mcsoccer4
The_Master_Riddler

should students have to wear uniforms in school?

mcsoccer4

Con

I have a debate on this topic for class tomorrow so id love to practice.

I do not believe students should be forced to wear school uniforms. Uniforms take away the ability to express who they are. You can make first impressions about a person from the clothes he/she wears. Uniforms should not be a focus in school. Shouldnt classes be the main focus? Uniforms can also limit a students creativity.
Uniforms also cost a lot of money. Brand name clothes cost a lot too, but you would have to buy mulitple sets of the uniform..plus a few for gym classes .
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Okay, I believe (personally and because I am Pro) that kids should have no decision on what the student wears to school. I believe that the school should be allowed to have a mandatory dress code a.k.a. uniforms. The reason why I belive that is 1. it helps decrease school violence, 2. because students might wear clothes that can distract students from the learning environment, and 3. because uniforms are cheaper (unless you go to a private school).

I believe that the definitions are self explanatory and do not need to be re-defined for the debate.

Contention One: Standard dress code helps decrease school violence.
There are many stories about how kids get hurt or hurt other kids based on what they wear, but one story in particular shows how violent students get when talked about concerning their clothes. On September 21, 1990, a girl stabbed a guy because he made fun of what she had on. That man died. Now, this action could have easily been prevented if they had school uniforms. How lame would it sound for you to go up and say, "Hey, that shirt is ugly." when you have on the exact same shirt? It would sound very lame and it will kill the tension in the room.
Statistics that prove the use of uniforms decrease school violence:
At Long Beach, crime rates dropped by 91%, school suspensions dropped 90%, sex offense crimes dropped 96%, vandalism went down 69%, and assault went down 85%.

Contention Two: Students might wear clothes that will distract kids at school.
I once went to Wal-Mart and saw a dude with a shirt with a girl and a guy having sex on the front. This is an inappropriate sight to see for students and teachers. Because of school uniforms, we don't have to worry about our kids, cohorts, and colleagues being blinded by inappropriate pictures on a shirt.

Contention Three: It cost less.
Most uniforms that schools ask you to buy are regular polo shirts that you can get universally. The shirts are in fact multi- purposely used (you can use them for any occasion). One polo shirt I can find costs $5-$10 at Wal-Mart. The most expensive polo shirt at a private school I went to cost $26-$30. Not only that, there are many programs that the school district offers (at least in Houston, TX) that provides free uniforms to everyone. That means you don't have to pay a dime. So compare $0 to $26 to a US Polo Shirt that at youth sizes alone cost $55 and adult size $125. Now gym t-shirts are usually $5, so unless that is a lot of money, you can pay that in a breeze. In fact, it is sad to say but uniforms are in fact cheaper than name brands that my opponent referred to.

Refutations
Uniforms take away the ability to express who they are.
So let's assume a girl was a prostitute.
This is my opponent's logic.

We should be allowed to express who we are through the clothes we wear.
A girl is a prostitute.
Therefore, she should be allowed to wear a shirt with the picture of two people having sex on the street because that is what she does for a living.

This is a big no-no.

I refuted his other argument in the third contention. Back to you mcsoccer4.
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
mcsoccer4

Con

mcsoccer4 forfeited this round.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Extend all arguments to next round.
mcsoccer4

Con

mcsoccer4 forfeited this round.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Extend all arguments.
mcsoccer4

Con

mcsoccer4 forfeited this round.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Extend all arguments.
mcsoccer4

Con

mcsoccer4 forfeited this round.
Posted by The_Master_Riddler 1 year ago
The_Master_Riddler
Now, I am not saying that uniforms will solve all problems. I am pointing out that there are many ways how uniform is beneficial to the school. As I said earlier, uniforms decrease school violence. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will get rid of it. It also depends on the school. Some schools who are known for problems typically have more fights than other schools. There might be some beef between some students over something that is not as trivial as what someone is wearing. That is something uniforms can't handle. And in reference to the prostitute comment I made, some people have to do things to survive. Teachers are there to teach, not to guide. That is why we have guidance counselors. If you want, you can debate me about this same topic. And by the way, I know the difference between dress code and uniforms.
Posted by Katy.O 1 year ago
Katy.O
For Pro: I'm afraid you have been mistaken because there is a difference between dress code and uniforms. You see my father is in the military and I have been to two different schools in the past year, and the one that I am currently at has uniforms. I have compared the two schools and the bullying rate at each school is the same. I have also noticed that there have been more fights at my current school (uniforms) in the past month then there have been at my old school (no uniforms) in the previous entire year I was there. Also dress codes eliminate inappropriate clothing etc., uniforms make everybody wear the same thing. Also with the prostitute comment: you see, last time I have checked there aren't prostitutes at school. If there is wouldn't something be done about that? Now all of the problems you have listed you say can only be solved by uniforms? But isn't that why we have teachers, administrators, etc.? We can not just depend on uniforms to solve all of schools problems.