cilla_e
Keeyan

should the Nhs treat self inflicted illnesses

cilla_e

Con

Should the NHS use up valuable resources to treat self inflicted illness? by self inflicted i mean those that are obese or have lung cancer due to excessive smoking or may have liver cirrhosis due to alcholism. these people have been warned according to the government that their lifestyle will lead to bad consequences yet they still continue with this poor lifestyle and expect treatment when things go haywire. however there are people out there whose illesses are not of their fault who arent getting the best that they can because of the compromises that the NHS has to make at times. i think that the NHS should make those with self inflicted illnesses pay for their treatment. It cost the NHS tons of money annually to deal with these cases.
Keeyan

Pro

I accept your challenge good sir and/or madam! I shall strive to demonstrate that all are worthy of assistance, regardless of poorly made personal choices.

Also, am I too assume you are British/a Commonwealth citizen due to the reference to the National Health Service?
cilla_e

Con

I agree that all are worthy of assistance, however if they knowingly caused the reason for which they require the assistance then should they really be given this assistance. Alot of people seem to go for the Pro argument but i am curious as to why?
To me its like telling a someone fire is dangerous and warning them not to place their hands in fire, however the the perso ignores the warning and still puts their hand in the fire and gets burnt. But they know that they will get free and quality treatment for the burn so they will not hesitate to commit the act again. Rubbish analogy, i know. but thats the way i see it.
the nhs give free treatment at the moment and i think that people take it for granted.
And yes i am from the United knigdom
Keeyan

Pro

It is important to consider that the world is not perfect, and that even though there are many cases of health problems one may consider "self-inflicted", the people in question may not have had a real choice in the matter. Allow me to digress momentarily. I went to a supermarket based on healthy foods this morning; the bill for a few groceries game to CDN$121 (give or take GBP 67). I also went to McDonalds this afternoon; the bill came to $8 (GBP 4.50). My point here is that the healthy option tends to be exorbitantly priced, and therefore unavailable to most of the population (at least on a regular basis). Should we deny healthcare to the thousands of people who are forced to eat convenient, affordable filth for monetary reasons?
cilla_e

Con

cilla_e forfeited this round.
Keeyan

Pro

I have many more arguments (physical harm caused by mental illness, drugs, depression, etc.), but for some reason this debate has a 750 character limit. My opponent's only point is that "people should know better" and I believe that I have successfully countered it in my previous argument. I am a firm believer that healthcare should be provided to anyone who needs it, regardless if it was ostensibly self-inflicted or not. Such care should be a fundamental right for all humans, and not just a privilege for those who others deem to deserve it.
Thank you, and please vote fairly.
Have a nice day!
Posted by Wocambs 2 years ago
Wocambs
God damn double comment.
Posted by Wocambs 2 years ago
Wocambs
I don't think there'd be much work for the NHS left to do if they only treated diseases and injuries that were completely unforseeable and unpreventable.
Posted by Wocambs 2 years ago
Wocambs