tdillon2017
Theunkown

should teachers be allowed to have cellphones at school

Theunkown

tdillon2017

Con

They can be used to cyber bully kids, they are a distraction
Theunkown

Pro

You say they 'Cyber bully kids', i do not think that teachers would be spending class time would be bullies. But for arguments sake lets say they did. I do not think they would spend class time to send a mean text to a kid in class. Besides if they the teacher does have contact information of a child then the teacher can always cyber bully from home. School or home does not make a difference. In fact teachers wont be cyber bullying at school in the first place. They would be bullying in the traditional way since the student is right there, if they bully at all.

You say that they will be a distraction to students, well this is agreeable to some extent but there is a possibility of an emergency (such as the teacher's spouse/child is in critical condition due to accident). And teachers know that nobody should call them unless it is urgent (they should tell their contacts that). Even if that does not seem good enough, they have break times where they can use phones.
tdillon2017

Con

They should not be able to unless it is an emergency. Some students look up to think they can rely on them to help with everyday things and if they are to busy on their cell phones then who could they look up to.
Theunkown

Pro

My opponent stated that teachers "should not be able to [use cellphones] unless it is an emergency"
That means that teachers will need to have their cellphones at school in order to respond to such emergencies.
Of course, I agree with my opponent's point that teachers should not be spending class time texting on their phones or something of the sort. But in order to respond to emergencies they will need to carry cellphones to school as I stated above.
Hence teachers should be allowed to have cellphones at school.

In addition cellular devices can be used in other ways as well which is productive for the class. For instance, if it is a smartphone then the teacher can look up information if a student asks a tough question. Even though there may be laptops or such devices, a smartphone is a good backup device if the teacher's original device is not functioning properly. Hence teachers should be allowed cellphones at school.
tdillon2017

Con

tdillon2017 forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

Oh well, thanks for a good first debate on this site!
tdillon2017

Con

tdillon2017 forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

Continue to next round
tdillon2017

Con

tdillon2017 forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

In the final round I would like to give reason as to why the voters should vote for pro (just a formality).
1) In the second round, my opponent has conceded that teachers will need cell phones in school to respond. Hence he/she has been convinced by my CONVINCING ARGUEMENTS.
2) I addressed my opponent as 'you' in the first round. I am new to this site and was not aware that they should be referred to as my opponent. I also referred to my opponent properly from the second round onwards. I would ask my voters kindly NOT to PENALIZE me on CONDUCT.
3) My opponent asked a question in round two and did not place a question mark. Hence, I appeal to voters to vote for me on the point of GRAMMAR.
4) (This is the most obvious one)My opponent has forfeited three rounds.
Posted by tdillon2017 3 years ago
tdillon2017
what does that even mean???? i couldnt get on because my access to a computer was limited and i couldnt get on. sorry that i am a mess up. you proved good points thanks for commenting on this question. goodbye:'(
Posted by Theunkown 3 years ago
Theunkown
180 days for a voting period?
@tdillon2017, are you trying to troll? Because this is not funny.
Posted by Theunkown 3 years ago
Theunkown
woops, I must apologize for doing my rebuttal rather than my opening statement in the first round. I shall try to do an opening statement in the second round if it can be fit there in some way
Vote Placed by Themba 3 years ago
Themba
tdillon2017TheunkownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct-FF.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
tdillon2017TheunkownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Using "you" is slight informality, not a conduct violation. Forfeiting is a conduct violation. As Pro pointed out, Con conceded by admitting teachers should have phones for emergencies. The resolution was that they should not have phones. Pro correctly argued that the possibility of misuse was too small to justify a ban. Pro might have also argued that teachers who misbehave can be fired, a strong disincentive.