trumpster58
slightlyirategentleman

should parents of bulleis pay a fine

slightlyirategentleman

trumpster58

Pro

think they should because it would reduce bullying by alot and they were so cruel to me when i was bullied i hated it. it made me want to die.
slightlyirategentleman

Con

I do not believe in any way, shape or form that fining parents for the actions of their children will provide any sort of result in curbing bullying.

Fundamentally, it comes down to the teaching of the parent's morals to their children to respect others. However, in situations where the family is under a lot of tension or stress, which can be caused by a multitude of reasoning, fining the parents may only be detrimental to low income families or encourage antisocial/negative behaviour towards punishing the bully.

It comes down to the school disciplining the bully in a way that is effective but fair, and teaching children how to respond to bullying. Fining parents for the actions of their children, which they ultimately have no control over, can only be detrimental.
trumpster58

Pro

i understand where youre coming from and trust me when you are bullied like i was it makes youwant to dieeeee i think if we fined the parents it get their attetion which would then make the intervien
slightlyirategentleman

Con

Any parent that does not intervene when the school informs them that their child is bullying another is simply a bad parent. Attaching a financial risk onto the situation is not going to change that, and may only cause them to respond in a destructive manner.

Bullies are more often than not troubled themselves. Using their actions to burden their families with further financial risk is only going to cause a most hostile environment for them at home. This will only cause further extremes to the bully's actions by way of negative association with the school and their parents.

You appear to be using your own anecdote as someone on the receiving end to justify your reasoning. Though it is terrible that you were bullied, there is nothing in your argument that suggests anything positive would come of this.
trumpster58

Pro

see what your saying but if we gave them fincial punishment it would get them more involved and also it would also make them become more sensitive which could leaad to understanding what you have been through and thank you so much for doing this debate with me and also having smpythaty it is hard with depression to ever feel happy and you did god bless you and tank you so much for making my day
slightlyirategentleman

Con

Its upsetting to see that you are going through such a hard time, and I'm sure you'll make it through the other side.

Regarding the fine, there isn't any backing to substantiate the claim that it would get parents more involved, nor would it make them more sensitive.

If anything, fining parents would be detrimental to the attitude of the parent's towards the kids, causing them to respond negatively in a way which may further irrationalise the actions of the bully. I simply cant see the correlation between fining parents and them becoming more sensitive or engaging with their children. If they did not care enough before receiving a fine that their child was a bully, I doubt they would care after that or would simply lash out at them instead. This is simply the result of a bad parent.

Thanks for the discussion!
Posted by slightlyirategentleman 1 year ago
slightlyirategentleman
@EdgeOfTheInfinite I'd be more than happy to
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
Con, I would like to actually debate this with ou. Pro seemed rather unfit and made no legitimate arguments, but I would like to have a real debate if you would allow it.
Vote Placed by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
trumpster58slightlyirategentlemanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro seemed like he was very unprepared for formal debating.