moairr
dlu2012

should skate boarding be banned?

Started: 11/20/2012 Category: Sports

moairr

Con

the question has come around that skate boarding should be banned, im here to show you some reasons why skate boarding shouldnt be banned.

reason 1 - happiness. think of trying to do somehting over and over again trying to get it down. When you finally do get that thing you were trying for, you become happy. it is the same thing while skate boarding. After hours on end of pain and anger you finally land it and feel amazing
reason two - banning. even if you do ban skateboarding do you really believe that everyone would stop? their would be an underground. also people would have to make their own skate boards and ramps making it even more dangerous.
dlu2012

Pro

Hi I accept your debate. I think that skateboarding should be banned

Rebutting Your Arguments
1) Your reason of skateboarding bringing happiness because once you land a trick it gives you a sense of satisfaction is invalid. Going by what your argument says I can also say that getting an A on a subject you are not so good on can bring you satisfaction. You can get satisfaction and happiness without having to skateboard.

2) Your second argument was about banning. You argued "even if you do ban skateboarding do you really believe that everyone would stop?". Well if this is posed as a question, yes I do believe that it will stop the majority from skateboarding Of coarse you can't stop anything 100%, asking for that would be absurd. Also if people make their own ramps it would be really obvious, and just say that one of this so called "illegal skateboarder's" neighbors saw. If they are a law abiding citizen then they will alert the police and the "illegal skateboarder" will be arrested.

3) For this I would just like to point out spelling/grammar errors. First you use no capital letters in the beginning of a sentence and "their" should be "there".

Developing my points
1) Skateboarding is one of the most dangerous sports that anyone can do. It is so easy to walk into a store and buy a skateboard. It is just as easy to go to a skate park and severely injure yourself. Chances are, you make mistakes (my partner said this), most likely the "mistake" is screwing up a trick and falling. When you fall from a great height doing a trick you can hurt yourself very bad.

2) Injuries can cause mental and physical disability. When you fall you can break bones, and sometimes if you land on your head, it means either instant death or paralysis.

3) If skateboarding is taken away it is not the end of the world. People will adapt and take up new sports such as biking.

4) Maintaining skate parks cost the city a lot of money. There are even some skate parks abandoned.
moairr

Con

1. yea sorry my spelling and grammar isn't to well.
2. you said that skate boarding is dangers and that's why we should ban it. Well if your going to us this point then why don't we just ban riding a bike? you can get hurt and people get killed off of this stuff. I mean you can break a bone
3. falling from a great height. Should we also ban parkour? jumping over these massive building can kill you? You can do this just as easy(if not cheaper) then skateboarding. Because of this I believe its not a valid point
4. do you have any evidence on skate parks costing a lot of money? The skate parks that I have seen iv had to pay to get into, or you buy a pass for that city. So its not like us skaters aren't putting money into the parks and helping out with the payment of the place
new :
1. think about all the business that make a living off of skateboards. All the jobs that go into this. Be banning skateboarding we could cost so many people jobs.
dlu2012

Pro

1) Ok, once again in your argument you have many spelling and grammar issues, i'm not going to point them out however. They thing is, you know you have these issues but you still go and make them. But i'm not going to bash you on this, I just want to point it out.

2) Your argument about riding a bike being dangerous cannot be used. First of all we are talking about skateboarding not biking. You cannot just bring up another point to debate. But on to answering your question. Biking is much much less dangerous than riding a skateboard. A skateboard is more hard to control than a bike and much more easier to fall on. You also argue that people get killed on bikes. This argument is faulty and should be disregarded. First of all, he has no statistic saying that people get killed on bikes, for all we know he could have just made all of that up.

3) As for parkour, I agree with you that people can get hurt. But this point is very irrelevant to the point we are debating. There is a risk to everything, riding a car or airplane...everything. If you bring up this point it is unfair because I cannot debate on that. Voters, please disregard this point.

4) Sure you put money in skate parks but do you know how they spend it, could they be wasting the money. You have no basis saying the money is going toward the actual park.

