masterchief12
LibertarianWithAVoice

should people adopt wild animals

LibertarianWithAVoice

masterchief12

Con

A lot of times this question has popped into my head and at first I thought "why not, people have rights, don't they?" But it could be a major health issue. For example, the animal has rabies, or you decide to set it free after a few years and it dies from starvation or wanders into some random house for food...big problem.
I look forward to seeing what my opponent thinks.
LibertarianWithAVoice

Pro

I would like to start the debate by wishing you good luck.
I will pick this apart piece by piece. My first argument is historical.
Dogs, cats, snakes, rabbits, hedgehogs, birds, etc. All at one point in history were wild. Over time these animals were bred and trained and bred and trained until eventually you get an animal that is relatively safe and domestic. This can be done if people take the necessary precautions, and are willing to keep an accurate log, regimen, and animal crop for their successor to continue immediately. This would take some time but is very possible. In that case the adoption of wild animals is not bad one, and could actually be a productive step if done right.
masterchief12

Con

A very good point, however if you go to http://www.livescience.com... you will see that from 1990-2011 75 people have died from exotic or wild animals under their care many more have been injured.

I await your counterargument.
LibertarianWithAVoice

Pro

I believe that, but domesticated animals kill people too. Here are a few examples.
http://savannahnow.com...
http://www.dogsbite.org...
http://www.cnn.com...

And that brings me too my second addition. The legislative issues.
When you adopt an animal of any variety there needs to be some form of regulation. I usually agree with small government but when it comes to dangerous things you need to have some government involvement. I think we should put in place a stronger animal control force that regulates the adoption, care, and release/giving up of animals. If there is one thing I hate more than a socialist country its a scum bag who throws an animal out to starve, but I digress. If a country/state is willing to regulate these things I believe any animal is not off limits for adoption.
masterchief12

Con

A very good point and I do believe that people that abuse animals deserve to rot in a dark pit. But it is also dangerous to the animal. It can be very stressful for animals in a new house and they sometimes will refuse food. Also, if you currently have a pet they might not get along and fight. The new wild pet might get into food and spread diseases (rabies, parrot fever, etc)
LibertarianWithAVoice

Pro

That response threw me off guard and I have to applaud you for keeping me on the defensive.
My last piece will be the animals safety.
This will go along with my last two and along with a new addition.
1. When animals were first being domesticated we dealt with many of the pet safety issues. Although it was not dealt with well the first time, we have evolved our technology and veterinary abilities
2. If we regulated the adoption, care, and quarantined imported and exotic animals to give them blood testing, we could reduce the assumed disease rate and emotional problems that animals can acquire coming into a new environment.
3. Animals like people may not like their roommate, but like people I have seen animals who ,with the proper techniques, can grow to a great friendship with the other animal.
I really enjoyed the debate and I hope we can do it again someday.
Vote Placed by Pennington 3 years ago
Pennington
masterchief12LibertarianWithAVoiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the more convincing argument. Con actually told Pro he had good points each round. I will give Con points for conduct, not that Pro's was bad. After reading the debate I agreed with Pro.