masterbaiter77
Tommy.leadbetter

should smoking be banned in public places

Tommy.leadbetter

masterbaiter77

Pro

smoking of course should be banned in public places not only can it hurt the smoker but of course its gonna hurt small children all around and if you think thats not true your a sucker
Tommy.leadbetter

Con

One of the only studies done on second hand smoking whilst outdoors was done at Stanford University. This is one of the top universities in the world. (1). Although they concluded that being two feet away, downwind of a smoker, exposes you to chemicals: they said that being six feet away exposes you to virtually no chemicals. Quote "no real risk'". So when most people do stand six feet away from each other, or at least are capable of getting six feet away, its not a serious issue. I mean, one serious enough to have basic freedoms taken away. I not saying free it everywhere, I mean not public places just for being public places. Yes, certain ones-bus shelters, playgrounds, places with children, densely packed small spaces, hospitals etc. but not parks and streets, town centres and the whole rail station and all that.

I know it's not nice if a smoker is close by, but how often are you trapped next to one with your kid inhaling all the smoke and unable to breath? This is health and safety gone to far. To the point where the basic right to not be hassled for doing such a none provocative thing, such as smoking a leaf, is lost in the name of health and safety. And yet they don't give a dam about health when it comes to coke, McDonald's, bad diets and alcohol.

Smoking is a bad habit, and if you happen to be stuck, closer than six foot (for anyone who doesn't know-the length of an average guy) away from someone who is smoking, and your directly downwind, and you can't move, its microscopically bad for you. Probably not half as bad as the glass of coke you may or may not have had however. So I know it's not ideal, but give smokers a break. To ban them from smoking in wide open park, not near the playground, should be a breach on human rights. It's serious. Banning smoking from establishments and public houses is one thing. Banning it from all public places aka. Everywhere . Is like saying "this whole land belongs to the gov't and you are banned from doing thing we disapprove of, even if they don't directly effect anyone else. It would be like trying to smoke in school, in the whole country! It's absolutely wrong. People need to be great like adults, even if they are not, for treating them like children will only bring out their inner child anyway.

Personally I wouldn't smoke a cigarette when a person was close to me, I would move away. But that's me, polite people such as myself shouldn't be punished because of a few rude people that would otherwise find other ways to be rude.

Thank you
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
masterbaiter77Tommy.leadbetterTied
Reasons for voting decision: In a one round debate Pro could have done way better than a single run on sentence with no punctuation.
Vote Placed by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
masterbaiter77Tommy.leadbetterTied
Reasons for voting decision: NOT A DEBATE! only one with an argument is con (points). Must be more then one round for any points from me! I dont agree with con. Pro could have used arguments like ?ts bad that impressionable children see adults smoking` or `cigarette smokers cause a lot of litter that is toxic to the environment`but did not :(
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
masterbaiter77Tommy.leadbetterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gave several reasons for why it shouldn't be banned and that his argument was much more thorough than Pros.