UsOSqUAd55
Hematite12

should sports be suspended from schools?

Hematite12
Started: 3/18/2014 Category: News

UsOSqUAd55

Con

Sports should be included at school because when kids play sports and have school they work even harder just to stay playing that sport. Plus they say that the antidote to stress is physical activity. Plus it give kids a chance of a lifetime to get scouted or drafted. If you have ever heard of Ray Lewis look him up on Google and read his quote about leaving a legacy. Yeah sure parents or adults say that kids have their whole life to do something they love well why stop something kids really love which is sports. Let the kids leave their legacy.
Hematite12

Pro

So, I assume our opening arguments are in Round 1?

Opening Argument:

As Pro, I will argue that sports should be suspended from schools. While there are benefits to including sports in schools, there are far more cons. I will argue specifically concerning extra-cirricular sports, since the Instigator did not clarify what specifically he was talking about, and so I will assume we are talking about extra-cirricular sports. If Instigator wants to speak concerning mandatory P.E. classes, we can speak about that, but I will assume that that is not the topic of discussion.

Are schools the only place where children can play sports? The answer is no. There are plenty of sports teams that operate independently of schools. While it may be more convenient to have sports take place at schools, it is certainly not a necessity to have them at schools if we want children to be able to do the athletics that they love. If you think that there is a lack of sports outside of schools, more non-school sports teams would be created to meet the demand. If our system were to change, this would change in response.

Therefore, we need to evaluate the pros and cons of having sports at schools. Saying that children should be able to play sports at a young age is not an acceptable argument, since they can play sports outside of school easily.

What is the purpose of school? Clearly, it is education. Or, at least, that is the primary purpose. If sports at all harm the primary purpose of schools, which is education, they should be remove from schools.

Do school sports hinder education? Having sports at schools makes children think that they are just as important as the core education of the school. Studies have shown that some college athletes have the reading ability of elementary school children [1] [2]. Why is this? Of course, correlation does not equal causation. But it is very likely that such children neglected their studies in favor of their mindless pursuit of excellence in sports.

At many high schools, the whole social spectrum is warped. While the most intelligent and industrious students at high schools should be the ones to be respected by their peers, often they are the ones who are picked on. Mindless idiots who play football, instead, are the ones who reach the top of the social totem. How do you think this affects students? If they want to be popular, they have to engage in sports, then, and cut back on their industriousness in their education. Athletics over academics. This defies the primary purpose of schools, education.

Furthermore, this trend of athletics over academics is illustrated by how many colleges spend their money. Many top public colleges spend 3-6 times as much on each athlete as they do to educate each student [3]. This is simply ridiculous and a clear example of athletics hindering education. Imagine how much better America's education system would be if schools didn't waste so much money on sports programs but rather on education. If we eliminate school sports altogether, these finances would be largely devoted to academic excellence rather than athletic excellence. Then, we might actually compete in our education compared to so many other countries [4]. One study ranked America 24th in math and problem solving skills across 30 countries, putting us on par with Portugal and the Slovak Republic, and we were beat by several 2nd world countries [5]. School sports and athletics over academics are not the only thing that make our education awful, but they are certainly a huge factor. Our priorities are massively warped.

Conclusion: School sports destroy the social structure at high schools and encourage excellence in games rather than in academics. School sports encourage schools and colleges to siphon money away from their academic programs into their athletic programs, ruining the quality of America's education. If children want to play sports, they can easily do so outside of school. For these reasons, I propose that extra-cirricular sports be removed from schools.

[1] http://www.amren.com...

[2] http://www.cnn.com...

[3] http://www.nytimes.com...

[4] http://www.ibtimes.com...

[5] http://www.neha.org...
UsOSqUAd55

Con

I see your point and I respect that. Even though sports can be expensive and time consuming, it is a really good idea to keep sports in schools. First,it's a good idea to keep sports because sports may teach us life skills that we might need later in life. Yes, family members and parents can teach us kids life skills.But, what about if parents don't teach us all the life skills we need. Some parents are crack heads,drug addicts,screwed up, etc..... and maybe you don't have a parent who or what will we look to. Sports.
Hematite12

Pro

Obviously you didn't read my argument. I neither said that sports were expensive OR time consuming. My arguments were entirely different.

First,it's a good idea to keep sports because sports may teach us life skills that we might need later in life. Yes, family members and parents can teach us kids life skills.But, what about if parents don't teach us all the life skills we need. Some parents are crack heads,drug addicts,screwed up, etc..... and maybe you don't have a parent who or what will we look to. Sports.

I'll just repeat what I have already said, since it directly addresses this:

Your argument still assumes that schools are the only place where children can play sports.

I extend my other arguments, which have yet to be addressed at all.
UsOSqUAd55

Con

UsOSqUAd55 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Pro

I extend all of my arguments.
UsOSqUAd55

Con

UsOSqUAd55 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Pro

I extend my arguments again.
UsOSqUAd55

Con

UsOSqUAd55 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Pro

Oh well. Arguments extended, I have had nothing else to reply to.
Vote Placed by Swagmasterpoopoo 2 years ago
Swagmasterpoopoo
UsOSqUAd55Hematite12Tied