Eliter
sunny.pujari

should students get suspended? Or even Expelled?

Eliter

Eliter

Pro

I believe that students should get suspended or even expelled. But, I would like to here from the opponents mind first.
sunny.pujari

Con

I accept the challenge.

One thing I want to make clear before starting though. I am completely for suspension and expelling if the child deserves it. I will be solely contradicting whatever argument you make and counter based on that.

I am looking forward to a fun debate!

I will open up with the fact that students that get suspended or even expelled usually do not care that they did. So I think the idea of "suspending" someone or "expelling" someone should be re-thought so that the punishment actually makes the student feel guilty for his/her actions.
Eliter

Pro

Wait. So, you are against suspension and expelling because you are Con.

But, nevertheless I must debate. I believe that we should all have suspension or expelling in school. Firstly, children who get suspended will know from their own mistakes. Secondly, I believe that when we have bad reputation, we would have to gain it back. In order to have a better reputation. We would have to study harder, get better grades and behave better. I once promised my dad if I get 2 A* and an A I would get a PC game. But, now I have changed my mind. Because, games aren't important. Only education. If we have to study harder, then we must have more homework. Nonetheless, there was a debate about Homework. Thus, I said yes, students should have homework. It is for their own good.
sunny.pujari

Con

Yes I am arguing against this because I am con.

Your points are completely valid, but I should remind you that we are debating about the topic on suspension and expelling. Students who get suspended or expelled are usually students that do not have any major educational goal hence they choose to do whatever they want and usually what they choose to do gets them expelled and or suspended. Now the reason why I am against this form of punishment is because it doesn't teach the student to stop taking actions that get him in trouble. I would like to hear from you how you think about these forms of punishment and if they are actually useful.

Right now my main argument is that both of these forms of punishment have no affect on the student that faces them and a new way to punish the kids needs to be found.
Eliter

Pro

I partly agree with you.

But, notice if somebody/someone does something wrong. They should be penalized. If someone/something posts something on the web, and the person sees it and doesn't like it. Then they should be penalized as well. I believe Suspension and expelling should be allowed in school. Because, we should learn from our mistakes and never do it again. Going to school is important, because you should have a huge sense of Pride and belonging to the school. Everyone one Earth should learn from their own mistakes.
sunny.pujari

Con

Yes, but the question I am posing is not what is getting answered. I completely agree with the fact that people should learn from their mistakes (regardless of whether or not it is intentional or not) and be penalized for them. The question I am asking is, are students that are getting expelled and/or suspended learning from their mistakes? I personally don't think so since the students that are usually expelled or suspended do not and I repeat DO NOT care about their academic career or they think they will be "popular" if they get suspended or expelled. Now you are partially correct because sometimes students who care about their career and all get suspended or expelled for various reasons and they learn from their mistakes, but those are not the kids we are focusing on. We want to know how to teach the students that don't care or don't learn or have any remorse from getting expelled or suspended. I personally think it is not worth having these forms of punishment because it is neither helping the student nor is it teaching the student a lesson. If anything we need to find a new way to punish these rebellious students so that they learn from their mistakes. Some schools give more homework to these students and threaten to fail them, but they still won't do anything because they do not care. There has to be a way to give a form of punishment to these students to make them understand. Suspension and expelling a student is just not a reliable form of punishment for these rebellious students.
Eliter

Pro

OK. Sunny.pujari, I will answer your question now. Hope we have a nice round of debate now.

I believe people are learning from their mistakes after getting suspended or expelled. What I mean is that, I don't think they will like telling other people about their suspension. But, I disagree with what YOU are saying. It's helping the students to learn a better attitude, it's helping other teachers to think: "that student is under suspension right now. I think he's thinking of what he has done". You may think differently but, I know what it feels like being suspended. I myself have been in suspension before. Now, that I have learned not to do it again. I must not. We should choose to do what right action at the right time. Just like the Dharma Wheel. Buddhists chooses the right time to take right action. People who don't think about what they done. They won't learn and just keep on doing it again. So, I think suspension will hopefully cure their behavior.

Very Nice debating with you. May the best man win!
sunny.pujari

Con

I have no denial to what you are saying but the one fact I am trying to get across is are the students really thinking about what they have done when under suspension. I am sorry to hear you had to personally go through this but you are a person who made a honest to god mistake hence you were willing to make amendments and learn. Most students are not like that. All I am trying to say is we should have a form of punishment equal to suspension or expelling that will force the kid to regret his decision so that most students that face this form of punishment learns from their mistake. There is no need for suspending or expelling a kid if they will not learn from their mistakes and the goal of this punishment is to make sure all kids learn. We need a more effective way of punishing students that deserve it so that they will know that they should never do anything of the sorts again and abide by the rules.

So my closing argument is that Schools should find a new way to punish students so that they learn from the mistakes they have made. I feel suspension is just plain not enough.

Thanks for a great debate and Good Luck in the polls! I have a feeling this one is going to be a close one!
Posted by Cowboy0108 3 years ago
Cowboy0108
Expulsion isn't as much for punishing students as it is to take the distraction or problem causer out of the school.
Posted by Cowboy0108 3 years ago
Cowboy0108
Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
The contender's main contention is that there should be alternative to expulsion and suspension, but he failed to mention a substitute. This is a failure to offer a counter-proposal that could have support his claim.
Vote Placed by TheAntidoter 3 years ago
TheAntidoter
Elitersunny.pujariTied
Reasons for voting decision: Eilter gained arguments, as sunny never countered the fact of expelling for reasons other then learning, such as breaking the law n' stuff.
Vote Placed by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Elitersunny.pujariTied
Reasons for voting decision: I understood what Con was saying . . . that suspension and expulsion for students doesn't always teach them anything, but it should alarm their parents, who have custody over them. I view suspension and expulsion as a way of temporarily keeping troublesome students away from other students and out of the hands of teachers, who have better things to do - like teach. As Pro pointed out, some students understand that suspension is a punishment, and others just don't care.