Nadine1997
nonprophet

should people follow tradtions?!

nonprophet

Nadine1997

Pro

Does tradtion prevent people from doing things in new or more sensible ways?!
nonprophet

Con

I accept the debate. People should not follow traditions.
Nadine1997

Pro

Thanks for accepting
nonprophet

Con

OK, I guess I'll get started.
My opponent asks, "Does tradition prevent people from doing things in new or more sensible ways?!"

I say absolutely!

Let's start with chivalry. It's been a tradition that men ask the woman out for a date. They are expected to pay for the date.
That's all fine and good, but what if a woman is sitting alone and wants to ask a man out? What's wrong with that? Are women supposed to stay home by the phone waiting for it to ring? Just because it's traditional doesn't make it right. It would be more sensible if a woman was equal enough to ask a man out and even pay for him!

Next is Religion:
Who really goes to church every Sunday and reads the Bible? Who really cares if you're not supposed to have sex before your married? Does anybody think twice about working on the "Sabbath"? Sure, people want to claim they are religious, but they don't want all the inconveniences of it. They want to be religious out of tradition. They want to fit in and go along with tradition, but we all know it's more sensible to be able to eat shellfish, work when we want, have sex when we want, etc. We don't really want a 2000 year old book telling us what to do. Yet, somehow, it's important to fit in with others who claim they do.

Next topic: Holidays
How many times are we forced to do things because it's traditional to do on a holiday? Buy flowers, send chocolate, write cards, travel on the busiest days to travel. Things are worth more when you really WANT to do them, not compelled to do them by tradition. If a guy brought a woman flowers in June, wouldn't it mean more than getting them on Valentine's day, when it's EXPECTED?
Christmas is the worse, because of all the commercialism and expectations of presents. It's so empty, that most people end up returning the gifts. The meaning isn't there anymore. It's just something traditional you feel you have to do.

Next topic: Marriage
Over 50% of marriages end in divorce, but people do it anyway because it's traditional. There's nothing a couple can do married that a single couple can't do. Marriage is over-rated and is a big waste of money. You could put a down payment on a house for what is spent on some weddings. That would be more sensible!

In Summary: Traditions just compel people to do things they really don't want to do. it takes away their freedom to do things in more sensible ways. It's silly to do something just because it's "always been done that way".
Nadine1997

Pro

I consider traditions as doing something over and over without considering new ways to do it because your grandparents and their parents were doing it , and so we continue to pass it on. Tradtions hinder our ability to do new things in new ways.
so yeah, if progress is to move forward , traditions of any kind are an obstacle.
nonprophet

Con

The debate is "should people follow tradtions?!". I chose "con", (They should not follow traditions)

In round 1, I accepted the debate and made it clear I was accepting the side of "People should not follow traditions."

In Round 2, my opponent thanked me for accepting and had no objection or doubt as to what side I took.

I then gave 4 good reasons why people should not follow traditions.

Here in the final round, my opponent decided to define "traditions" and then decided to take my position and agreed with me that "traditions of any kind are an obstacle."

Now, I bet you voters will give her all the votes, because she asked a question in round 1 "Does tradtion prevent people from doing things in new or more sensible ways?!"

May I point out that it's just a question and she didn't takes sides or answer it.
I made it clear in round one which side I was taking and there were no objections.

This is one of those trick debates where one first asks a question "should people follow tradtions?!"
Then asks a question in the first round "Does tradtion prevent people from doing things in new or more sensible ways?!"
So if you were pro to the first question, you were con to the second and vice-versa.

This causes confusion what the debate is about and that's why I made it clear which side I took in round 1.

Again, I took the position of "People should not follow traditions" in round 1 and it was never objected to.

Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 3 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Nadine1997nonprophetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't fulfill any BoP.
Vote Placed by baus 3 years ago
baus
Nadine1997nonprophetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro spelt 'traditions' wrong in round one as well as using a question mark and exclamation mark together. Additionally they conceded to Con in the last round.
Vote Placed by DerKing 3 years ago
DerKing
Nadine1997nonprophetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had better grammar and Pro did not really give a strong case nor did Pro refute any points.