morganhill
Fluer

should the TLC show Toddlers and Tiaras be considered child abuse?

Fluer

morganhill

Con

The show toddlers and tiaras should not be considered child abuse. The little girls love doing the pageants and winning, and as long as they're happy with what they're doing its fine. Make up doesn't hurt, nor does spray tans or dresses. It's okay to do all of this to your child, as long as your comfortable with it and your child is. there is no abuse happening on the show. All they do is dress up and do a pageant. Everyone does beauty pageants when they're older so theres no difference in starting your child out at a younger age soo they have a better chance to do well when they're older.
Fluer

Pro

I accept your debate.
Before I discuss my main substantive points, which are;
1. Children's mental development
2. Parental pressure
I will rebut the points brought up by Con.
1. They like winning the pageants
Thery may like winning them but they will not like losing them. Since they are so young they cannot fully comprehend this situation and be a "good sport" about it. They are going to feel like they were not pretty enough, not worthy and they feel like they are letting their parents down. This is why competition at this age is damaging for the children mentally. I will discuss their love for pageants in my substantive.
2. Make up doesn't hurt
This I have to completely disagree with. When these young girls are covered in make up and put on display to compete against other girls based mostly on their beauty they immeadiately have this idea that natural i snever going to be pretty. Not only does this harm their own self image by making them relient on make up to achaive this beauty their parents are telling them they need but it also means that they are far more likely going to have a stigma against other people who don't wear make up. They can never see them as baeutiful and they now have a measurable idea of what beauty is, ie how much make up someone is waering.
3. It is ok for parents to consent to this as long as their children are "comfortable with it"
Most of this will be dealt with by my substantive but I will touch on it briefly. Children this age do not know what is best for them. They are not capable of making logical desicions and therefore they are under the will of their parents. Children should not be subjected to public displays of this kind solely on the will of their parents. This is because it is a oubliclly broadcast competition and the government then has the ability to step in and take control over these situations and I believe they should on the grounds that you presented: child abuse.
4. "All they do is dress up and do a pageant"
No. What they do is get put into a publically displayed competition based on subjective and material beauty. This is wrong for the reasons I have already brought and the reasons I will bring later.
5." Everyone does beauty pageants when they're older"
This is factually incorrect making your next point about preperation irrelevant.

On to my main case now.
1. Children's mental development
At such a young age the most important part of a child's development is taking place. They're social and emotional development is disorientated by these types of shows. Children cannot deal with this type of pressure. In Britain there have been many investigations launched as one ten year old girl broke down on a live talent show. What makes Toddlers and Tiaras even worse is that is gives them the belief that they can only be beautiful if they are caked in make up and sparkling costume. This is very damaging to they're social and emotional development limiting their chances of growing up to be well rounded adults.
2. Parental pressure
The very description of the show on the TLC website suggests just how much parental pressure is involved. One phrase, "big titles, and lots of cash", gives us the idea of just how much is at stake to begin with which immediately puts pressure on the young children. Children this young are mainly influenced by their families so what usually happens is that they want to win things to please family members. The cash is also just an incentive for the adults as kids views on the value of money are severely impaired at this age and the money is going to be handled mostly by the parents anyway. Another phrase, "drama ensues when every parent wants to prove that their child is beautiful", really proves that this is a programme very much based around giving titles to little children in order to prop up their families honour. To up hold the family honour is too much of a burden for a young child to carry when it is completely unnecessary.

For the reasons that the children's mental development is damaged and this is an unnecessary pressure from their parents the show Toddlers and Tiara's has to be considered child abuse.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com...
morganhill

Con

morganhill forfeited this round.
Fluer

Pro

My opponent has yet to rebut any of the points I have presented so extend my argument for this round.
morganhill

Con

The children don't suffer at all. If anything those children will grow up more confident than anyone of the other kids that don't do pageants. Winning will boost their self esteem and help them through life. I think it's okay because kids love it.
Fluer

Pro

Fluer forfeited this round.
Posted by Mak-zie 4 years ago
Mak-zie
I apologize-"their" should be "they're" on my vote.
Posted by ejh238 5 years ago
ejh238
I assume fluer felt he was wasting his time with you. Anyway, what do you think will happen to those that don't win? Will their confidence be shattered equal to the confidence raised by the single winner?
Vote Placed by Mak-zie 4 years ago
Mak-zie
morganhillFluerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con: Actually, if you've seen Toddlers and Tiaras, a lot of the kids hate it, but their pressured by their parents.