flint149
Atheism_Debater

should school be shorter

Atheism_Debater

flint149

Pro

everybody likes some part of school, yet how far does that go when you learn very little in a day and you have no incentives to get any of your work or studying done? we are in school for 7 hours at least and we don't have any breaks beyond elementary so why is he school day so long when we have so much to do? everybody has a life away from education. teachers have families and students have sports and clubs, yet we have hours worth of homework and most students have to pull all-nighters to finish their work on time. so why not shorten the school day and give the students and teachers more time for their social lives and more time they can spend more time to bond with their families. in result there would be less teen addicts and a decrease in just about every teen problem.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Introduction:

First of all, I would like to thank flint149 for creating the interesting topic to debate. No debate structure was presented, so I will go on my own accord.

Rebuttal:

“everybody likes some part of school, yet how far does that go when you learn very little in a day and you have no incentives to get any of your work or studying done?”

Learn very little in a day? When I go to school I learn how to do very important things to help me with my life in multiple different categories. Maybe you learn very little in a day, but that is your own personal opinion not fact.

There are many incentives to working and studying. When I study for a test, my incentive is getting a good grade on that test which increases my grade. Also when I study and get work done, I learn, which is the greatest incentive that one can ever get.

“we are in school for 7 hours at least…”

I’m in school for six hours.

“we don't have any breaks beyond elementary…”

While it is true that we usually don’t have any recess, we usually have a lunch break.

“why is he school day so long when we have so much to do?’

Most likely because we have so much to do so we need more time to do it.

“teachers have families and students have sports and clubs”

There are many teachers that aren’t married and don’t have children, and there are many students that don’t have sports and clubs.

“yet we have hours worth of homework”

I don’t think I have ever had more than an hour of homework. It is school policy at my school, that if we spend more than an hour on homework that we do not have to finish it.

“most students have to pull all-nighters to finish their work on time”

I’ve never pulled an “all-nighter” and neither has any of friends or most likely anyone else I know.

“in result there would be less teen addicts and a decrease in just about every teen problem.”

Please cite some kind of poll or statistics done to justify these claims.

Arguments:

“Students in the United States performed near the middle of the pack. On average 16 other industrialized countries scored above the United States in science, and 23 scored above us in math.”

http://www.greatschools.org...

“According to the latest Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) survey, American students scored in the middle range on the reading, math and science tests taken last year by 500,000 15-year-olds around the globe… The United States fared slightly below average compared to other participating countries.”

http://www.debate.org...

Since the US is performing poorly compared to other countries, we should spend more time teaching our children. Therefore, together, we can make the US the best it can be.

flint149

Pro

flint149 forfeited this round.
Atheism_Debater

Con

extend arguments
flint149

Pro

flint149 forfeited this round.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by HaileyL 1 year ago
HaileyL
This debate is too vague, shorten the school day by how long.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
flint149Atheism_DebaterTied