kera10-11
BellumQuodPacis

should the federal goverment make cyberbullying a federal crime

BellumQuodPacis

kera10-11

Con

your fat,your skinny,your dirty , im going to pound your face...these are all commonly said over via internet,text messages and other places for that matter.these are also said to one and another.They all still hurtful words and phrases.cyber-bullyin is just a 21st century way of doing the same thing that has been going on for thousand years incept it became more sophisticated and high-tec.My belief is that current laws are adequate. I think that schools should include usage adequate training in all technology lasses that makes students aware of what cyberbullying is and the harm it can cause . This trainig will include professsional development for teachers ,adminstartors and others school employees that have access to technology in school. It will provide workshops for parents regarding how to prevent cyber-bullying how to monitor thier children computers activities and how to use technology in thier homes to block or restrict harmfil applications.School boards deal with cyber bullying. As well as the state house bill 199 make it illegal against it . The consequence is community service and/or jail time .CYBER-BULLYING AND BULLYING CROSS STATE LINES BUT CONSEQUENCE FOOLOW AS WELL . lAWS ARE ALSO in affect it will cause the goverment money.according to cyber smart they are distrubuting cyber bullyin packages all over the country . I think by putting more laws in effect it will cause the goverment more money.There are plenty of ways to avoid cyber-bullying with out causing the goverment more money . If you are being cyber-bullying over via internet myspace have a block page as well as facebook,myyearbook and other websites.Basically what im trying to say is i believe that the laws that currently exist at the school level and state level are more than adequate .so ther is no need to invovle the federal goverment.
BellumQuodPacis

Pro

Greetings. I thank my opponent kera10-11 for starting this debate and wish her the best of luck.

------
Refutation
------

"your fat,your skinny,your dirty , im going to pound your face...these are all commonly said over via internet,text messages and other places for that matter."

For one thing, if someone called me skinny, I'd be thanking them, not crying. Unless my goal is to be obese. First let's analyze what cyberbullying really is.

""Cyberbullying" is when a child, preteen or teen is tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted by another child, preteen or teen using the Internet, interactive and digital technologies or mobile phones."[1]

As we can see, you have accurately provided an example of cyberbullying. However, if a threat such as "I'm going to pound your face in" is made via cyberbullying, something clearly must be done.

-----
Refutation 2
-----

"I think that schools should include usage adequate training in all technology lasses that makes students aware of what cyberbullying is and the harm it can cause . This trainig will include professsional development for teachers ,adminstartors and others school employees that have access to technology in school. It will provide workshops for parents regarding how to prevent cyber-bullying how to monitor thier children computers activities and how to use technology in thier homes to block or restrict harmfil applications."

This would sound as if it were a very good plan, however, the majority of schools have already implemented some sort of anti-cyberbullying system in order to detect cyberbullying in the classroom. For example, the Pittsburgh School District has already set aside a budget to tackle cyberbullying [2] but yet has still to prove successful in other states. For instance, just recently in my homeotwn of Pembroke Pines, FL. Near here, a school called Deerfield Beach Middle resides. After sending numerous thretaing texts to a classmate, Wayne Treacy, 15, attacked a classmate and violently kicked her and pounded her face with a steel toed boot. All due to cyberbullying. The most he is being charged with is assault. If cyberbullying was a federal crime, not only would it deter this from happening again, but it would also make sure that those who do act, get their proper punishment. Even if they are provoked. [3]

-----
Argument 1
-----

Of course, as you say, any new plan implemented by the government will cost it more money, some plans are a waste, (bailout) and other can be beneficial (i.e. Cyberbullying). The FBI is willing to help detect cyberbullying in order to prevent it. [4]

You say that teachers need to be given programs to help them, however, you are not following your resolution. This does not support or challenge that cyberbullying should be a federal crime.

Until next round. Adieu. Thank you for your time.

[1]: http://www.stopcyberbullying.org...
[2]: http://www.post-gazette.com...
[3]: http://www.palmbeachpost.com...
[4]: http://www.stopcyberbullying.org...
kera10-11

