emo_kidd
ThatLezChick

should students be allowed to listen to music during class

ThatLezChick
Started: 3/19/2015 Category: Music

emo_kidd

Pro

Most kids want to listen to music during class to help block out all the other kids screaming and yelling. Some kids can't work when everyone is yelling in their ear. For example i can"t work if there is someone screaming in to my ear. Some people may find that listening to music distracts them from concentrating, but for some people it helps them with focusing, memorizing, and keeping on task. Many people say that music takes stress off their mind by focusing on something else, such as work. Music has been shown to help kids with ADD/ADHD to concentrate better on the work that is in front of them and keeping their minds off distractions.
Many kids have family problems or social issues that may keep them up at night and by listening to music it can keep them awake during the day, instead of feeling the need of putting down their heads and taking a quick nap.
Teachers have problems with the use of IPods because they think that kids may be using them to cheat and get answers from a friend more simply and easily.
Statics show that 79% of students/workers listen to music while they are doing their job so that they can improve their productivity by keeping them focused on their job. Music is shown to help you focus. Music keeps the environment you are working in quieter because if everyone is listening to music they won't have time to talk to one another and create distractions.
But that brings up another problem that if students get so focused on their music will that force them to become anti-social? Students say that listening to music gives them a common interest for them to talk about with others when, of course, they are not listening to their IPods. For the people who can't keep their minds off the fight they got into with their best friend the night before or family issues, music seems to be the perfect solution to their problems.
Some people can think of pencils as distractions. Sources suggest that "always having to sharpen them, kids throw them, they write inappropriate notes with them, they can use them to cheat, they poke each other with them, they get pencil lead stuck in their fingers, they steal them, etc." distracts kids just as well as an ipod would. Statistics show that U31; of workers in the US listen to music while working to concentrate on what they are doing more efficiently.
Many officials have problems with students that may download inappropriate media and might be shown around campus as a distraction. Some people say that the music they listen to helps them with memorization. Many people, including myself, find it very easy to memorize lyrics to a song because of the beat and rhymes and now students are taking advantage of that ability and are using it to memorize whatever they might be learning.
Officials say kids might try listening to music during important class information or lectures but if there are some restrictions to listening to music such as turning off your music during lectures, while the teacher is talking, or during tests may not be followed. If they are not followed then there actions should lead to disciplinary consequences, just as any other rule not obeyed should be justified. People suffering with depression listen to music to help their mood rise.
Kids who are in bad moods can listen to music to help them keep their minds off of what is bringing them down and to lighten up their mood.
This could be a breakthrough in education, a positive step into the future, and aid to many.
We should be aloud to listen to music with minor limitations during school to keep us focused.
ThatLezChick

Con

Is it possible to leave a debate because I am on the pro not the con side.
emo_kidd

Pro

emo_kidd forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Con

Haha it worked I got you where I want you.

First if all students should bot be able to listen to music in class because it can distract them from their work and if they are doing it in class they could use it to cheat by recording the notes and playing them. They also won't be able to here instructions by the teacher if they are listening to music.

Rebuttals

"Most kids won't to listen to music in class to help them block out noise"
When students listen to music in class it is usually a distraction to other students. I have witnessed first hand students music being too loud and distracting students or tapping on desks and making it difficult to concentrate. If the music us pound enough to block out outside noise then it is loud enough to distract students around them.

"Kids with ADHD/ADD say it helps them concentrate."
I have ADHD and it distracts me more then it helps me. If a child with a learning disability tells me they need to do something to help them then I will allow that. Their is no reason a majority if students needs to listen to music unless they all have ADHD and all say it helps them concentrate.

"Many students have family problems that keep them up at night and music will help them stay awake during the day."
If a student has trouble stating awake you can go to the office and have a nap. Again if they do request to listen to music for a specific purpose then they can ask. The majority of students that do not have sleeping disorders don't need music to help them from falling asleep.

I can't scroll down to see your other rebuttals because I'm on an iPhone so sorry I can't add more.
emo_kidd

Pro

emo_kidd forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Con

Now that I am on a computer I will refute the rest of your arguments.

"But that brings up another problem that if students get so focused on their music will that force them to become anti-social?
No one is saying that music is making anyone anti-social. If we are talking about during class time here then students shouldn't be talking to each other in the first place. So music is just making kids more talkative during class time. In any group activity where kids would be talking to each other music would not be needed. In independent work students should not be talking to each other in the first place. During lunch or recess when students talk to each other neither would be listening to music.

"For the people who can't keep their minds off the fight they got into with their best friend the night before or family issues, music seems to be the perfect solution to their problems"
As stated before if a student needs to listen to music for a specific purpose then they can. There is no reason to turn it into a school wide rule.

"Sources suggest that "always having to sharpen them, kids throw them, they write inappropriate notes with them, they can use them to cheat, they poke each other with them, they get pencil lead stuck in their fingers, they steal them, etc." distracts kids just as well as an iPod would. Statistics show that U31; of workers in the US listen to music while working to concentrate on what they are doing more efficiently.
The problem with that argument is that we need pencils to work and I know that most students aren't distracted by pencils. There are more people that are just sitting and staring into space when they listen to music then throwing their pencils during a test.

"Many officials have problems with students that may download inappropriate media and might be shown around campus as a distraction. Some people say that the music they listen to helps them with memorization. Many people, including myself, find it very easy to memorize lyrics to a song because of the beat and rhymes and now students are taking advantage of that ability and are using it to memorize whatever they might be learning."
That is music in general. That can be used as a point to keep the music program in schools but that would not be a point to listen to music in class. We do not know that they are listening to the could be listening to the notes for the test their is no way to monitor it all so it is better for their to be none. They could be using their devices for showing inappropriate content but that s a point for how their should be no devices in schools.

"People suffering with depression listen to music to help their mood rise.
Kids who are in bad moods can listen to music to help them keep their minds off of what is bringing them down and to lighten up their mood."
People suffering from depression can listen to music but it will not help because depression is a mental illness. Your point may work for kids in bad moods but again if music is used for a specific purpose then it will be allowed the majority o students don't need music.

"This could be a breakthrough in education, a positive step into the future, and aid to many.
We should be aloud to listen to music with minor limitations during school to keep us focused."
In my school we are aloud to listen to music No one's mood has been lifted, kids are still falling asleep in class, their are no super geniuses. There is only cheating, cyber bullying and misuse. So now are deices have been taken away and the school is a much better place because of it. So your entire argument is inaccurate.
emo_kidd

Pro

emo_kidd forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Con

Student aren't going to benefit from listening to music in class. That is fact. Devices just distract kids from there work No body benefits except the ids get to play on their devices.
emo_kidd

Pro

emo_kidd forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Con

Vote for me.
Posted by americanmade23 1 year ago
americanmade23
the ability to listen to music in class and at school should be up to the student him/herself to decide and decipher when it is the proper time to listen to music once they are in high school of course.
Vote Placed by Ajabi 1 year ago
Ajabi
emo_kiddThatLezChickTied
Reasons for voting decision: I give Conduct to Con because of all the forfeits of Pro; I am giving arguments to Con because Con did provide alternatives to Pro, and s/he did argue against Pro. Seeing how Pro had the burden of proof, and that s/he never used any sources, or gave a coherent argument I vote Con. Happy to clarify. :)