Dr.TurkeyBaster
usawinseverytime

should rookie NHL players have to wear a face visor?

Started: 11/30/2015 Category: Sports

Dr.TurkeyBaster

Con

The NHL is now requiring all rookie players to wear visors once they enter the league. I disagree with this, because NHL players have never worn visors since the NHL has existed, why should they start now? Fighting is also an important part of the game, wearing visors would basically end fighting. This is another example of political correctness taking over.
usawinseverytime

Pro

Your first argument does not make any sense and should be discarded as nonsense. Goalies were not required to wear masks when the National Hockey League started. In fact, the last guy to not wear a mask was Andy Brown in 1974. Could I use your argument that because goalies didn't wear masks when the NHL started, goalies should not have to wear them now? Of course not. The same goes for all hockey equipment. Should football players be required to wear a face mask even though no players wore one when the league started? No to all.
Next you mentioned that forcing new players to wear a visor will be bad for fighting. You claim that fighting is a vital part of the game, which should be another debate all together. If you think fighting is more important than player safety, then I really have no idea what to tell you. Fighting is not a vital part of the game, just look at Eastern European leagues which prohibit it. Remember, hockey games are not determined by how many fights your team won, but by how many pucks you get in the net. Protecting players' faces will ensure that more pucks get in the net. It is important to not get sentimental about outdated traditions like fighting and focus instead on player safety.
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Con

Talking about goalies wearing masks is off topic. Fighting has and always should be apart of the NHL. Fighting is the reason why some people even watch hockey at all. If the players don't want to fight or get hurt, then they shouldn't play hockey. No matter what, there's no way no matter what you do to keep people from getting injured. Someone will always be getting injured no matter what. Fighting has been in existence in the NHL and is a very important part of the game. Political correctness will turn professional sports into hugging festivals. Do you think that players should have to hug each other and say sorry for hurting another player?
usawinseverytime

Pro

Talking about goalie masks is not off topic and you know this because you failed too explain why due to the fact that you have no response to your own claim. If you are wondering why talking about goalie masks is vital in understanding your main question, then I will direct you to my first argument where I explained it fairly briefly. I assume your lack of response to my first argument demonstrates that you have no counter argument.
Next, on the topic of fighting. Talk about getting off topic.... If fighting is the reason why you tune into a hockey game, then you should not be watching hockey. That's all I am going to say about that because it lacks any relevance to the question at hand. I agree with you on the fact that there's no way to keep people from getting injured. Hockey is a physical sport and like all other physical sports, players will get injured. However, unlike an injury to the shoulder from a body hit, or a broken leg from a blocking a slap shot, facial injuries are not a natural product of the sport. Getting a slap shot to the leg or taking a hard hit against the boards is a part of hockey and there is no way to prevent such things nor should anyone ever try to prevent such things. But taking a high stick to the eye, or a deflected puck to the nose, are not injuries natural to the sport. Moreover, these injuries are preventable, not in all cases but it will certainly help. Protecting against these injuries will in no way affect the fluidity of the sport, whereas protecting against hard hits will. By fluidity I mean the way the sport is supposed to be played- hard hits, fast pace, beautiful passes, sweet goals, and nasty cellies.
Next, political correctness has nothing to do with preventing players from certain injuries. I also do not think players will start hugging each other if they are forced to wear a mask.
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Con

You're the one who said that player safety is incredibly important, so should they ban hitting each other? taking the puck from each other? We're talking about why rookies shouldn't wear visors, not about goalie masks or about other injuries. I suggest you return to the topic. Visors are unnecessary, the NHL doesn't need them. If we have to have visors, what's next? bubble wrap? hugging and apologizing for hitting each other?
You're dodging the question, which is "should rookie NHLers wear visors?"
You keep talking about goalie masks, which is irrelivant to this discussion. Visors are unnecessary, and are going to take the fun out of fighting and other parts of the game.
usawinseverytime

Pro

I don't know if lack basic comprehension skills, but I cover everything in my other comments. Let me show you. This is what you said: "You're the one who said that player safety is incredibly important, so should they ban hitting each other?" I covered this in the second round. This is what I said: "Hockey is a physical sport and like all other physical sports, players will get injured. However, unlike an injury to the shoulder from a body hit, or a broken leg from a blocking a slap shot, facial injuries are not a natural product of the sport. Getting a slap shot to the leg or taking a hard hit against the boards is a part of hockey and there is no way to prevent such things nor should anyone ever try to prevent such things. But taking a high stick to the eye, or a deflected puck to the nose, are not injuries natural to the sport. Moreover, these injuries are preventable, not in all cases but it will certainly help. Protecting against these injuries will in no way affect the fluidity of the sport, whereas protecting against hard hits will. By fluidity I mean the way the sport is supposed to be played- hard hits, fast pace, beautiful passes, sweet goals, and nasty cellies." I clearly stated that injuries to the face are not natural to the sport like body checks are. I never said hitting should be illegal. Banning hard hits would change the fluidity of the sport and change the sport drastically. However, making sure less broken noses or eye injuries occur would not influence the basic aspect of the sport.
Now i will explain why talking about goalie masks is vital to understanding the basic argument for visors; however, this time I will use words that are easier for your brain. Goalie play hockey. Goalie did not wear mask when hockey started. Goalie wear mask because goalie doesn't want to break his face. Did making goalie wear mask change the game in a bad way? No. Goalie can also get in fight even though they wear mask. But that irrelevant. Fighting irrelevant to topic. Please no mention fighting again when arguing about visors. If visor unnecessary, why do some players wear them. The NHL doesn't need visors? That dumbest thing I ever heard. Why don't you ask Johnny Boychuk if his visor is unnecessary? Or other countless players who took puck to face because he didn't have simple piece of plastic to protect him.
Making hockey players wear a visor to protect his face will not lead to forcing them to wear bubble wrap, nor will anyone apologize hitting each other. Nor am i dodging the question, because i answered the question, and then proceeded to rip your argument to shreds and now you are left with 0 dignity. Please do not tell me to not dodge the question, and then proceed to talk about the fun in fighting. You are embarrassing yourself. Why don't you ask all of the other hockey leagues that ban fighting if hockey is a fun sport. Or why don't you ask the NHL players who are not known for their fighting if they have fun playing hockey? Does Tyler Seguin hate hockey because he doesn't fight anyone? Is he just pissed off every single game because he wears a visor and doesn't get to punch someone in the face? No to all. No to you. No to everything you have said in all the rounds. No. I hope this debate helped you understand why players should have to protect their face against weapons like sticks and pucks. At least I hope you learned basic argument skills or how to read. God bless, kid.