5) You made the point: " think about all the business that make a living off of skateboards. All the jobs that go into this. Be banning skateboarding we could cost so many people jobs". There are not many jobs of skateboarding. If we take away skateboarding it;s not like they can't find another job. This point that you made is also irrelevant and has no research supporting it.

6) Once again skate boarding is a very dangerous sport. It is MUCH more dangerous than biking.

7) Skate parks cost a lot of money to maintain. (I proved my partners rebuttal on this invalid so this point still stands until he can prove me wrong.)
moairr

Con

moairr forfeited this round.
dlu2012

Pro

My opponent forfeited this round

Vote Pro
moairr

Con

Contention 3: Abridgment of civil liberties

This ban would go against everything this country stands for. Our civil liberties are very important, and such a careless abridgment would be incomprehensible. If we aren't allowed to have a piece of wood with four wheels on it, what other rights do we stand to lose?

Contention 4: Skateboarding is a generally positive activity, with only a marginal chance for being abused.

There would have to be a MAJOR reason to ban an activity like this. The chance to scrape your knee is not a major reason. The chance to vandalize property is not a major reason. If these were major reasons, then there would be an incomprehensibly huge list of items that would need to be banned, including everything from hammers, knives and bicycles, to spray paint cans, toilet paper (in Wisconsin the high school kids have this thing where they "TP" peoples houses; they throw rolls of toilet paper up into the trees in front of your house and it is almost impossible to get it all down without a mess, especially if it gets wet) and anything that can be used as a projectile and cause damage. Guns are not banned, yet they are FAR more dangerous than skateboards, and offer much less of a general way to be used recreationally.

Contention 5: Injustice to skateboard manufacturers and distributors.

There is an entire industry set up around skateboarding. This industry includes local manufacturers who deal exclusively with skateboard production, some of which have only tiny skateboard shops. The businesses involved would be crippled and forced out of business overnight if your law went through. We have a local shop here in Green Bay called "Surfin Bird" that makes most of its profits off of skateboard sales. I would wonder what the employees there would have to say about your proposition. Countless retail stores also sell skateboards, and would also be adversely affected.

Contention 6: Injustice to professional and amateur enthusiasts.

There are lots of people who consider skateboarding a major hobby of theirs. Responsible adults who are well informed of the risks of using a board and have accepted them a long time ago (in fact the risk is almost surely part of the fun). I would like you to consider what a conversation with one of these people might be like for you, as you contemplate your ban. Would you be able to look the skateboarder in the eye when you told him or her about your idea? Would you even have the gaul to approach them?

Contention 7: Injustice to the diversity of the country.

Our country is a melting pot of different cultures, ideas, activities, etc. We are such a great country, for the most part, because of the liberties we enjoy as citizens and the diversity of the activities we engage in. The mosaic which is America would lose one of its facets if your ban was a reality, and it would be a very sad day in the history of the country.

Contention 8: Enforcement would be a disaster.

How would you enforce this ban? Would you have officers on the street arresting skateboarders? Would you have the officers giving tickets to parents who are walking beside their children on skateboards? If an officer finds a skateboard in someone's car while searching it, would they be subject to confiscation and a fine? Would this be a federal ban that bans skateboards across the country, or are we going to just keep it legal in Nevada like prostitution and make them travel there to do it? Are you proposing to set up skateboarding rehabilitation centers to help people who can't kick the habit? Will they get unemployment benefits if they can show they are addicted and can't perform their basic job functions?

Contention 9: More danger would come from banning skateboarding then letting it stay legal.

People who wish to dodge the ban (I doubt you would even try to argue that there wouldn't be untold thousands of individuals that would) would have to rely on home-made skateboards which are much more unsafe then professionally made ones. This would increase injuries.

Contention 10: A skateboard underground would form after this ban was passed.

