Fudg3
DuBistEinenKartoffell

should religious symbols and phrases be banned in public areas

Fudg3

Con

I think that religious symbols are a form of respect for the holy book. And all sinners should be cast out for their blasphemy. On a more serious note its not a irregular occurrence for religious symbols to appear in public areas for example the Mojave cross.
DuBistEinenKartoffell

Pro

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right under the united states constitution but does that freedom extend to the right to not be forced to see and be exposed to symbols from other differing religions. In the U.S. Christianity is engraved into our culture, every president has been a christian, the currency which is an compulsory part of living in this country had in god we trust scribbled on every bill and coin, the pledge of allegiance which is required in many governments and schools has the words under god. Many people who belong to a different religion or belong to no religion at all may feel pressure or separation from mainstream society because of the religious symbols they do not believe in being showcased in some of the most basic things an individual is required to use on a daily basis. If you are a christian who believes that the currency and plead of allegiance should continue to bear the references to god, how would you feel if the money bore the words there is no god or in Allah we trust or the plead had the line one nation with no god?
Fudg3

Con

The thing I don't like about my province right now Yana, is that I can witness a rise of intolerance and xenophobia since the prime minister Pauline Marois proposed this new Charter of Qu"bec values. Many people here are afraid to see us fall under the Sharia rules, which is totally stupid. I mean, people are now bashing freely at muslim women (and not other religious people like Jews or Christians). There is a selective hatred that I truly despise. They want to keep religious symbols like a cross at the Parliament though. I mean, what wrong with nurses wearing scarves in the hospitals? I've never felt attacked by that. Religious symbols are an important thing for these people and they would feel naked to be without. It's only a political game here. They are too incompetent to deal about real stuff like employment and economy, so they try to stir some bad stuff saying we are being threatened by foreigners. In Qu"bec's history, we have been belittled for many years by the anglophones after France lost this land to England.
DuBistEinenKartoffell

Pro

If you as an individual do not agree with a ban of religious symbols because they "don't bother you" then you are to internalized you are more concerned with your own personnel opinion than the health of your community.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: TheOregonian// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Um.... He won.

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD. Does not explain any point allocations.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: didorus// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Con.

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD. Also, a vote bomb.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 1 year ago
Stonehe4rt
Though we need a Mod here to take away the other two votes, Didorus and Oregonian. They both did not give RFDs
Posted by Stonehe4rt 1 year ago
Stonehe4rt
Not really, I mean think about it this way. Does that your rights really go far enough to force others to see your Religion? So by this same logic I should NEVER have to see a SINGLE homosexual ANYWHERE in Public. Because it does bother me seeing them, its gross, especially Men who cross dress. Or how about every single advertisement that shows women explicitly? Many religions like Muslim and such do not approve of this and it may be offensive. So really Pro didn't really have any agruement.
Posted by jglass841 1 year ago
jglass841
Pro should be winning. He used better arguments.