Cheyanne1114
bman7720

should schools have GSA

Cheyanne1114

Pro

I think that schools should have GSA because it helps support the schools students that are gay. it helps teach students more about being gay and its not like your forced to join either. if you want to join then welcome and if not that's cool too. its not fair for the gay students to get picked on and bullied for being gay. its not their fault that their attracted to the same sex or both sexes.
bman7720

Con

I accept my opponent's challenge, and seeing as there are no rules for structure will begin my argument.

My opponent claims it is a responsibility of the school to provide a GSA for LGBTPQAS+ students, with the biggest support being bullying against said students. I would like to point out that joining a GSA would put a metaphorical target on a student's back for bullying. It confirms their sexuality and/or support of gay rights. If said student is already being bullied for these reasons, confirming them in a public club would provide no aid.

I would like to address that it is also not the obligation of the school to provide religious, racial, or sexuality orientated groups or clubs. A public school is to remain unaligned as an organization to any political, racial, or religious group. If students truly desire a GSA, it is their responsibility to find a specific teacher who supports these values and to start the organization on their own. An issue that I find in my own school is the group Fellowship of Christian Athletes. This club is highly endorsed by teachers and administrators, thus providing a biased opinion on religious standing of the school.
Cheyanne1114

Pro

being in GSA doesn't tell people that your gay. GSA is the gay straight alliance there fore you don't have to be gay to join. I'm straight and I'm in my schools GSA. I agree that they do need a teacher to advise the club/group but schools shouldn't deny students the right to support something they believe in. GSA also helps to provide more information on being gay. I feel like the students in schools that do have GSA are more understanding on why some people are gay and that helps them to support it more.
bman7720

Con

My opponent failed to note my statement "and/or support of gay rights." I made no claim that someone had to be of the LGBT spectrum to be in a GSA. The matter of education is an unsupported statement, for many GSA clubs are a haven, rather than a class. Students who join a GSA are generally already educated on sexuality and its complexities.

Also, referring to my opponent's point about more students being understanding of sexuality, a GSA in a school would not affect the entire student body. These clubs tend to me of a smaller member number. The primary purpose of a GSA at a school is to unite members of that community and its supporters. Such activities in many GSA's include guest speakers, club activities, and book clubs or movie nights.

Again, none of these fall under an obligation of the school itself. Schools are, in fact, not obligated to provide any form of after-school clubs and organizations. Rather, if a number of students decide that they desire a club, and can find a teacher sponsor, then the school is allowed to decide upon if the club will be created or vetoed.
Cheyanne1114

Pro

Schools don't have to provide the club but if they do allow the club the school is responsible for the club and what happens in the club.
bman7720

Con

Referring to my opponent's point on the school's responsibility, since the said club is an after or before school function, the club is based on a more loose standard of conduct. The opinions expressed by members of a club are not necessarily those of the organization the club is under. However, my opponent has strayed from the original debate topic, "Should schools have GSA?" The school itself has no obligation, as implied by "should", to provide clubs for any students. Any school clubs and organizations are formed by students and teachers, separate from the school itself.
Cheyanne1114

Pro

Yeah it's up to the students to form the club and to find a teacher to watch after them But some schools don't allow students to have a GSA. I think students should be able to have a GSA so they maybe have people that they are comfortable telling things to because they know that the people in the club will support them.
bman7720

Con

My opponent again has strayed from the topic. This is not a matter of schools allowing them, it is a matter of is schools should have them. However, if a school were to deny a student the club, many cities have PFLAG groups and various other ways to form the same group outside of school. As I have stated many times, it is not the schools obligation to allow and provide clubs.
Cheyanne1114

Pro

I just think that schools should allow GSA
bman7720

Con

My opponent's argument is not consistent with the topic of the debate.