Con

With all do respect to my opponent I would have to strongly have disagree .....First, legislation would be ineffective. Second, laws against cyberbullying would be in violation of the first amendment, Freedom of Speech. Finally, there are already rules and laws in place that can address some aspects of cyberbullying.
According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, to bully means to use abusive language against another person. It also means to use intimidating language or behavior. Cyber refers to the Internet. Nancy Willard, Director of the Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use defines cyberbullying as "using the internet or other mobile devices to send or post harmful or cruel text or images to bully others." In most of the reported cases, cyberbullying is limited to online insults about someone's physical appearance, friends, clothing, or sexuality. Bullying is first and foremost bad behavior. Laws cannot stop people from behaving badly. An example—standing in line at the grocery store. Someone comes and cuts in front of you. Is this bad behavior? Yes. Is it rude? Yes. Is it illegal? No. Another example: There are speed limit laws. All of us have seen people breaking this law. The reality is, the speed limit law only works when someone gets caught. The internet allows people to bully others and remain relatively unknown. Victims often don't know who is bullying them, and think that because they don't know, the bully cannot be identified. Because of this as well as embarrassment, many victims don't report cyberbullying.
If the government were to pass cyberbullying laws that are currently being debated, here are some scenarios under which the average citizen could be fined and/or go to jail:
�Repeatedly petitioning (harassing a politician), emailing severe words such as hypocrite, fool, traitor
�B logs and editorials using the same type of language
�Shaming a public figure
�Repeatedly and angrily emailing a company that re
One bill that has been introduced several times and dismissed is the
H.R. 1966 Act, also known as Megan Meier Cyblerbullying Prevention Act. It proposes felony charges for cyberbullying and harassment. However, this bill has not been successful because it has been determined to violate the Freedom of Speech amendment.fuses to refund money owed
The First Amendment to the Bill of Rights in the United States Constitution states that the Government shall make no laws restricting or prohibiting the freedom of speech. Basically, citizens can say anything they want. According to Steven Brown of the American Civil Liberties Union, it will be very hard to write a cyberbullying law that does not violate the Freedom of Speech. In Illinois, Neo-Nazis went to a town where the majority of residents were Jewish and over 7000 were Holocaust survivors. The Nazi's were allowed to disseminate their anti-Jewish literature and give anti-Jewish rallies. The Illinois Supreme Court determined that just because the speeches were offensive and ethically wrong, they were not illegal under the Freedom of Speech amendment. The Supreme Court also stated that no one was forcing anyone to read the literature or listen to the speeches. (www.privacydigest.com) We can apply this to Internet usage. Internet usage is not a need. It is a luxury. We can't live without it. If something is offensive on the Internet, it can be turned off. Currently, 41 states have laws that deal with some aspect of cyberbullying. Also to date, no one has been convicted of a crime relatated to cyberbullying. In perhaps the most famous cyberbullying case, Megan Meier committed suicide after being bullied. Lori Drew, the mother of another teen, set up a fake MySpace account of a boy. The "boy" talked to Megan and said nice things then quickly changed and said the world would be better without Megan in it. Megan committed suicide. Lori Drew was convicted of some minor offenses but will serve no time. No one would argue that what Ms. Drew did was horrible, but it was not illegal according to a court. It was proven that Megan had suicidal thoughts before this incident. What Ms. Drew was found guilty of was violating MySpace's Terms of Usage. In a random sampling of 2000 profiles on MySpace, 49% of these users were found to have violated Terms of Usage by lying about something, usually age, town, or name.
In addition there is no need to make cyber-bullying a crime .... This conclude my round 2 speech i would also like to wish my opponent the bests luck !!!
BellumQuodPacis

Pro

BellumQuodPacis forfeited this round.
kera10-11

Con

kera10-11 forfeited this round.
BellumQuodPacis

Pro

BellumQuodPacis forfeited this round.
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
Banker, Meat yor futr wyfe...
Posted by kera10-11 6 years ago
kera10-11
I dont get how you say im makin no sense but yet it makes perfect sense .....As you read the comment sunder this debate i was asked to fix my spelling and grammar as well as i did that why it diffrent from my first arguement i posted. ok? the grammar in my arguement and in my comments are diffrent because they are two diffrent things .ok?it looks diffrent because unllike most i type my speeches up on micros microsoft word pad wher you can edit your front sizes and things like that then after i am done typing i go to edit and have the computer check spelling so it can be fix .ok?then i post my arguement .ok? so just as you stated if this continue people will get suspicous ... i can assure you it will continue and if people get suspicious thats there problem not mine .ok?{does it make sense now
Posted by BellumQuodPacis 6 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
Ummm what? Your making no sense at all right now for one. Two, look at the dramatic change in spelling from your comment. I mean honestly you can't blame me even if I am wrong. Regardless, I will still debate, however I assure you if this continues to happen, people will become suspicious.
Posted by kera10-11 6 years ago
kera10-11
DUE to you stating that my arguements have nothing to do with me resolution that is false saying because the topics is cyberbullying should be a federal crime? I am con which is stating why it shouldnt be a federal crime and if you was not to busy worrying about my change in grammar you would see the reason why it shouldnt be a federal crime in my two arguements but once again with all do respect as i am now being accused of PLAYZARISM AND BEING OFF TOPIC i really dont care what you think ......so keep your opinions coming because this not about you it's about the topic
Posted by kera10-11 6 years ago
kera10-11
do you have any idea that playzarism is illegal i dnt do any illegal things at all im very smart and very fast of a typer im srry it dnt take me 8 hours or 3 weeks or 2days to write an argument i do my research as well as you do .you are welcome to copy the speech and type it in wikipedia to see if it playzarism or do anything to see if it is playzarism.but i can assure you that it is my very own speech .as for the grammer the first round it was kinda rough but i was asked in one of the comments as you can see to clean my spelling grammer as well as i did change my grammer in round two i was taught to use correct grammer any way .im being accused of playzarism when i know this is my very own i have a right to be disrespectful and rude however i was also taught to show respect all the time so im srry you feel as though im copy and taking someone eles speech. IN THAT CASE MAYBE THIS SHOULD BE A WEBCAM DEBATE SO I CAN PROVE THIS IS MY VERY OWN SPEECH .ONCE AGAIN SRRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY BUT I DONT CARE ....GOODLUCK LOL !!!
Posted by BellumQuodPacis 6 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
Besides, that's nothing to do with your resolution
Posted by BellumQuodPacis 6 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
I strongly suspect plagiarism as your argument was posted in less than an hour after mine, and your spelling and grammar changes as well and is evident in the last sentence of your argument
Posted by Loserboi 7 years ago
Loserboi
I never understood the big deal about cyber bullying
Posted by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
change time per round to 72 hours and i will take this
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Fix the spelling.
Vote Placed by BellumQuodPacis 6 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
kera10-11BellumQuodPacisTied
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
kera10-11BellumQuodPacisTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 6 years ago
JBlake
kera10-11BellumQuodPacisTied