People who already skateboard would most likely not stop after this ban. They would be forced into hiding, much as modern recreational drug users are now. They would continue to skate despite the ban, and risk their freedoms as human beings if they are caught. We are talking about their most basic freedoms here, my friend. The freedom not to be put in a cage like an animal, for one. Many of them would probably not ever stop, even after being caught several times, and end up in jail. People who otherwise would never know what the inside of a cell looks like would be rotting inside a steel prison if you have your way. It costs roughly $22,000 a year (Bureau of Justice Statistics) to house criminals in jails, and this would add to the already overpopulated situation we have today with detention centers.
dlu2012

Pro

1) I SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY WIN THIS DEBATE BECAUSE MY OPPONENT COPIED HIS WHOLE ENTIRE ROUND 4 SPEECH from the 2009 debate between Ruperttheg and Rob1billion. You can see for yourself here: [http://www.debate.org...]

2) Not only is this act unfair toward me, but it is unfair to voters and to my partners himself. Copying someones speech to pass for your own is simply unmoral and is "cheating" when you have other peoples trust.

3) That aside, I will still rebut the points you COPIED.

4) ABRIDGMENT OF CIVIL LIBERTIES: First banning skateboarding would not disrupt any civil liberties. Like I said in my previous arguments, people will adapt and take on new activities such as biking. Also your argument about "If we aren't allowed to have a piece of wood with four wheels on it, what other rights do we stand to lose?" should be invalid because it puts it in such a way that is deceiving. When you ban skateboarding, no, you are not just banning a piece of wood. It is what people do with that piece of wood with 4 wheels that is important.

5) COMBINING YOUR "INJUSTICE" ARGUMENTS: Once again it is not injustice to ban skateboarding because skateboard makers can make something else, therefore not affecting them and skateboarders can take up a new sport therefore not affecting them either. It will not affect our nation because it is not like we are taking away freedom by banning skateboards.

6) ENFORCEMENT IS A DISASTER: No it would not, once again you (or should I say Rob1billion) is going to extreme. No one is addicted to skateboarding. If they miss the rush take up something else that can give you that rush. Next, answering your question, yes there will be officers. There are many officers patrolling the neighborhoods, it'll just make one more thing for them to look out for so it will not cause a big change.

7) I don't know how you did it but somehow your word limit is like 7000 and my word limit is 2000. Please stop cheating, please.
moairr

Con

once again i have said i forfit this debate to you! i used this debate to get the opposing side of this for my speach! i already said you win! idc anymore
dlu2012

Pro

Ok then, i win.

I thank my partner for this debate
Posted by No-this-is-patrick 4 years ago
No-this-is-patrick
WOW silly excuse for a "Debate" makes me laugh.
Posted by moairr 4 years ago
moairr
ya sorry
Posted by dlu2012 4 years ago
dlu2012
What do u mean i wold not take the win. I said your forfeit so i win. Also just because u r annoyed, it is not a reason for you to cheat. Im kinda annoyed at your cheating attempt but as long as you do not do it again im fine
Posted by moairr 4 years ago
moairr
i dont cheat every i swear. i just got really anoyyed im sorry! please forgive me, i gave up you win! dont vote for me i cheated
Posted by moairr 4 years ago
moairr
i posted taht becasue you wouldnt just take the win! i used this to help me!
Posted by moairr 4 years ago
moairr
i already told you i was done
Posted by dlu2012 4 years ago
dlu2012
This debate is over. I mean, I don't even feel like debating with my partner anymore. Right now i'm just disgusted at the attempt Con made at plagiarizing a whole article. I mean it was so obvious. He started the debate with bad grammar and a lot of spelling errors, not to mention he had really short arguments. Then all of a sudden he blasts a 7000 word speech at me with little to none spelling/grammar mistakes. Of coarse I would be suspicious. So I just highlighted some of his speech and what do you know he copied his whole entire speech from another freaking debate that happened in 2009.
Posted by dlu2012 4 years ago
dlu2012
The debate is not over until it is really over but moarirr definitely did not argue all of the points he could have brought up.
Posted by infalliblemind 4 years ago
infalliblemind
This is a painfully easy debate for con, how could you lose this?
Posted by moairr 4 years ago
moairr
alright you proved my points wrong. ill give it to you! but I will be back!