Moonrunner
Galahad

should people like My little Pony; Friendship is Magic?

Galahad

Moonrunner

Pro

i think that the show itself is great! the character are very dynamic, and there isn't much more that the show needs. their adventures are fun to watch, and i always want to watch the next episode right after i finish the one i am on. but personally, i want to know what everyone else thinks.
Galahad

Con

Hello, thanks for posting such an interesting debate!
Just for the record, this is my first time debating on this site, so I apologize for any miss-communications etc.

I will try to respond to the two observable portions of this debate topic; first, whether people should watch My Little Pony, and second, what I (as a part of everyone else) think.
OK, here we go!

1. In regards to the title; No, I do not think everyone should watch My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic. However you feel about the show does not affect whether or not other people should watch it. Many people, as you may know, heavily dislike this show and feel justified in loudly declaring so. Not everyone appreciates/likes the things discussed in the show, nor does everyone like the characters. You say the characters are dynamic? Is it not true that throughout the entire show, all of the main characters remain mostly the same, and that their friendship dynamic also never changes? (unless you count trusting each other MORE than before as development; all in all, I don't actually see a difference as their actions in any given episode would be the same regardless of positioning after the pilot) This minuscule/non-existent character development does not persuade me to the "dynamic qualities" the characters have.

You also state how the show is "fun to watch". This does not mean others do, or that they should watch the show. Programs like this appeal to specific groups; groups which are minorities in the population. It does not make any sense to force people outside of the shows demographic to watch it. There would be no point, and they would not gain anything from it.
You talk about watching episode after episode, but habits such as this can be very bad for people with addictive personalities. If people were forced to watch the show in this fashion, consequences could be more dire than any of us could tell.

Now on to your second point / question: What does everyone else think?

2. Just so you know, I myself am what would be considered a "Brony". I fit the young adult male demographic, and heavily enjoy watching the show myself. While I can agree that it has good lessons in it and that it is enjoyable to me, I do not think that My Little Pony is a show for everyone. Take for example tween males. Coming out of early childhood, they distance themselves for the most part from anything considered "childish"; they want to appear grown-up. This behavior is also characteristic to many "level-headed" adults. A show like this would be lost on people such as these. They would push it away, considering it "immature", and end up upset and angry for being forced into such a "stupid" activity.

On the flip side, we have the aforementioned lessons taught to us by My Little Pony. In my case, watching the show has made me realize that even if someone is different from you, you should still accept them and try to understand them rather than avoid or antagonize them for it. This lesson is one I think many people today need to learn. In this respect, I think that My Little Pony would be a very good show for some people to watch.
The problem is, if people don't WANT to listen, no amount of force can make them.

This idea is very well summarized in a quote by the author C.S. Lewis -
"Now the trouble with trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed." - The Magician's Nephew

In the same way that people often succeed in making themselves stupider, they also very often close their minds to new ideas and instead prefer to attack and hate things that are different.
What do you think about all of this?

Excited to hear from you in the second round!
Good luck!
Moonrunner

Pro

the title is a wee bit off, i admit, but the characters are great, because they are so dynamic. Pinky Pie is ALWAYS making me laugh, and Rainbow Dash is awesome! also, with all of the publicity that the show itself gets, there has got to be close to a million people who like the show. seriously, though, during the first few episodes, i wanted to punch out the tv screen... the storyline wwas so simple! but after the Hasbro people disxcovered that not just kids liked it, the storylineds really fleshed out. the characters became more defined, and the show itself became rather addicting.
also, one little bit of trivia about my profile that has nothing to do with this debate: my profile says that wrong gender. it says i am a guy, but i really am a girl. :( didn't notice the edits that i would have had to make, so my profile got messed up...
Galahad

Con

Regardless of the quality of the show, my little pony is not for everyone. Some people won't like it. Some people will make fun of it. I like the show, and see many good qualities in it. However, none of this means that people should watch the show. All in all, a lot of people just aren't ready to handle a show like my little pony, nor would they appreciate it. Therefore, people should not watch the show (unless they are part of the demographic who enjoys it already.)

Side note: I sent you a friend request, and attached to it some instructions on how to fix your gender on the account...
Sorry for the late/short post, Halloween was really busy for me!
Looking forward to the next round.
Moonrunner

Pro

Moonrunner forfeited this round.
Galahad

Con

Since My Opponent failed to give her next argument, I will wait for 1 round before continuing. If my opponent does not return, I will have to assume that they are forfeiting the match completely.
Moonrunner

Pro

Moonrunner forfeited this round.
Galahad

Con

So now I assume that my opponent has surrendered. Well, that is unfortunate - I was looking forward to this debate.
Moonrunner

Pro

Moonrunner forfeited this round.
Galahad

Con

Well, In conclusion, I believe that the evidence I gave in the beginning of the debate should prove that people don't have to watch My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic. While the show may have high points, it is up to the individual to choose what they watch, and not everybody would enjoy the show. Thanks for listening!
Posted by knightshade 3 years ago
knightshade
I'm tired of having to argue and deal with insanely opinionated people on either side. You can't like, dislike, love, or hate anything these days without someone jumping on you screaming "you're opinion is nothing! my opinions are facts and always have been! anyone who disagrees is [pathetic insult]". It's so common and annoying it makes me sick now.
Posted by Galahad 3 years ago
Galahad
really quite unfortunate that Moonrunner decided to quit the debate part-way through...
Vote Placed by Hierocles 3 years ago
Hierocles
MoonrunnerGalahadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Votes go to Con for finishing an inane debate.