago
Cinnamon
maggymeowGeorgia_PeachTied
Reasons for voting decision: Was an argument at first, but then got a little laggy.(video game pun intended)