coco68214
TheThinker1994

should students be able to use phones in class

coco68214

Pro

we are in an age of awesome technology we will need to know how to use this technology which we will use in our future jobs
TheThinker1994

Con

I have no problem with people using technology, what matters is the time and place that they use it in.

1. Schools have policies against cell phone use in class because it does distract students from school curriculum.

2. The phones should be kept on silent or vibrate when in class in order to be respectful to the instructor and other students.

3. The cell phones should be able to be used in the hallways in between classes, but not during the actual class time. It's the same thing with driving and texting, it can wait until the appropriate time.
coco68214

Pro

coco68214 forfeited this round.
TheThinker1994

Con

TheThinker1994 forfeited this round.
coco68214

Pro

coco68214 forfeited this round.
TheThinker1994

Con

TheThinker1994 forfeited this round.
Posted by kvhouten33 1 year ago
kvhouten33
I am a high school Physical Education teacher and I believe phones should be used in class at certain times. We allow students to use their phones as Ipods to listen to music as they're walking or running laps either inside or outside. I believe and students have told me that the music helps them move. The music gives them a rhythm to step or run to. Ipods/Beats/Headphones are used all the time during physical activities whether it be in parks, fitness centers, outdoor running. However, this running and walking time is the only situation we allow and would allow the students to use their phones. Any other situation, other than in a typical classroom setting for research, etc, we believe the phones should be kept away.
Posted by ldeavila 1 year ago
ldeavila
Being in the twenty first century we cannot deny that technology plays and important role in our daily life. We have to be in contact to people, perform academic research, know what is going on around us etc. The cell phone is a powerful device that we can use to do all this that a mention before but it can also be something that makes us lose track of the world around us.
Using the cellphone in the classroom would be ok as long as it is used for academic purposes but sometimes students want to use it in the classroom for different things that have nothing to do with the academy so its use should be exclusively for academic matters.
Posted by sholubowsky 1 year ago
sholubowsky
Students are sneaky with their phones. If I allow cell phones in class I'm not spending time telling them to put them away, but the down side is it takes their attention away from the important information
Posted by David92506 1 year ago
David92506
At the community college that I attended, the school got in trouble because they had a "no cell phone" policy during exams. Well, rumors have it that a woman sued the school because there was an emergency call and she wasn't able to answer it. In many of the classes, the teachers now allow students to use their cell phones only in case of emergencies. However, many teachers don't pay attention and students go on their cell phones for answers.

So I'm confused on my stance on this debate. On one hand, cellphones should be allowed for emergencies. But students abuse it.
Posted by supercanuck 1 year ago
supercanuck
Cell phones are a key part of learning.