GSVGF3
TeaPartyAtheist

should school start before labor day?

TeaPartyAtheist

GSVGF3

Pro

School should begin before Labor Day for many reasons. First it takes a while to get kids ready, also one must plan for bad weather days off. Thanks
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

I will go into much more detail later about my reasons as to why schools are not better off starting after labor day in more detail later, but I will outline my points here:

1. There is an economic benefit to businesses to having school not start until after the traditional summer season is over.

2. People should be able to enjoy Labor Day weekend with as little stress as possible.

3. Some city schools do not have air conditioning, making it better to wait until September to start.

4. Students will learn better when they are not thinking about the fact that they could be at a beach.

Also, I want to point out that the burden of proof is on Pro to point out why school should start before Labor Day. I simply have to prove that it is not better to have an earlier start.
GSVGF3

Pro

GSVGF3 forfeited this round.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

I will now go into my first contention as to why school is not better off starting before Labor Day.

Throughout the country, there are towns that primarily serve as vacation cities for the summer. Many of these towns are located near a beach, lake, or other body of water. As Labor Day is traditionally viewed as the end of the summer season for vacation purposes, fewer people would travel to beaches after Labor Day. However, if schools were to start before Labor Day, fewer families would travel during Labor Day weekend. You may wonder why, as there would still be a three-day weekend. It is due to the fact that many extra-curricular activities that meet during the weekend, such as sports teams tend to start at the same time schools do. Therefore, there would be substantially fewer families travelling over Labor Day weekend. In most years, there are only 15 weekends between and including Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend. To lose a substantial portion of potential customers on 1/15 of those weekends would create a toll on businesses that rely on summer vacations to make money. Furthermore, not all weekends are equal. Labor Day is traditionally one of the three special holiday weekends, along with the Fourth of July and Memorial Day, in which more people tend to travel. It will also hurt those local businesses even more, as people would decide, as it is their final weekend at the beach, lake, or other vacation place, to make it a special final weekend and spend more money. Therefore, having schools start before Labor Day would harm local businesses.
GSVGF3

Pro

GSVGF3 forfeited this round.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

In case my opponent does return, I will give him a chance to refute my previous argument before continuing. Should he not, I will then go quickly into each of my other arguments before not adding anything in the final round.
GSVGF3

Pro

GSVGF3 forfeited this round.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

Allow me to quickly explain my other three points and refute my opponent's opening point.

Labor Day Weekend is traditionally viewed as one of the primary holiday weekends of the summer. Many families go away that weekend, and it is even relatively common for professionals to take off. Especially considering that many schools are still going (and even in final exams) at Memorial Day, it is not fair to take away one of the prime weekends for family holidays.

I live near Philadelphia and go to an elite private school, but I know that many city public schools lack air conditioning. In August, the heat and humidity is very high across much of the country, with the average August high in the mid-80's where I live with 90 degree or higher highs quite common. In an non-air conditioned building, it can actually be hotter than it is outside, creating an unsafe environment. However, in September, the heat and, especially, the humidity begins to subside. By the middle of the month, the average high dips below 80 degrees (in Philadelphia), and a drier, more stable air mass results in much lower humidity. Therefore, it is safer (not to mention more comfortable) to start school in September.

If it is still the traditional summer season, and many people are on the beach on vacation, it will create an unnecessary distraction for students at the start of the school year. When there is an appealing alternative, it is only natural to get distracted. Distraction is not the best way to start a new school year.

REBUTTAL:
also one must plan for bad weather days
It is perfectly feasible to get the required number of school days (even with a few contingency days) starting after Labor Day. The only thing is that the school year will have to go into early-to-mid June. Private schools, which do not require 180 school days, are able to keep their school years largely out of the traditional summer season (mine sometimes goes just past Memorial Day). However, public schools have to go into the summer. Is it clearly better to start later and end later? No. However, is the reverse true? No. Since my opponent had the burden of proof, and I have proven that it is not better to start before Labor Day, please vote Con.

Also, unless my opponent argues in Round 5, I will allow this debate to end with no further arguments.
GSVGF3

Pro

GSVGF3 forfeited this round.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

TeaPartyAtheist forfeited this round.
Posted by TeaPartyAtheist 3 years ago
TeaPartyAtheist
Sorry. I just went to post, and while I was posting, it expired. I am used to having 3 days as the time limit, so I should have been more careful to check. If you restart the debate, I have my argument on copy/paste.
Posted by GSVGF3 3 years ago
GSVGF3
Thanks for accepting.. .round 1is for argument as well.
Posted by TeaPartyAtheist 3 years ago
TeaPartyAtheist
I accept this challenge. Is the first round for arguments or acceptance?

By the way, mine starts next week (after Labor Day).
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Mine started this week...
Vote Placed by Cowboy0108 3 years ago
Cowboy0108
GSVGF3TeaPartyAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had better conduct since he participated, he had better spelling since he actually had spelling, he had more convincing arguments since he actually had arguments, and he used experience as a source which is more than pro provided.
Vote Placed by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
GSVGF3TeaPartyAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF unacceptable.