alaina113
A341

should students be allowed to bring food and drinks into the classroom at any age level?

A341

alaina113

Pro

I think that food should be allowed in classrooms at any age level. What do you guys think on this topic?
A341

Con

I do not think that food and drink should be allowed in classrooms at any level, I look forward to your opening argument.
alaina113

Pro

Students should be allowed to bring food and drinks into the classroom because a healthy breakfast can improve a students performance in school. Some students don't have time in the morning for a full healthy breakfast. These students would have a disadvantage in school. Food can also improve memory, therefore students should be allowed to have food in the classroom.
A341

Con

Students should be allowed to bring food and drinks into the classroom because a healthy breakfast can improve a students performance in school."

A healthy breakfast only allows for better performance when it doesn't interrupt schooling. This should not effect schooling, maybe you could make an argument that there should be fifteen minutes set aside at the start of the day but this should not effect actual school time especially after the first period.

"Food can also improve memory"

Yes food can improve memory, food can also distract from the class.

Food and drink (drink to a lesser extent) can distract from class work, it can also be messy if something is spilled. School is for schooling, not for eating.

There is already a problem with anorexia in schools and this could vastly increase the already existing problem by making people feel bad for what they eat.
alaina113

Pro

I can see your point but teachers and principles are allowed food and drinks yet they could spill just as easily any child. Kids are also already bringing food into the classroom and messes/distractions don't seem to be a problem. In elementary schools children are able to have snacks for a certain period of time. If they are allowed food for a certain period of time, why wouldn't they be allowed the rest of the school day?! I also think that hunger is a bigger distraction than eating. A student can have trouble focusing and they won't be alert if they don't have food. Accidents happen though, but if a student spills they can just clean it up.
A341

Con

Potential hypocrisy

"I can see your point but teachers and principles are allowed food and drinks yet they could spill just as easily any child."

Personally I would rather have no one allowed food or drink (maybe water) including teachers though I see it as less of a problem because there are fewer teachers.

Trouble focusing

"I also think that hunger is a bigger distraction than eating."

Frankly if you can't go the couple of hours between the start of the day and lunch without food then you need therapy to deal with the addiction. A couple of hours without food should not make anyone hungry.

Disruption

"Accidents happen though, but if a student spills they can just clean it up."

Yes but that disrupts the lesson.

Quickly running over my arguments, food in class could cause:

Disruption,
Mess,
Aggravations to the problem of anorexia.

None of these arguments have been properly refuted and so I urge readers to vote con.
Posted by RochelleStone 3 years ago
RochelleStone
I think your topic is a good thing to debate on, but your debates don't have enough detail. Your debates need logic, and more than two sentences(no offense). If I were doing this debate I would say something like this:

Students of all ages should not be allowed to bring food into the classroom. Especially children of young ages. Imagine the commotion, distraction, and jealousy that could cause. When you are in class; it is a time of learning not eating. If children were allowed to eat during a lesson who do you think would get more attention, the food or the teacher. Most children already don't want to be in school, so it wouldn't be beneficial to anyone. Test scores would drop, teachers would lose jobs, and parents would be concerned about their child's education. Breakfast should be before, not during school. Thought I understand that all children don't have privilege of eating at home, I know that some schools do have a period before classes start that children go to the cafeteria and can eat breakfast then. I stand by my argument and say that food in classrooms would be disastrous for schools around the world.

That is what a debate should look like; or at least something like it. I hope i didn't offend anyone, I truly didn't mean to if I did. Thanks for reading my comment, and I hope it helps. Also don't take my debate from this comment and use it ;). Thank you!
Posted by Ozzyhead 3 years ago
Ozzyhead
I agree with pro, but the arguments are poorly constructed
Vote Placed by Geogeer 3 years ago
Geogeer
alaina113A341Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has failed to prove that food and drink should be allowed in the class. Con pointed out several fallacies in her argument.