pariashi
Defro

should mobiles be allowed in school

Defro

pariashi

Pro

Here are some details-
1-First round is for acceptance and enquiring The opponent may express his views
2-In the second and third round,we voice our opinion on the topic
3-In this debate,we particularly emphasize on the students of age group 12-18 years(whether they should be allowed to carry cell phones with them to school or not)

All the best and may the best debater win!
Defro

Con

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

According to Pro: "we particularly emphasize on the students of age group 12-18 years(whether they should be allowed to carry cell phones with them to school or not)"

Carry (verb):
to wear, hold, or have around
one
http://dictionary.reference.com...

School (noun):
a regular course of meetings of a teacher or teachers and students for instruction; program of instruction.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

I will be arguing that students of the age 12 - 18 should not carry cell phones with them to school, but instead, keep their cell phones in thier lockers or with their teachers while school is in session, which excludes recess/break/lunch time and afterschool.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Cell phones are a distraction during school:
-While teachers are giving their lectures, many students have been known to have paid no attention to the lectures but instead sought entertainment from their cell phones by texting and playing games during lectures. In most cases this will obviously result in students forgetting/not hearing something important the teacher says and in the long run affect their grades.

Cell phones give students unfair advantages:
-With a smart phone equipped, students can easily find answers to the questions they have been asked by teachers. They can easily look up answers to a quiz/test. This is not only cheating, but it is unfair to students who do not have phones with them during school. If caught, these students will recieve severe punishment.

pariashi

Pro

Yes, mobile phones should be allowed in school.. It does not matter what age the student may be. If a child has forgotten their homework they should be allowed to call their parents to bring it to the school. Calling from a cell phone will save time compared to going to the office to use the phone. This is time the child can remain in class and miss less of a class lecture. Mobile phones are always good to have on hand especially in case of an emergency.I believe when you consider the rare school shootings that have happened over the last couple of decades, it is important to allow mobile phones on school property for emergency purposes. I think it is important to teach children how to be responsible with their electronic devices and school is the perfect setting to do that.
Defro

Con

So Pro has conceded?

I believe Pro has misunderstood my position and has confused the word school with campus.

Pro is saying that: students should be allowed to carry cell phones to and in school, implying that they are allowed to have their phones with them during their lectures.

I am saying that: students should not be allowed to carry their cell phones to and in school, meaning that they they are not allowed to have their phones with them during their lectures. They are to hand their phones to their teachers or keep them in their lockers.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Rebuttals:

"If a child has forgotten their homework they should be allowed to call their parents to bring it to the school."

-This can just as easily be done using a phone within the facilities of the campus.

"Calling from a cell phone will save time compared to going to the office to use the phone."

-Most schools in the United States have individual telephones in every classroom. I will provide a link of your average school district and how it has telephones installed in most of the schools. Therefore, students will not have to go to the office. Furthermore, my resolution allows students to get their phones from their teachers so minimal time is wasted as well.

http://www.fortdodge.k12.ia.us...;

"Mobile phones are always good to have on hand especially in case of an emergency."

-No they are not always good to have on hand because of the previously mentioned points I made in round 1 and my new point that I will explain in my addendum. Furthermore, according to my resolution, if there is an emergency, students can retrieve their phones from their teachers.

"I believe when you consider the rare school shootings that have happened over the last couple of decades, it is important to allow mobile phones on school property for emergency purposes."

-Not neccessarily. Cell phones very can easily be made into bomb detonators. Terrorists have used this and it has killed several people. They are very easy to make (refer to the video I have provided). As you can see from the video, the cell phones can be used both as bombs or as bomb starters. By having teachers confiscate every cell phone, students would be unable to detonate their cell phone bombs had they made one for terrorist intentions upon the school.

-If there were an emergency, teachers would give the students back their phones.

http://www.officer.com...
http://www.textually.org...
http://news.cnet.com...

"I think it is important to teach children how to be responsible with their electronic devices and school is the perfect setting to do that."

-I guess so, but it is at the cost of many children losing their cell phones to begin with that they begin to be more responsible.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Addendum:

-As mentioned in my rebuttal, cell phones can be used as dangerous weapons, and having a teacher confiscate all the students' cell phones will reduce the danger.

pariashi

Pro

pariashi forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

I believe it would be valid to urge everyone to vote Con?

-Pro has conceded and forfeited the last round.
Posted by pariashi 3 years ago
pariashi
All the best!!
Posted by pariashi 3 years ago
pariashi
All the best!!
Vote Placed by Social-twitterfly 3 years ago
Social-twitterfly
pariashiDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pretty obvious. I changed my mind after the debate because of his arguments and the pro's lack of arguments. Con had everything. Evidence, more sources, didn't concede a round, better conduct.