itz_baby_girl
DNehlsen

should social media comments be protected by freedom of speech?

itz_baby_girl has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/11/2017 Category: Economics
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

itz_baby_girl

Con

Teens and even some adults are committing suicide because they are victims of hate speech. Hate speech should not be protected because it infringes on others" ability to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. (like the constitution states) Every other nation has a law limiting hate speech, it"s time America steps up and does the right thing. The common sense of right and wrong speaks for itself no matter the majority stance, that does not mean your right. Hate speech harms by spreading negative, disgusting stereotypes like we"ve seen since the attacks on 9/11 and with the Boston bombings. So why should someone be able to spread mean words about people and as an end result have someone"s life taken away since you said some mean words and you didn"t "mean them" Also, we need to protect kids, not make them vulnerable to this. Bullying someone literally to death is like killing them with your bare hands. So many people are blind to the hate speech. Most people have tunnel vision. Which means they only see what"s in front of them. A lot of people don"t realise how bad hate speech is until they are the victims. Teens tend to hide how they feel or if they are getting bullied or not so people never know what"s real and what"s fake anymore. Someone could look all happy and stuff but on the inside be screaming out for help because of the hate speech. Try putting yourself in someone else"s shoes and see how it feels to get bullied to the point of where they cry themselves to sleep every night. Words kill. Words give life; they"re either poison or fruit. you choose.
DNehlsen

Pro

I'll gladly accept this debate, and look forward to a productive conversation.
Alright, to open I'll make a few rufutations.

"Hate speech should not be protected because it infringes on others" ability to pursue life, liberty, and happiness."
This simply is untrue. An example of something that infringes others' ability to pursue life, liberty, and happiness would be me stabbing you in the stomach. 'Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.' Name calling is simply incapable of causing you bodily harm. You can ignore words, and you can ignore people - You can get over it and move on.

"Every other nation has a law limiting hate speech, it"s time America steps up and does the right thing."
This is a bandwagon fallacy. The actions of others by no means indicates right and wrong. In fact, it is often the other way around. To quote Mark Twain "if you ever find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect."

"Hate speech harms by spreading negative, disgusting stereotypes like we"ve seen since the attacks on 9/11 and with the Boston bombings."
I fail to see how 9/11 and the Boston bombings are relavent to the conversation.

"So why should someone be able to spread mean words about people and as an end result have someone"s life taken away since you said some mean words and you didn"t "mean them""
Alright, so by this logic we should outlaw cars because they, as an end result, kill 1.3 million people a year, because people were driving those cars and they didn't "mean to hit those people." (1)

"Teens tend to hide how they feel or if they are getting bullied or not so people never know what"s real and what"s fake anymore. Someone could look all happy and stuff but on the inside be screaming out for help because of the hate speech"
To me, this sounds like we need to get these kids help, and to make them aware of how important it is to speak up about bullying. Outlawing bad words won't solve bullying.

"Try putting yourself in someone else"s shoes and see how it feels to get bullied to the point of where they cry themselves to sleep every night."
I don't need to try to put myself in anyone else's shoes because I've been there. I've been to the point where social pressure made me cry myself to sleep for weeks on end. I didn't cry myself to sleep because of the mean things people said, I cried myself to sleep because of the mean people, people were. Censoring words doesn't change people, it doesn't stop bullying. Those thoughts are still there, and those bullies still don't like you. I'd much rather have them voice those opinions then leave me guessing.

Now would be a good time for me to ask some questions.

1) What constitutes as 'hate speech?' Is anything I'm offended by hate speech? Some people are offended by clapping - should we outlaw that? Who gets to decide where these lines are drawn?

2) How is this any different from your thoughts on the music censorship topic? Words and music are exactly the same - if you don't like them just don't listen.

3) Isn't this a form of sheltering children - telling them what they can and can't do? Won't this set them up for weakness as they progress through life unprepared for what life really is?

(1) http://asirt.org...

Posted by Youdontknowjeff 1 year ago
Youdontknowjeff
What constitutes hate speech? If you define as speech that makes another feel bad you create a problem. My question to you could make you or someone feel bad. Then you'd or they would accuse me of a crime.