kishalini
ClassicGent

should mothers go to work?

kishalini

Pro

Mothers have equal rights as men. Mothers should go to work because they get a better knowledge about the society. They act as a role model for their kids. Why is it always the mother who should stay at home? why can't the father stay at home and look after the kids? In today's world a family cannot survive only with the father's salary. Mothers also should go to work to tackle the family's financial problems.
ClassicGent

Con

Firstly I would like to thank the instigator for beginning a debate of such intrigue. The best of luck to you.

Mothers, or should we say women, do indeed have equal rights as men, though this seems to be a debatable matter in itself amongst feminists. Mothers, in particular question, have the CHOICE to work, though I will be debating why it is questionable that mothers SHOULD work. You state that "mothers should go to work because they get a better knowledge about the society". This, however, lies solely with the job in question. If an individual works for extended periods of time as a factory worker, for example, that sits at an assembly line twisting nuts and bolts tight, what do you learn but hardship and tiring routine? Now, let me clarify that this is all relative to the job we are discussing. A person can obtain a better understanding of society and its commonalities in other ways than working a career, though aiding it may be. I will elaborate on your other points further on.
kishalini

Pro

Thank you ClassicGent for accepting my challenge. A mother should go to work because she may feel lonely and boring at home when her husband and children go out - husband to work and her children to school. As an example you can take me. My mother is a teacher and I never felt lonely or depressed when she is out. I instead became responsible and independent. A recent survey held by the 'mother and baby magazine found' even states that 94% of the mothers say that going to work sets an example for their kids.
ClassicGent

Con

Let me first, kishalini, regard your first passage.

If mothers act as role-models for their children, how is it possible for the children to emulate their mother if she is rarely there for them? If she works, shall we say 5-6 hours a day, how much of the mother do the children truly know? You then say that there is no reason why the father should be the one to stay home and the mother, to work. Although this is certainly applicable, in what way would that solve the issue? If the norm becomes that fathers must stay home, what is not to say that fathers cannot protest this new order? The concern of salary is of course also relative to the career and financial situation.

If a mother is lonely or unoccupied, it would be her responsibility to make certain that she is not so. I also fear that your use of a personal example is an anecdotal logical fallacy. Furthermore, I would like to have the link to your source so I can validate it.

I thank you and anticipate your reply.
kishalini

Pro

I could like to tell you something important. A child learns from the parents, if a mother is able to manage both the household and her work, the child learns how to be responsible and how to manage time. In today's world of high prices, both parents going to work is a benefit. Do you want a family to die without money? One more thing, if there are more than four kids in a family, it is hard to survive only with the father's salary. As girls, we learn household stuffs when our mothers are out. There is no such effect on mothers going to work. As conclusion, I could say mothers should go to work.
ClassicGent

Con

For both parents to work is perhaps a monetary or financial benefit, but not a family or psychological benefit. Money, though it is important, should not be the primary concern of any family. Rather happiness and unity. There is little that can be learned from a parent when they are always out. Even when they are at home, they are working, having little time to teach or bond with their children. You state, as girls, you learn housekeeping skills when the mother is out. But how is that possible when they were never taught because the mother was not present?
Lastly, in regards to who works, though the choice always exists for one parent to work, while another not, the choice to stay home is best if chosen by a mother. The exception lies when there are not two parents home, however, the nature of a mother is very important to a child. In conclusion, mothers have the choice to work, but if possible, in the best interests of their children, they should stay home and truly raise their kids.