tatorsun
funnycn

should the federal minimum wage be set to automatically increase with inflation?

funnycn
Started: 10/3/2014 Category: Economics

tatorsun

Pro

I think it should so people can remain working with a wage suitable to survive.
funnycn

Con

I hesitated because you were new but I love business and when it comes to topics like this I have to accept. I'll post my argument now.

"I think it should so people can remain working with a wage suitable to survive."

Now when you state this you're not thinking about the people who own the business who also need to survive.

The minimum wage is $7.25. Now, if you were to increase this to match inflation, there would be some issues.

Worker Joe makes $7.25 an hour and there is 1.6% inflation right now. Seems small but it really isn't. The higher ups are still making about $10 an hour. To match inflation, Worker Joe would now make $7.36. This is actually more than you think. Let's say at a fast food restaurant they work for 8 hours a day, still making $7.25.

At the end of the day everyone would make $58. Let's say there are 10 people in the kitchen and working the cash register in total working for minimum wage. That would cost the business $580 a day for the workers.

Now if you were to increase minimum wage match inflation it would look like this.

$58.88 a day, $588.8 for each worker. That's an 8 cent INCREASE to match inflation. Annually, if we were to match inflation the annual cost to keep the workers would be $7065.6.

Without matching inflation, the cost to keep the workers annually would be $6,960. That's a HUGE cost difference. If we were to match inflation, the business would run out of money and have to close down. Then what would happen? Everyone that was getting paid would lose their jobs. So much for surviving on minimum wage that matches inflation.

So in short, increasing minimum wage would cost businesses hundreds of dollars MORE and would actually make LESS jobs and would backfire. If you really want them to survive, keep minimum wage the same.
tatorsun

Pro

tatorsun forfeited this round.
funnycn

Con

...forfeiture...
tatorsun

Pro

tatorsun forfeited this round.
Posted by funnycn 3 years ago
funnycn
I would accept but I'm not sure. I'm debating other new people. It should be interesting though.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
And hard work does not determine your worth. I made more doing trim than I did laying shingles. Its skill level was much higher, but the actual work is easier. And as I got older, easier was better.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
FIRST job was at a fast food place.You could train a chimpanzee to flip hamburgers.Don't tell me it takes skill. What it does have to offer is a work ethic. Learning to be on time. Taking directions from those who know the job.That is the real value of an entry level job. It certainly is not meant to raise a family on. And you want to tie minimum wage to inflation. That would cause inflation. As wages go up, so do prices.That first job was at minimum wage. $1.25/hour. That was for about 6 months. And that was the last time I worked minimum wage. If all you want to do with your life is flip hamburgers, then you better clean out your parents basement to live in.
Posted by Ozzyhead 3 years ago
Ozzyhead
First of all, fast food is hard, and it requires a lot of skill. It requires a variety of skills versus other jobs that require one or two. Secondly, these jobs may be helping students pay through school which they can't do on minimum wage with driving from school to work to home and either the grocery store or restaurants, on top of driving home every holiday, spending a lot on gas money alone, not to mention the price of these activities alone. Fast food looks simple on the face, but it is not. And this is not just talking about the occasional busy hour. This is all the time. Do not judge anyone's skill level based on their jobs. A teacher makes very little too, their job is hard. Why, many custodians make more than teacher's in the school they work at. But then again, their job is very hard too.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
How about those folks increase their skill level to justify an increase.Not wait for government to powder their behinds so they can afford to live.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
tatorsunfunnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
tatorsunfunnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture