ceci.paranjothi
proanimator

should teens have their phones in their room at night?

Started: 7/21/2015 Category: Technology

ceci.paranjothi

Pro

i am a teenager and I have a phone. my parents make me turn in my phone at 10 every night EVEN IN THE SUMMER! they think that I will be up all night destracted by it, but in reality I like to read before I go to bed. my body knows when im tired so that's when I turn off my lamp and shut my eyes. do they not trust me? I get anxiety at night and I feel a lot safer when im alone at night when I know my phone is in the room ( I know I can call someone if I feel endanger ) but I feel my parents think im lieing about that. they even make me turn in my phone when I have a friend sleeping over they still make me turn it in and sometimes they even make my friend turn in their phone too! and my other friends don't have to turn their phone in. feel I need my phone for the time, alarm, and sometimes calendar and since I have a phone I don't get why we should have to spend money on a new alarm clock and watch. shoudnt my parents trust me!?
proanimator

Con

Assuming you're a minor, that is under 18 years of age, your parents have full rights over you, and by law, you don't have legal possession of anything, (even if you used your money to purchase it) until you turn 18 years old. Considering this, we see that your parents have full legal responsibility of taking your phone off of you whenever they want to. Period.

Now, let us consider the moral side of this argument. Is it morally acceptable to take your phone off of you at 10:00 PM? Certainly. Some children have to go to sleep at a specific time, and a lot of children don't even have phones. It is not abnormal for you parents to care about you, and want to ensure that you get proper sleep every night. 10:00 PM certainly seems like a reasonable time.
ceci.paranjothi

Pro

my parents don't understand my charger is on the other side of my room (I like my phone fully charged when I wake up) so when that my body is tired and I need to wind now I go plug in my phone and lay back in bed and go to sleep or read,all I want is one week to prove to my parents that I can be responsible at night with my phone so they should let me have my phone for 1 week in my room to see if I can wake up by myself at a decent time and not be tired all day, shouldn't they trust me?
proanimator

Con

proanimator forfeited this round.
ceci.paranjothi

Pro

ceci.paranjothi forfeited this round.
proanimator

Con

proanimator forfeited this round.
ceci.paranjothi

Pro

ceci.paranjothi forfeited this round.
proanimator

Con

proanimator forfeited this round.
ceci.paranjothi

Pro

ceci.paranjothi forfeited this round.
proanimator

Con

proanimator forfeited this round.
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
Also, the part about feeling safer with you phone in your room makes sense; I feel exactly the same way. My parents once took away my phone and computer, and I went and just took them right back. My philosophy is this: Complacency and obedience towards others is a sign of weakness. Never conform.
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
Pro should really take up the moral argument for this one, but there is a good logical argument too. I am on the Pro side, and I am also a minor. My brain is capable of processing rational thought, which means I know the pros and cons of staying up on my phone all night. As the cons mostly outweigh the pros - though there are indeed cases in which it is the other way around - I choose to plug in my phone and keep it on my desk, at which point I get into bed and go to sleep. Logically, if one stays up on their phone all night, they would likely wake up very tired, and they would learn from that mistake. From a neurological standpoint, one makes neural connections by learning from experience, NOT from being coerced. Morally, parents taking their child's property away is wrong. Theft is immoral. I am not talking about the legal definition of theft, but instead the actual definition that you would find by looking in the dictionary for "theft." I could go on, but this is not my debate. I shall cease my rant now.
Posted by BenH22 2 years ago
BenH22
Teenagers should be allowed thier phones an night. If they are tired af the next day then thats their problem. I am slightly less against taking it away on school night but still...
Posted by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
As a teenager I can confirm I will stay up all night on my phone/other electronics. Sorry, just being honest.
Posted by theallknowingginger 2 years ago
theallknowingginger
What have we come to where this is a debate, i hate to sound like an old bastard but really? The screen alone will keep you up longer then normal. If you need a phone because you don't feel safe, either talk to your parents or the authorities. I